Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Hi Crissie,
Thank you for explaining about the 'measured mile'. I had never heard of it, and didn't know  about using it to calibrate.

I only posted as I thought you meant there was a section that was 60 mph, so I had misunderstood you.

Just out of interest, was it from where the NSL starts, and up to the M1 roundabout? I don't actually know how long that stretch is.

Yes, heading out of Sheffield, the start was at the brow of the rise just after NSL.  It was signified by a white disc with a yellow surround, in the central reservation, probably the same size as a speed limit repeater sign.  The end of the measured mile was shown by a similar sign with a black diagonal line through it.  There was also a half mile marker, I think it was the same as the start sign.  The idea was to drive at a constant indicated 60 mph from start to finish, and time the duration (we all had Casio digital stop / wristwatches back in the day!).  By noting the discrepancy from 1 minute, we could establish how far out our speedos were.  I once managed it in 30 seconds in my old 4-speed E-Type but there were no speed cameras and very little other traffic then ;).   I wouldn't try that today, or advocate it!

That is interesting. Ah yes the E type...in maroon? I bet you wished it was still in your garage . In good condition that would provide a nice retirement.

16 minutes ago, Janus said:

That is interesting. Ah yes the E type...in maroon? I bet you wished it was still in your garage . In good condition that would provide a nice retirement.

It was red, series 3.  I traded it in for a very decent deposit on a house, probably sensible at the time!  Lovely car and very special in its day, but I think if I had a go in one now I'd find it unrefined even in comparison with today's medium family cars, and probably not much better performance that many half-decent modern cars.

5 hours ago, Crissie said:

It was red, series 3.  I traded it in for a very decent deposit on a house, probably sensible at the time!  Lovely car and very special in its day, but I think if I had a go in one now I'd find it unrefined even in comparison with today's medium family cars, and probably not much better performance that many half-decent modern cars.

It would though be worth several million quid...

32 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It would though be worth several million quid...

Getting up towards six figures, but if you wanted to pay several million I'm sure someone out there will oblige! With hindsight the house ended up a better investment, and I had just as much fun!

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:25, redbig said:

So despite clarifying it, you still don't understand it? Baffling.  I'll say it again,50/60 is fine on the parkway, full stretch, in my opinion.

I don't want to support anything, as unlike you, I don't think that my driving skills or knowledge are above such decreases. 50 would be fine. Who set NSL? Experts ? Nit picking at its finest.

Again, all in my own opinion (disclaimer just for you)

South Yorkshire Police to crackdown on speeding drivers.

Joanne Wehrie, South Yorkshire safer roads partnership manager said,

our message to drivers is that the speed limit is the ABSOLUTE maximum, and doe"s not mean that it is safe to travel at that speed, even in good conditions..

Makes my steady 50 look OK.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

South Yorkshire Police to crackdown on speeding drivers.

Joanne Wehrie, South Yorkshire safer roads partnership manager said,

our message to drivers is that the speed limit is the ABSOLUTE maximum, and doe"s not mean that it is safe to travel at that speed, even in good conditions..

Makes my steady 50 look OK.

Nice selective quoting used there.

“Our message to drivers and riders is that the speed limit is not a target – it’s the absolute maximum and does not mean that it is safe to travel at that speed in all conditions.

Factors such as the weather, the state of the road and the time of day should be considered when choosing what speed to travel at.

If you kill or seriously injure someone because you were driving too quickly, you will have to live with the long-term emotional consequences.”