Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

13 minutes ago, Padders said:

Since when has it been obligatory to drive near the speed limit.

Since the time you passed your driving test..!

When I was  learning to drive back in the early 80's...With BSM...My driving instructor told me, when I go for my Test, if the examiner takes you on a dual carriageway with a speed limit of 40MPH...Then DO 40 MPH...!

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is careless driving.

Most HGV’s on UK motorways are speed limited to 56mph. If you are doing 50 in lane 1, every HGV and coach which comes up behind you has to pull out into lane 2 to overtake you. That then means that anyone driving at the speed limit in lane 2 then has to pull out into lane to overtake the lorries and buses now in lane 2. If the motorway is particularly busy, you will affect the average motorway speed for up to 5-10 miles behind you.

So if you drive for an hour on a reasonably busy motorway, you will force between 600-1000 vehicles of all sizes to make unplanned overtaking moves each having their own level of risk, simply because you don’t know how to use a motorway.

Like many others on this thread, I suggest that you either improve your driving standards or call it a day and hand in your licence.

Bang on...Great reply.

Edited by FinBak

4 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Since the time you passed your driving test..!

When I was  learning to drive back in the early 80's...With BSM...My driving instructor told me, when I go for my Test, if the examiner takes you on a dual carriageway with a speed limit of 40MPH...Then DO 40 MPH...!

They are now taught to drive slower, and think of the poor, poor children.  *sniff sniff*,  and climate

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is careless driving.

Most HGV’s on UK motorways are speed limited to 56mph. If you are doing 50 in lane 1, every HGV and coach which comes up behind you has to pull out into lane 2 to overtake you. That then means that anyone driving at the speed limit in lane 2 then has to pull out into lane to overtake the lorries and buses now in lane 2. If the motorway is particularly busy, you will affect the average motorway speed for up to 5-10 miles behind you.

So if you drive for an hour on a reasonably busy motorway, you will force between 600-1000 vehicles of all sizes to make unplanned overtaking moves each having their own level of risk, simply because you don’t know how to use a motorway.

Like many others on this thread, I suggest that you either improve your driving standards or call it a day and hand in your licence.

Oh don"t mention HGV"s  TCH..  up my backside, tailgaiting, flashing their lights, beeping the horn, then when I slow down to allow them to pass, a friendly hand gesture.. tell me who is the competent driver.

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

They are now taught to drive slower, and think of the poor, poor children.  *sniff sniff*,  and climate

No they don't. They're taught to drive safely and at an appropriate speed. 

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Oh don"t mention HGV"s  TCH..  up my backside, tailgaiting, flashing their lights, beeping the horn, then when I slow down to allow them to pass, a friendly hand gesture.. tell me who is the competent driver.

Who's a competent driver? Certainly not you. 

9 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Same here - BSM taught - I think after Mirror/Signal/Manouevre you were taught to "make progress", ie get up to the speed limit.

I also had a very useful motorway lesson with BSM after I'd passed my test. First thing you learned - on the slip road get up to 70 because loads of the traffic you'll be joining will be doing that speed.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Same here - BSM taught - I think after Mirror/Signal/Manouevre you were taught to "make progress", ie get up to the speed limit.

I also had a very useful motorway lesson with BSM after I'd passed my test. First thing you learned - on the slip road get up to 70 because loads of the traffic you'll be joining will be doing that speed.

Yes..And yes again..!

BSM were very good back then...I have no clue what they are like now.! 

10 minutes ago, Resident said:

No they don't. They're taught to drive safely and at an appropriate speed. 

Who's a competent driver? Certainly not you. 

No difference to the past then.

If the dualway was clear, and they were doing 20, the instructor would say 'put your foot down' (but in an appropriate manner)

blimey I was only joking!

2 minutes ago, FinBak said:

BSM were very good back then...I have no clue what they are like now.! 

Me neither - very grateful to them - they certainly drummed the lessons home - one was that you don't really learn to drive until you've passed your test.

Happy to say I passed first time and have done nigh on 500,000 accident free  miles since.

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

tell me who is the competent driver.

I wont bother as I think that you already know the answer to that.

The problem with deliberately holding up traffic like that is you greatly increase the chances of being overtaking and stopped  by a motorway cop. Usually you can get away with a warning for most driving offences if you can convince the cop that you understand why you were stopped. If however, you told any traffic cop I know, some of the things that you have said on this thread you will definitely get a ticket and may even be summonsed for careless driving, particularly if the 5-0 car was video equipped.

24 minutes ago, Padders said:

Oh don"t mention HGV"s  TCH..  up my backside, tailgaiting, flashing their lights, beeping the horn, then when I slow down to allow them to pass, a friendly hand gesture.. 

Are you sure you understand their hand gesture?

That's assuming you can actually see the driver of the HGV overtaking you, seeing that he's several feet higher up and at the other side of his vehicle to you.

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Are you sure you understand their hand gesture?

Yes, a friendly wave of the middle finger.

26 minutes ago, Padders said:

So you're tootling along at 50 and then slow down further to "allow them to pass", and you wonder why they might offer a friendly hand gesture?