Sheffield Clean Air Zone

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

£10/day is over £200/month. add on the cost of buying fuel, and maintenance, and you're over half way to leasing a tesla.

you'd think a business man would be able to see that.

if someone has just spent a lot of money on a new diesel taxi: A) they're an idiot, and B) it'll be exempt from these charges.

Thank goodness you aren't my business adviser.

Can you explain how spending £200 a month more with help me save for a tesla?

The only one that fits the criteria is £39,000 for the basic model. Where do you suppose I'm going to get that from?

I work 7 days, for about £200-£250, so a loss of £70 a week will mean I'm finished in the trade (already know this, so discussing for others)

-

Also, no one is buying new diesels taxis.

The new LTI taxi is £65,000. An increase of £30,000 on the old one. Do you think this is reasonable?

Total sold in Sheffield so far - 0

Even with a station permit, they only pull £9 an hour (top line). The old fleet will retire (the limit is 15 years in sheffield), and there will be no black cabs left. So that's disabled people finished for using them.

-

Lastly, can you tell me what you say to the hundreds of drivers who have forked out over £20k for a pruis or similar hybrid, that SCC isn't exempt from the scheme? (even though all the other CAZ zones are allowing?) What about them? Are they idiots too?

Edited by *_ash_*

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Thank goodness you aren't my business adviser.

Can you explain how spending £200 a month more with help me save for a tesla?

leasing a Tesla costs something like £800/month, maybe less.

if your old diesel will be getting billed £200/month for the CAZ, then you only need to find £600 for the Tesla.

(that's less)

(loan, maintenance, fuel, etc. that'll cover £600 easily)

Edited by ads36

42 minutes ago, ads36 said:

if your old diesel will be getting billed £200/month for the CAZ, then you only need to find £600 for the Tesla.

(that's less)

£600 per month for something you will never own? How many businesses or private individuals do you know that have a spare £600 (£800) per month? I know it will come out of pre tax profits but that is still a large chunk of money to be continuously paying out. 

If / when this comes would you have to pay the charge every time you enter the city or is it one payment per day.  If it’s everytime I can see the price of goods etc going up as hauliers pass the cost on 

50 minutes ago, ads36 said:

(that's less)

Where am I going to get a lease car that I can license for a taxi? Also, insurers won't touch lease cars. So need answers to both.

Also assuming 3000 of us get them, where are we going to charge them up?

And more to the point where am I going to find £600 a month?

As Cyclone pointed out, there aren't any more customers around. Every day more OOTs turn up diluting the work as it is.

3 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

If / when this comes would you have to pay the charge every time you enter the city or is it one payment per day.  If it’s everytime I can see the price of goods etc going up as hauliers pass the cost on 

Once per day. The cross over point is 2330-0030, so night workers especially at weekends will have to pay twice.

57 minutes ago, ads36 said:

if your old diesel

also, my OLD diesel is 3 years old. It's an insignia ecoflex.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I do worry that Ash is entirely correct and that in 5 years time the criteria will change to include private cars.

Yes, if you look through the pages of text and questionnaires, you'll see in page 6 question 19. reads as follows:

19. If the Clean Air Zone does not improve air quality enough to meet legal limits, we may have to introduce charging for private cars. To what extent would you support such a move?

It won't improve air quality, because 867 black cabs won't / can't pay £65,000 to replace cabs.

And 3000 won't buy Teslas because it's absolutely ludicrous. Taxis get battered about, sicked in, scratched, door slamming, and constant hill driving and are completely worthless when they get to 9 years retirement age. And more to the point, the range isn't enough. They claim 340 miles, but then so does the LEVC. I asked a driver of a LEVC in Sheffield (there are 2 but not owned) and he said on a full charge, you get about 50 miles out of it before the engine kicks in (if going up hills)

Edited by *_ash_*

49 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

And more to the point where am I going to find £600 a month?

how much do you spend on diesel?

how much do you spend on your current car finance? (loan or savings for next car)

here's the point : electric cars sound expensive, but then the running costs are lower. the economics aren't anywhere near as bad as the headline ticket price would suggest.

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

how much do you spend on diesel?

how much do you spend on your current car finance? (loan or savings for next car)

here's the point : electric cars sound expensive, but then the running costs are lower. the economics aren't anywhere near as bad as the headline ticket price would suggest.

I wouldn't risk ANY high price vehicle, since the deregulation as the number of new OOTs just keeps increasing all the time.  I've never bought a new car for taxi, I always buy second hand licensed vehicle.

You cut out the 2 key questions I asked.

Look at cab direct, the countries biggest trader:

Number of teslas = 0

https://www.cabdirect.com/?s=tesla

Edited by *_ash_*

Where are you getting a figure of £600 a month?

You're looking at a grand or more to lease the Model S, you could probably get the smaller Model 3 at £600/month, although as said it depends if you're allowed to lease one for a Taxi.

ah I found 2 for sale, with finance,

One is 64k, but too old to plate with SCC

The other is £89,999

With 9k deposit, 48 payments of £1500/month then £27k final payment.

Do you know that for upto 2 miles, Uber drivers get £2.62 ads36? :hihi: 

9 minutes ago, geared said:

Where are you getting a figure of £600 a month?

You're looking at a grand or more to lease the Model S, you could probably get the smaller Model 3 at £600/month, although as said it depends if you're allowed to lease one for a Taxi.

who me? This is what ads says I'll need to earn more per month. This is completely impossible for a start.

Anyway, this thread is just ending up how can afford one. I can't and that's that. You can't lease one and you can't insure it. I would never pay 39k (remember this is basic model too - I want luxuries in the car when I'm in it all day!) - because they get battered about. It's completely unsuitable for taxi ing anyway. I had a distance job the other day - which if regular would help to pay for it, but I'd have to turn these down because it wouldn't make it.

Hybrids with small petrol engine are good for taxis, and I would consider these, but they are NOT exempt in Sheffield, so all the drivers who bought them as recommended have blown £20k+, I'm not going to be another statistic when the recommendations alter again.

I'm concerned about the inclusion of the inner ring road which to me fulfils it's intention of keeping through traffic out of the city centre. Including it will I feel have unintended consequences of spreading pollution into more residential areas - and having the wrong vehicles in the wrong place.

For example an HGV / LGV travelling from Hunters Bar to Penistone Road would use Ecclesall Rd then inner ring road  Hanover / Upper Hanover / Netherthorpe / Hoyle Street - which is where you want them.

Charge for the Inner Ring Road and many would use Brocco Bank / Broomhill / Crookesmoor Road / Addy Street etc - not where you want them - many parts of those roads can come to a standstill when school buses use them - would't want large vehicles on there all day.