Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, redbig said:

What on earth are you on about? I knew exactly which section you were talking about, all I said was 50/60 is plenty for "the parkway", it clearly says that.

50/60 is fine for the parkway. All of it. In my opinion. Can I make it any clearer? 

All you've added is this self righteous "how dare they reduce the limit". 

Correct - and the only argument in support is -

why not 10mph?

1. It would be safer

2. It would be better for the environment 

3. It wouldn’t significantly alter

journey times.

Therefore they have just took to picking irrelevant holes in peoples posts instead.

Crissie

Current limits on parkway are 40, 50 and 70

Edited by Janus

10 minutes ago, Janus said:

Crissie

Isn't going out of town 30 from Park Square

https://www.google.fr/maps/@53.3840192,-1.459006,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCpGLHwn_300rCGN3d8a62Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

until just past Derek Dooley Way where Bernard Road goes over

https://www.google.fr/maps/@53.385209,-1.4528284,3a,75y,97.47h,85.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1simv5amJgehwokP9pSxl7jQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

1 hour ago, redbig said:

What on earth are you on about? I knew exactly which section you were talking about, all I said was 50/60 is plenty for "the parkway", it clearly says that.

50/60 is fine for the parkway. All of it. In my opinion. Can I make it any clearer? 

All you've added is this self righteous "how dare they reduce the limit". 

You're very confused about what you said and when you said it...  Just as you were confused about which bit of the parkway we were talking about.

37 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Correct - and the only argument in support is -

why not 10mph?

1. It would be safer

2. It would be better for the environment 

3. It wouldn’t significantly alter

journey times.

Therefore they have just took to picking irrelevant holes in peoples posts instead.

1. It's not unsafe, so go ahead and justify why 50mph is acceptable, and not 60, or 70, or 40, or 30.  You can't, I've asked you to about 5 times now.

2. Arguable isn't it.  As discussed, my car won't even be in top gear at 50, so definitely not driving at its most efficient.

3. Not a point, explained in detail to you.

So, you have no points that haven't been thoroughly debunked.  Redbig wasn't even talking about the correct bit of the parkway, hardly difficult to "pick holes" in that.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Crissie

Yes, thanks Janus, but my point is that you were REQUIRED to travel at 60 to make use of the measured mile, to calibrate your speedometer. Last time I checked, only one of the three boards remained.  So although the NSL applied (70 mph), you HAD to travel SLOWER than that (which several on here don't feel is appropriate) to calibrate.  I believe the measured mile (there used to be many of these) was designated by the MoT or DoT, and was often used by emergency services, so they certainly envisaged not necessarily needing to travel right at the limit.  And it's not too long ago (late 80s) so the arguments by some about the capabilities of modern cars don't apply.  Anybody else remember this?

Edited by Crissie

9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You're very confused about what you said and when you said it...  Just as you were confused about which bit of the parkway we were talking about.

1. It's not unsafe, so go ahead and justify why 50mph is acceptable, and not 60, or 70, or 40, or 30.  You can't, I've asked you to about 5 times now.

2. Arguable isn't it.  As discussed, my car won't even be in top gear at 50, so definitely not driving at its most efficient.

3. Not a point, explained in detail to you.

So, you have no points that haven't been thoroughly debunked.  Redbig wasn't even talking about the correct bit of the parkway, hardly difficult to "pick holes" in that.

So in post one 1  I say 50 60 is fine, post 2 says which bit, and that's confusing to you ? No wonder you dont want the limit to change, you'd have a nightmare. Is it 70, is it 50? We'd best hope it stays at 70 (in the 70's bit - to help with your confusion) for your sake, have you written to the powers that be to make then aware of your confusion ?

Can you not just accept that some folk are happy at 50/60 and would be fine if the full stretch was that speed ?

In post #1 you say that 50 - 60 is fine, someone responds to you (and they assume that you are actually joining the discussion, and talking about the 70 mph zone), and you then clarify that you're talking about a bit of road that ISN'T BEING DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD!

If you want to support driving at 50 in the 70 zone, then say that.  Then we can tell you that it's inappropriately slow and would cause you to fail your driving test.

On 19/07/2019 at 20:38, redbig said:

Says me. And apparently the qualified professionals who set it at 50... (Don't you feel silly now?).

You even respond directly to Ecconoob, by incorrectly claiming that the limit was set by professionals at 50, when it was actually set at NSL.  At least on the bit of road that this entire thread is about and that everyone else is talking about.

Why does the thread title include Parkway as the majority of the NSL is on the Rotherham Gateway?

I'd guess it's because nobody has ever called it that and common parlance is that the parkway runs to the motorway junction from Park Square roundabout.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

In post #1 you say that 50 - 60 is fine, someone responds to you (and they assume that you are actually joining the discussion, and talking about the 70 mph zone), and you then clarify that you're talking about a bit of road that ISN'T BEING DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD!

If you want to support driving at 50 in the 70 zone, then say that.  Then we can tell you that it's inappropriately slow and would cause you to fail your driving test.

You even respond directly to Ecconoob, by incorrectly claiming that the limit was set by professionals at 50, when it was actually set at NSL.  At least on the bit of road that this entire thread is about and that everyone else is talking about.

So despite clarifying it, you still don't understand it? Baffling.  I'll say it again,50/60 is fine on the parkway, full stretch, in my opinion.

I don't want to support anything, as unlike you, I don't think that my driving skills or knowledge are above such decreases. 50 would be fine. Who set NSL? Experts ? Nit picking at its finest.

Again, all in my own opinion (disclaimer just for you)

Hi Crissie,
Thank you for explaining about the 'measured mile'. I had never heard of it, and didn't know  about using it to calibrate.

I only posted as I thought you meant there was a section that was 60 mph, so I had misunderstood you.

Just out of interest, was it from where the NSL starts, and up to the M1 roundabout? I don't actually know how long that stretch is.

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I'd guess it's because nobody has ever called it that and common parlance is that the parkway runs to the motorway junction from Park Square roundabout.

Even my sat nav calls it Parkway from J33