Sheffield Clean Air Zone

1 minute ago, Nightbird said:

Electric cars lasting only for an hour is an out of date falsism; you could easily do a typical commute in an electric car nowadays. The problem is the lack of charging point infrastructure. The government needs to be brave and help accelerate the change, but the cultural and societal transition isn't going to be  smooth, but it needs to be done. 

We aren't talking about a "typical commute", we're talking about them being taxis....  They drive around for hours at a time, in an inefficient stop start pattern, often in traffic.  I doubt that a Tesla would manage 200 miles in that fashion.  Perhaps Ash could tell us how far he typically drives in a day?

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

THEY AREN'T ANY USE.  If they can only drive for an hour.  The cost of that hour is irrelevant, you can't have your taxi plugged in for 30 minutes out of every hour when you want to be working.

Thank goodness some more sense!

The LEVC really is the answer. It's not too different to pruis type thing.

It's obviously better, shown by how much they cost... but not allowing a small petrol engine to run the car when the batteries are low, is just nonsense. How can the council or anyone here with any sense see how impractical electric only is!

p.s. if you ever get a chance, take a ride in one of the 2 LEVCs in Sheffield. It's worth it just to try it. I got lucky and caught one a few months back, (the VXV one) and I knew the driver. He showed me its acceleration, - f - me, you wouldn't believe it! The LEVC is absolutely beautiful machine. Absolute luxury for taxi. However, it chuffin should be at that price! :hihi: If you hail VXV ask the driver anything, he's a top bloke. (I don't know the guy in the other one, but I'm sure he's used to questions about it too)

46 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

We aren't talking about a "typical commute", we're talking about them being taxis....  They drive around for hours at a time, in an inefficient stop start pattern, often in traffic.  I doubt that a Tesla would manage 200 miles in that fashion.  Perhaps Ash could tell us how far he typically drives in a day?

bold: I was going to respond  in answer to the other member, but you really this summed it up in one sentence.

to add to the other member: (nightbird)

If everyone who just goes to work and back, or takes kids to school or shops and back etc.  buys an electric vehicle it would be fine,  and would remove upto the 31% of Sheffield's pollution that transport other than HGV/LGV/BUS/TAXI causes. (using SCC figures)

-

Underlined - Difficult to say Cyclone, as mileage is not the only factor. I work in an area generally that is hilly. So range on an electric I can only go on what I've been told. Like I said the LEVC can't do much more than 50 without the engine kicking in, if going up hills.

Today I did none! In here all day and working on this.

A typical day might be 100 miles of driving. My average speed on the insignia says in the last 38k miles, I've averaged 13.8 mph. So much of it is standing traffic, or slow driving. At night also requires lights of course.  In day sometimes requires air con.

But then you never know from day to day. Though by no means typical, in fact, one of most bizarre jobs I've ever done. I got a job in Sheffield last friday, it was from Sheffield>Grimsby>West Ham>Wembley, then home. I did it all on one as well and was well over 400 miles.  And the way it happened meant even if I had 200 range would have been stranded. They kept extending the run. Initially the job was Sheffield to Doncaster, which I might have taken if I knew I had range.

Edited by *_ash_*

11 hours ago, geared said:

The story is the same in many places, Leeds is far worse, all they've got is a load of smelly buses that no-one wants anyway.

Well, they’ve got better park and ride facilities than we have. They have two large bus based park and ride sites and another in development. They also have a lot of rail based park and ride sites with more on the way. 

They haven’t got a tram system, but it isn’t for want of trying. They’ve tried to get a tram and a trolleybus in recent years. They are still looking to get some form of Mass Transit system in place, but these things take years to develop.

Leeds Council have recently said that they want to be a carbon neutral city by 2030, so they are going to have to get pretty radical with transport emissions to do that.

Leeds is quite different to Sheffield. The centre is much more tightly packed. Building a tram in that would be a nightmare in the centre.

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Leeds is quite different to Sheffield. The centre is much more tightly packed. Building a tram in that would be a nightmare in the centre.

Everywhere is different and has its own problems. There are routes where it’s probably feasible to get a tram through. 

If a typical day is 100 miles, you can definitely do that in an electric car. Even in hilly Sheffield.

11 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I saw a Nissan LEAF taxi in Blackpool on Saturday.  But I would guess all it does are lots of very short trips up and down the prom.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

If a typical day is 100 miles, you can definitely do that in an electric car. Even in hilly Sheffield.

That's an average day.  So if the distribution is between 50 and 150 on the less normal days, it has to be comfortably able to do 150, at 13.8mph, in whatever conditions are worse, the cold, with heating, wipers and lights used for most of the day.

Maybe it's possible, but I wouldn't spring for something that expensive on a maybe, I'd definitely want to see it proven.

Looking it up, it IS possible though, apparently, but I guess a taxi driver might want to talk (or email) these guys directly and ask about how they operate in their home cities (which I think are fairly flat).

https://insideevs.com/news/334976/it-turns-out-tesla-vehicles-really-make-great-taxis/

The cost savings actually sound quite impressive though.

Read the comments though, it appears that the article is somewhat on the shady side of "promotional material" for Tesla, with the figures for the maintenance costs of ICE cars having been inflated or just plain old made up.

Edited by Cyclone

12 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Well, they’ve got better park and ride facilities than we have. They have two large bus based park and ride sites and another in development. They also have a lot of rail based park and ride sites with more on the way. 

They have only just finished one of the three park and ride facilities though, but it is well placed being just off the motorway to catch commuters.

The city desperately needs a tram system or something similar though.

14 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I was inclined to agree with this but I'd argue you could say the same for Manchester, and they seem to have nailed it to be fair.