Chromebook Question.

9 hours ago, Kidorry said:

If it's just for web browsing then it'll be fine.

Chromebooks don't need powerful hardware, they only need beefy specs and screens if you're planning on playing games on them or doing more demanding stuff.

Hi, Whilst that is low price it will cost you in the long run. All eMMC notebooks have all parts 'welded' to the motherboard - once any component fails you will have to bin it - they can't be repaired and they can't be upgraded.

If you have £90 more to spend, this would be a better deai:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0511sa-15-6-intel-core-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10180938-pdt.html

53 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

But that's a Windows laptop, not a Chromebook.

I have both at home and use my Chromebook far more now, it's a lot quicker (even though the Windows laptop has an i5 and an SSD) and feels much easier to use.

I was writing it from the point of 'long-term' value for money. Obviously I can't comment on the BIOS of that machine. I could only find one Notebook in John Lewis that allows the Windows Boot Manager to be disabled which should allow GNU/Linux of your choice to be installed, also virus free (and Google Spyware free). :wink:

Edited by swarfendor437

It is a chromebook I am after and it is just for the run of the mill use. From what I have read on here and the internet they are faster, safer and lighter to carry. I will ditch my old H.P. laptop (which weighs a ton) and go for the chromebook. Cheers everyone for your input.

Are the chromebooks secure enough to do online banking and booking flights and buying the odd bits?

Yes.

I use mine as my main laptop now and do intenet banking through it and have used it to search for and book holidays.

Thank you for that.

I do everything on a chromebook that i did on a laptop. Which was just personal domestic stuff - web surfing,ebay,buying and booking stuff,banking,photo storage etc.