Exotic Birds Longley Park

Is anyone missing some exotic birds? The trees in Longley park seems to be home to a few canaries or similar.

goldfinches and bullfinches are quite colourful....and there are more green parakeets moving into the area...

There are loads of wild parakeets in the area is it them perhaps?

I had no idea we (the UK) had such birds, I assumed they had escaped from a local keeper!

Have we always had these types of birds in the summer months?

On 08/07/2019 at 21:39, muddywolf said:

I had no idea we (the UK) had such birds, I assumed they had escaped from a local keeper!

I believe that they have been around in the UK for quite a few years now, obviously escapees that have bred, they are actually very successful...there are loads nationwide and now flocks of them, they are here all year round 🙂

I regularly see Ring Necked Parakeets in the trees around the northern general hospital so it could be them, I'm also glad to see that their numbers are few and have been so for years, they might look nice but they are potentially a big problem waiting to happen.

On 08/07/2019 at 21:39, muddywolf said:

They are an invasive species and are on the watch list, in some areas they have bred uncontrollably without any natural predators to keep them in check and they wipe out food that should be for our own native species, they look pretty but I care little for them.

21 hours ago, mickey finn said:

I regularly see Ring Necked Parakeets in the trees around the northern general hospital so it could be them, I'm also glad to see that their numbers are few and have been so for years, they might look nice but they are potentially a big problem waiting to happen.

They are an invasive species and are on the watch list, in some areas they have bred uncontrollably without any natural predators to keep them in check and they wipe out food that should be for our own native species, they look pretty but I care little for them.

They are devouring the apples on my neighbours tree.

58 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

They are devouring the apples on my neighbours tree.

I have mates that live in and around London and they have some problems down there, huge numbers of them stripping fruit of trees in minutes and leaving nothing for other birds.