Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

On 06/07/2019 at 18:31, Longcol said:

I think quite a few drivers think the limit is 50mph for the whole length to the M1 - there is usually someone in the outside lane doing 50 a couple of miles before the M1 - presumably wanting to turn right at the end of the Parkway onto the M1 south - and very reluctant to pull over to the nearside lane.

On the approach to the roundabout, the nearside lane is signposted as a left turn only - that's maybe why?

15 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

On the approach to the roundabout, the nearside lane is signposted as a left turn only - that's maybe why?

But that signpost isn't located at Handsworth now is it? 

I regularly drive the full length of the Parkway and get on the M1 South. I don't look to move over till after the lay-by unless it's busy in which occasionally I'll start making the move a couple hundred yards earlier. 

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

You're probably correct, but clearly if they feel the need to get into that lane several miles in advance then they want their head checking.

56 minutes ago, Resident said:

But that signpost isn't located at Handsworth now is it? 

I regularly drive the full length of the Parkway and get on the M1 South. I don't look to move over till after the lay-by unless it's busy in which occasionally I'll start making the move a couple hundred yards earlier. 

No it isn't Sir!  Sorry Sir!  Mis-read the previous Sir!  

Are you a schoolteacher by any chance?  😊

11 hours ago, probedb said:

If everyone on the motorway was driving at exactly the same speed there would be no congestion what-so-ever. Distances between vehicles would remain constant.

This cannot and does not happen at any speed and for many obvious reasons.

Lane changing.

Junctions where traffic slows when entering and leaving.

Where motorways merge.

Urban motorways.

Vehicle type, characteristics and performance.

The unpredictable event.

Who decides the "same speed"? Does this vary with traffic, road and weather conditions"

Then there is human behaviour where selfishness, ignorance, overestimating ability etc., undermines attempts by traffic flow engineers to increase average journey times.

Even on the longest, flatest, straightest UK motorway traffic waves often occur, where traffic slows or stops with no apparent explanation to the driver.  In reality the causes are usually due to excess speed, poor reaction and overestimation of skills.

It is possible to increase journey times and capacity on all our motorways but it requires an unachieveable level of understanding and cooperation by all road users. 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

It doesn't happen, but there is nothing physically that stops a large number of cars from travelling at the same speed, and indeed this is actually the ideal scenario.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Even on the longest, flatest, straightest UK motorway traffic waves often occur, where traffic slows or stops with no apparent explanation to the driver. 

It is these ‘traffic waves’ that variable speed limits tackle and do so very successfully, if implemented correctly.

3 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

I travel in and out of the uk around 20 times a yr from dover.     the next ferry is a couple of hours away,  not 12 hrs.    even if you miss the very last one on an evening, the next day starts at 6am.

anway,  thanks for the valuable input about driving in france.  i look forward to  hearing how that has a relevance to the parkway.

Relevant to the conversation overall about making progress by driving at the speed limit.

7 hours ago, Easy livin said:

I travel in and out of the uk around 20 times a yr from dover.     the next ferry is a couple of hours away,  not 12 hrs.    even if you miss the very last one on an evening, the next day starts at 6am.

anway,  thanks for the valuable input about driving in france.  i look forward to  hearing how that has a relevance to the parkway.

Did you not notice I said I travel from Caen to Portsmouth - at least a 7.5 hour drive ? Dover is a good couple of hours further and the crossing isn't long enough to get a decent sleep.

And of course it's relevant to your post of "plodding along with the lorries" - like Cyclone says, it's called "making progress" - something I remember from my first driving lessons well over 30 years ago.

On 10/07/2019 at 14:39, Cyclone said:

I said that speed isn't harmful.  It doesn't hurt you in anyway.  You can literally go as fast as you like and you won't suffer any harm.

Acceleration on the other hand, that's quite bad, but what's even worse is having bits of car poke holes in you, or abrading your body away on the road surface.

Perhaps if your time is cheap or you don't value it much.

But travelling at the same speed as lorries at least won't cause them to overtake, unlike the poster who professes to travel at only 50mph, and thus contributes considerably to motorway congestion.

So if you're going 90mph you can react to things the same as if you were doing 50mph ?? Baffling

Nobody talked about reacting to anything, that's a strawman.

22 hours ago, redbig said:

So if you're going 90mph you can react to things the same as if you were doing 50mph ?? Baffling

Some people on here seem to think so. :loopy: