Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

Please dont turn this into another thread about cyclists.

Thank you.

A dual carriageway with central reservation should be 70mph. I've safely driven at the 70 limit on that road on and off for years and years. If they change it to 50mph for "environmental" reasons, I'll probably just continue to safely use it at 70mph.

It's not often that I agree with either @Cyclone or @Top Cats Hat so to agree with them both in one thread on the same topic is a sure sign of the apocalypse 😂

If you cannot maintain close to the speed limit (within 5mph) in good conditions then you shouldn't be on the road. As said it's cause for a driving examiner to fail you on your test. 

There's only one situation where, in good conditions, that I do not drive near the limit in NSL (70) & that's when I'm in a company vehicle that's physically limited to 51 mph. (Trust me, I hate it when I'm on the M1/M18) 

28 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A dual carriageway with central reservation should be 70mph. I've safely driven at the 70 limit on that road on and off for years and years. If they change it to 50mph for "environmental" reasons, I'll probably just continue to safely use it at 70mph.

You can put your bottom dollar that the day the limits drop they'll have scamera vans in the laybys... 

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

As a cyclist I have more than once had to overtake cars which are driving ridiculously slow for no apparent reason (apart from having to look at the person in the passenger seat that they are engrossed in conversation with! 😡)

Or on the phone or texting..... it still goes on.

10 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Or on the phone or texting..... it still goes on.

As a cyclist, on average two feet higher than the average car driver’s head, you get to see the frightening number of people driving along in slow traffic doing stuff (facebook?) on their mobile phones on their laps.

9 hours ago, alchresearch said:

So you're that driver who sits in the inside lane of the motorway at 50, forcing lorries into the middle lane.  Cheers for all the unnecessary congestion you create.

There is a reason why there is three lanes, ever heard of over taking.  :rant:

14 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

It’s amazing how many people still have absolutely no idea how to use multi lane road systems in the UK.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

It’s amazing how many people still have absolutely no idea how to use multi lane road systems in the UK.

Which motorway lane would you choose to drive at 50-60?

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

Which motorway lane would you choose to drive at 50-60?

I choose to drive in lane one, whatever speed I’m doing (including exceeding the speed limit) and only ever go into lanes two and three to overtake.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

I choose to drive in lane one, whatever speed I’m doing (including exceeding the speed limit) and only ever go into lanes two and three to overtake.

Me too

My preferred speed on a clear road is 80 mph.

I’ve no problem with timid drivers doing 50 or 60 on lane one though.

I have every problem with that in lane two though.

11 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

There's a reason why the hard shoulder has had to be made into a lane.  Congestion.  Made worse by muppets doing 50 in lane one and forcing lorries into lane two and squeezing everyone else who is able to drive to the limit in lane 3.

Imagine  a world if the muppet in lane 1 at 50 mph actually went faster, the lorries could stay in lane 1 and lanes 2 and 3 could be used for cars wanting to do 70.

Edited by alchresearch

11 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Do you understand how the motorway operates?

If you drive below the speed of the average HGV in lane 1, then an HGV doing 5 mph more than you takes up lane 2, for some considerable time, and the drivers who are doing 65, now move into lane 3 to pass that lorry.  The drivers who were doing 70, or heaven forbid 75, now rapidly tailback behind the driver doing 65 in the fast overtaking lane...  And it's pretty much all your fault for driving inappropriately slowly on the motorway.