Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

6 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Did you read the part where it said driving like a snail causes accidents and so does driving like a cheetah,   Ive never in my post mentioned people should drive at snail pace.  I say the danger with driving too fast  gives less time to correct any type errors that a speeding driver may encounter.  Flippinhell its common sense.  Take your time. Best to get to your destination in one piece rather than not at all,  who cares if your late for an appointment which is actually down to  your own bad- time management.

The only person harping on about driving too fast is you. The rest of us are talking about driving up to or at the predetermined speed limit in good conditions. Limits that have been set at their respective figures because it is safe to travel at those speeds in good conditions. 

You are the one that has stated you driving significantly under the limit despite optimal conditions. This has been pointed out to you to be similarly dangerous as driving too fast and also reminded that such hesitant/timid driving is actually grounds to fail your test. Furthermore doing is an offence under careless driving, the penalty of which is actually greater in terms of fines/points than a SP30 offence. 

Now that said, I would like to offer you some assistance. Must be difficult constantly moving the goal posts. 

On 13/07/2019 at 13:21, PRESLEY said:

Accident causers.  :roll:

Ah yes, those accident causers, travelling at the speed limit, how dare they.  Where is the man with the red flag, it's simply not safe to travel faster than a man on horseback.

37 minutes ago, Resident said:

The only person harping on about driving too fast is you. The rest of us are talking about driving up to or at the predetermined speed limit in good conditions. Limits that have been set at their respective figures because it is safe to travel at those speeds in good conditions. 

You are the one that has stated you driving significantly under the limit despite optimal conditions. This has been pointed out to you to be similarly dangerous as driving too fast and also reminded that such hesitant/timid driving is actually grounds to fail your test. Furthermore doing is an offence under careless driving, the penalty of which is actually greater in terms of fines/points than a SP30 offence. 

Now that said, I would like to offer you some assistance. Must be difficult constantly moving the goal posts. 

You keep  harping on about driving test  Im talking to the nutters on here who think its clever to drive like maniacs. 

On 13/07/2019 at 17:47, Padders said:

So a learner driver, driving at 24 mph on his test would fail.

A learner driver racing round at 30 mph would pass.

find that very strange.

Did you just claim that 30 mph was "racing around"...  Seriously?

On 13/07/2019 at 18:27, DT Ralge said:

Not necessarily.  It might just be marked as a driving fault.  It depends on an interpretation from the examiner.  

I find it remarkable that, on such a forum, the context of a driving test failure comes up time and time again as down to use of speed when there are dozens of other ways you can fail (and many of these errors are committed by your average driver) but they are never mentioned. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dl25&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgdii=ejDU8AP7lrk6gM:&imgrc=PXVzvYIID53CXM:

They're not mentioned because they're not relevant to the discussion about speed that's currently happening.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Ah yes, those accident causers, travelling at the speed limit, how dare they.  Where is the man with the red flag, it's simply not safe to travel faster than a man on horseback.

It might say 70 its not an order. 

On 13/07/2019 at 19:17, Padders said:

Your a learner taking your test, you should be trying to impress the examiner, show him your skills, considerate and careful driving.

I don"t think the examiner would be impressed if you were hurtling along at 30.

This is bizarre.  Part of the test IS driving at an appropriate speed, which IS at the speed limit in good conditions.  You're basically living in a dream world of your own invention.

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

It might say 70 its not an order. 

See all the comments about making progress and why you'd attract penalties on your driving test for not driving at an appropriate speed if conditions allow.

8 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Did you read the part where it said driving like a snail causes accidents and so does driving like a cheetah,   Ive never in my post mentioned people should drive at snail pace.  I say the danger with driving too fast  gives less time to correct any type errors that a speeding driver may encounter.  Flippinhell its common sense.  Take your time. Best to get to your destination in one piece rather than not at all,  who cares if your late for an appointment which is actually down to  your own bad- time management.

Your common sense seems to be that driving at or close to the speed limit is by definition "racing" or "speeding".  It's clearly untrue though.

Edited by Cyclone

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

See all the comments about making progress and why you'd attract penalties on your driving test for not driving at an appropriate speed if conditions allow.

All this talk about driving too slow, doe"s any one know of anybody whose been fined for this (offence).

I Certainly don"t.

I have been on the motorway, and though I generally drive at 60-70, I have been known to plod along at 50, just to simply take it steady.

10 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

You keep  harping on about driving test  Im talking to the nutters on here who think its clever to drive like maniacs. 

So now people "nutters" & "maniacs" because they drive at the speed limit in good conditions, yet those, such as yourself by your own admission, who drive INAPPROPRIATELY slower than near or at the limit, when road conditions are good and do not warrant such over-cautious/hesitant driving, proven to be similar as dangerous as driving over the limit, are completely and utterly virtuous & saintly for doing so?

And yes, I've mentioned the driving test as a point to show that your driving falls below the required standard of a competent driver. I've even pointed out that your driving, again to which you've admitted to falls into the category of careless driving. Unfortunately neither of these points seem to be permeating your "I'm always right because I'm old" ego. 

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Your common sense seems to be that driving at or close to the speed limit is by definition "racing" or "speeding".  It's clearly untrue though.

Recently our "hurtling along at 30" merchants were trolling the speed awareness course thread saying what a waste of time it was.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/332890-speed-awareness-courses/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-8250786

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/332890-speed-awareness-courses/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-8251031

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/332890-speed-awareness-courses/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-8260541

Edited by Longcol

23 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Excuse me, I wasn't trolling.   I was going on what I was told.  The course is boring and long drawn out obviously part of the  punishment for speeding.  So get your facts right. :roll:

2 hours ago, Padders said:

...though I generally drive at 60-70, I have been known to plod along at 50, just to simply take it steady.

The gods of driving will judge you, you outrageous maniac.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Excuse me, I wasn't trolling.   I was going on what I was told.  The course is boring and long drawn out obviously part of the  punishment for speeding.  So get your facts right. :roll:

Amazing that you posted twice on the "Speed Awareness Course" thread then "remembered" you hadn't been on one when your - shall we say - inconsistency - was pointed out.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/468578-speed-limit-on-sheffield-parkway-set-to-be-cut/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-8260517

You're hardly in a position to to tell people to get their facts right  😎