What Exactly Is Dan Jarvis Doing?

Dan Jarvis was elected SCR mayor fourteen months ago. Can someone explain what he has achieved in that time or what even his plans are?

i could be being unfair but while we are happy to pile onto Jared OMara, why does Jarvis get a free ride?

Colleagues of mine in the business community have given up on him already: every request to get involved in initiatives or speak at events is either unanswered or declined. 

So precisely is he doing?

Biding his time so he can try to become Labour Leader. Current role is a career move for him,  good for the CV. 

Problem for him is that Blairites aren't de rigueur with the party membership.

Edited by Ridgewalk

8 hours ago, bendix said:

Dan Jarvis was elected SCR mayor fourteen months ago. Can someone explain what he has achieved in that time or what even his plans are?

i could be being unfair but while we are happy to pile onto Jared OMara, why does Jarvis get a free ride?

Colleagues of mine in the business community have given up on him already: every request to get involved in initiatives or speak at events is either unanswered or declined. 

So precisely is he doing?

As Jarvis allegedly does not receive any payment for his SCR work it's made it difficult to criticize him really. As O'Mara is in receipt of 70k plus and lavish expenses for his "work" it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

If you had knocked Jarvis for his work as an MP (and many might agree with you), then your criticism may have been valid.

Angel1.

Dan Jarvis has the almost impossible job of trying to create a single city region out of 4 (?) Separate areas : Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley, and Rotherham. 

Getting the councils of these areas to agree that grass is green is hard enough, never mind regional policies. 

It really does seem that he's trying to bring them all along together, rather than beat them into submission.

He got the gig before the devolved powers had been agreed, and signed off (by the 4 councils).

Fwiw, I reckon he's doing a decent enough job.

Edited by ads36

On 07/07/2019 at 22:06, ads36 said:

Dan Jarvis has the almost impossible job of trying to create a single city region out of 4 (?) Separate areas : Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley, and Rotherham. 

Getting the councils of these areas to agree that grass is green is hard enough, never mind regional policies. 

It really does seem that he's trying to bring them all along together, rather than beat them into submission.

He got the gig before the devolved powers had been agreed, and signed off (by the 4 councils).

I've met him and agree. He' s between a  rock and a hard place.

Barnsley want to be in the Leeds City Region and Doncaster are leaning that way. Areas of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire that were expected to join the SCR region aren't at all keen either. Dan originally favoured a greater devolution for all of Yorkshire. The government want the Sheffield CR to work. The government is falling apart.  He's doing the best he can to steer a course through all that and bring funds to the region. That will take months and years to show through to ordinary folks on the street.

He's built some nice new meeting rooms by kicking out two companies from the building

He has signed up Dame Sarah Storey to sort some biking and walking routes.

On 07/07/2019 at 22:06, ads36 said:

I might agree with that if I knew what 'a decent enough job' actually means...?

Edited by Fougasse
Wrong insert

Guest makapaka
On 07/07/2019 at 17:00, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As Jarvis allegedly does not receive any payment for his SCR work it's made it difficult to criticize him really. As O'Mara is in receipt of 70k plus and lavish expenses for his "work" it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

If you had knocked Jarvis for his work as an MP (and many might agree with you), then your criticism may have been valid.

Angel1.

That’s not right though is it?

I don’t know what he’s been doing but putting yourself forward for election, getting elected to represent the people, doesn’t mean you can do nothing cos you’re not getting paid.

what good is that to the people that elected him?

they’re there to represent us first and get paid second -  not the other way around.

On 08/07/2019 at 23:43, 1978 said:

I've met him and agree. He' s between a  rock and a hard place.

Barnsley want to be in the Leeds City Region and Doncaster are leaning that way. Areas of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire that were expected to join the SCR region aren't at all keen either. Dan originally favoured a greater devolution for all of Yorkshire. The government want the Sheffield CR to work. The government is falling apart.  He's doing the best he can to steer a course through all that and bring funds to the region. That will take months and years to show through to ordinary folks on the street.

I think Barnsley and Donny wanted to be in a Yorkshire Region, not specifically Leeds, though I could be wrong.