Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Do you have any evidence for that?

I do a lot of motorway driving and the variable speed limits have made a huge difference in reducing congestion. And it only takes 50-60% of drivers to adhere to the variable limit and then everyone has to comply, as it then becomes impossible to speed!

I see loads of people getting flashed on motorways and also drivers who just keep going at same speed until they come to the camera then brake hard ,get so far past camera then speed up again .what would be more of a deterrent is average speed cameras on the smart motorways 

I rarely have a need to use motorways,  but the only cameras I see are the 'banks of 3' average speed cams. Are the Gatsco cameras being fazed out in favour of the average speed type.

48 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I see loads of people getting flashed on motorways and also drivers who just keep going at same speed until they come to the camera then brake hard ,get so far past camera then speed up again

If drivers are going fast enough to trigger a camera (usually set at 80mph+) there clearly isn’t much congestion on that stretch of road. People usually don’t change lanes when the overheads show 60, 50 or 40mph, so anyone going fast enough to trigger a camera is much more likely to plough into the back of another car in their lane.

28 minutes ago, Janus said:

Are the Gatsco cameras being fazed out in favour of the average speed type.

Gatsos are still there but they are mounted on the overhead gantries, hidden behind the steelwork which carry the smart motorway sign boards. You can see which gantries have them by looking at the opposite carriageway.

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

I see loads of people getting flashed on motorways and also drivers who just keep going at same speed until they come to the camera then brake hard ,get so far past camera then speed up again .what would be more of a deterrent is average speed cameras on the smart motorways 

As far as I know, there are average speed cameras on most of the smart motorways.

Edited by Phili Buster

6 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Boogaloo! Lorries having to use middle lane, so what! it slows maniacs down.  :loopy:

Lol, people driving at 65 - 70 are now maniacs.

You sound hysterical.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I dont impede traffic.  On a 30 zone I drive at that speed same on a 40 zone I drive at 40.  On a Motorway 50-60.  Pick the bones out of that! :roll:

You do impede traffic.  You travel at 20 mph below the speed limit on NSL dual carriageways and motorways.  You're not a competent, safe driver.

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You travel at 20 mph below the speed limit on NSL dual carriageways and motorways.  You're not a competent, safe driver.

I"m curious to know how many posters on here have/had points on their licence, I have never had points on my licence, or had a blameworthy accident, and yet people on this thread call me incompetent.. I"ve said it before  SPEED KILLS and even that statement was contested.

46 minutes ago, Phili Buster said:

As far as I know, there are average speed cameras on most of the smart motorways.

Those cameras are not average type one. The average speed cameras are used while a motorway is being turned in to a smart motorway then replaced with normal action speed cameras 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If drivers are going fast enough to trigger a camera (usually set at 80mph+) there clearly isn’t much congestion on that stretch of road. People usually don’t change lanes when the overheads show 60, 50 or 40mph, so anyone going fast enough to trigger a camera is much more likely to plough into the back of another car in their lane.

Gatsos are still there but they are mounted on the overhead gantries, hidden behind the steelwork which carry the smart motorway sign boards. You can see which gantries have them by looking at the opposite carriageway.

I was referring to when the speed limit has been lowered and displayed on the matrix sigh 

40 minutes ago, Padders said:

I"m curious to know how many posters on here have/had points on their licence, I have never had points on my licence, or had a blameworthy accident, and yet people on this thread call me incompetent.. I"ve said it before  SPEED KILLS and even that statement was contested.

That's because it's clearly just a nonsense phrase.  High acceleration impacts or bits of car making holes in your body kill you.  Blunt force trauma or exsanguination.  Speed doesn't do a damn thing.

Nor does speed alone determine the likelihood of having an accident, or motorways would be the most dangerous roads in the country, and yet they aren't.

Inappropriate speed increases the risk of an accident, and you drive at an inappropriate speed on several types of road.

41 minutes ago, Padders said:

I"ve said it before  SPEED KILLS and even that statement was contested.

No it doesn’t, bad driving kills. 

(zero points on licence ever)

30 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's because it's clearly just a nonsense phrase.  

That's why the Dept Of Transport use it :huh:  Drive on roads around Lincolnshire, signs all over  REDUCE YOUR SPEED, SLOW DOWN, SPEED KILLS.  then there is a sign ….  18 DEATHS THIS YEAR.

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I dont impede traffic.  On a 30 zone I drive at that speed same on a 40 zone I drive at 40.  On a Motorway 50-60.  Pick the bones out of that! :roll:

Driving at 20 miles an hour below the limit on a motorway without good reason is impeding traffic.

As has been pointed out to you several times now.   Not maintaining progression is a driving test failure and inconsiderate driving is an offence and something which you could be penalised for if you are deemed to be causing a hazard to others.  

Not exactly difficult to pick bones out of it was it.  

You may enjoy your high and mighty selfishness at the moment but tick tock tick tock.... 

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 hours ago, Janus said:

But is it worth the risk-points on your license for 3 years, and your insurance premiums being affected for 5 years.

Yes. If it was for safety, fair enough, but since it's for somewhat questionable environmental reasons, I'd take the risk. I doubt they'll put average speed cameras up.