'Classical 'night At The Botanical Gardens

In response to a comment in now closed thread, Sunday at the Music in the Gardens was classical night,  but has now been downgraded imo to Music from the Movies,  which is why I'm not there!    Classics for me are Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky etc.,  not movie themes.   Plus, notwithstanding the massive price increases from theearly days of the event, last time I went to Classical Night it was ruined by screeching kids and a loud woman who talked incessantly throughout the music, so I'll stick to concert halls where this kind of thing isn't tolerated. 

3 hours ago, kaytie said:

In response to a comment in now closed thread, Sunday at the Music in the Gardens was classical night,  but has now been downgraded imo to Music from the Movies,  which is why I'm not there!    Classics for me are Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky etc.,  not movie themes.   Plus, notwithstanding the massive price increases from theearly days of the event, last time I went to Classical Night it was ruined by screeching kids and a loud woman who talked incessantly throughout the music, so I'll stick to concert halls where this kind of thing isn't tolerated. 

Classic FM generally play tv and film themes at weekends too. Does my head in!

4 hours ago, kaytie said:

so I'll stick to concert halls where this kind of thing isn't tolerated. 

Don’t be such a snob!

These ‘popular classics’ events are specifically to introduce classical music to people other than the upper and middle classes, hence using music which people are familiar with.

Hearing the 16 bars of a popular TV theme or advert as part of the entire piece is a really good way of turning people on to a wider musical canon.

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Don’t be such a snob!

These ‘popular classics’ events are specifically to introduce classical music to people other than the upper and middle classes, hence using music which people are familiar with.

Hearing the 16 bars of a popular TV theme or advert as part of the entire piece is a really good way of turning people on to a wider musical canon.

ah!

hang on, I think this is conflating different things here.

Obviously, if I was specifically going to a classical concert, I would look first to what is being played. (no more than I used to look for nightclubs that played music that I liked as a youngling)...

however, do you know how it was advertised Top cat? I knew about this event, for work purposes, but don't know what was advertised.

The point you were making in the other half of this, was what I would say...

Say I saw an advert and it said 'Classical Orchestra playing popular movie stuff' - (and assuming I would go out, which I don't! :hihi: ) - then I would be encouraging my friends who have children to go and see it. They will enjoy the music, and not only that, realise that the complex and often superb music behind films, is actually a hugely complex piece played by a large number of people. 

-

The OP just says the 'Sunday Classical event' - which if I went with this information only, I would just take what I get. It's obviously only going to be very popular and well known music.  To be fair though, if they only played films, I wouldn't enjoy it much, but would be good to see kids seeing it, and how much work going into it. The only time people really notice music in films I find, is if you press mute. It subsconciously makes a film.

53 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

however, do you know how it was advertised Top cat? I knew about this event, for work purposes, but don't know what was advertised.

I’m taking the OP’s word for it that it was advertised as ‘Music from the Movies’.

5 hours ago, kaytie said:

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m taking the OP’s word for it that it was advertised as ‘Music from the Movies’.

The way I read it, it said was in his/her opinion that is was ‘Music from the Movies’, not that it was advertised as that.

12 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

The way I read it, it said was in his/her opinion that is was ‘Music from the Movies’, not that it was advertised as that.

In that case I have no idea what it was advertised as, but the venue suggests that it wasn’t a straight classical ‘formal’ gig.

29 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

For me, she did say that  the event was now "Music from the Movies" and that was the reason she wouldn't go as the format had been changed from her favourite Classical Night. That's how I intrpreted it. For her to start the words Music and Movies with capital letters shows that was the title of the show.

9 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

For me, she did say that  the event was now "Music from the Movies" and that was the reason she wouldn't go as the format had been changed from her favourite Classical Night. That's how I intrpreted it. For her to start the words Music and Movies with capital letters shows that was the title of the show.

Spot on.   Nothing wrong with movie themes, but just not what I'd pay to listen to at a concert....assuming of course that at this event it were actually possible to hear the music above the audience noise.   And, by the way I don't only liķe classical music.    Give me some good old rock ...Lynyrd Skynyrd anyone?  or MeatLoaf?! or The Doors? 

blimey it's impossible to find things here now. I'm sure I don't read this section normally! (however I could originally seen it in latest posts)

Not really much to do with the topic, but I just found this:

(by no means the best version, they look young though. amazing none the less - looks how many instruments go into this! How did he write them all?!) I think a well known tune like this played and seen by young en's would encourage them into new music.

For me, no one plays him as well as the Berlin Phil Orc or the Vienna orc. I can't find this by them on youtube though for comparison.

Edited by *_ash_*

best example here for Berlin

better on headphones.

if short of time - skip to 2.32 to miss the intro, and hear them in go into full flow. I've heard lots play this (on youtube or my CDs), and no one anywhere close. It's utterly mind-blowing.

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

best example here for Berlin

actually this is a better one,

his masterpiece, and played in full by Berlin

the waltz starts at 3mins 40secs,

but the intro, is brill

on headphones this is so complex and probably better than he ever heard himself whilst alive.