Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

On 20/07/2019 at 08:16, redbig said:

No I'm not misunderstanding it, I do between 50-60 on it (in the 50 zone) and that's plenty on that road, in my opinion.

Yep, and I'm talking about the 50 zone where 50-60 is fine, in my opinion. But mine doesn't count because old Cyclone can't have his driving skills questioned 

You've tried to strawman everyone then.  Nobody has talked about doing 70 in the 50 zone, nor is there a proposal to change the  speed limit for the 50 zone.  Driving at 50 in the 50 zone isn't too slow, nobody has said it is.

On 19/07/2019 at 13:33, redbig said:

70mph is too fast on the parkway, 50-60 is about right. 

Just to remind you, this is how you launched in, on a thread that is specifically talking about the 70 mph section of the parkway.

You then proceed to argue for several pages before coming out with the gem that you don't even drive on the section being discussed and are in fact talking about a different part of the road to everyone else.  You then seem to think that this is every else's problem and not yours.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You've tried to strawman everyone then.  Nobody has talked about doing 70 in the 50 zone, nor is there a proposal to change the  speed limit for the 50 zone.  Driving at 50 in the 50 zone isn't too slow, nobody has said it is.

Just to remind you, this is how you launched in, on a thread that is specifically talking about the 70 mph section of the parkway.

You then proceed to argue for several pages before coming out with the gem that you don't even drive on the section being discussed and are in fact talking about a different part of the road to everyone else.  You then seem to think that this is every else's problem and not yours.

Strawman ? Nope, no idea. 50 is fine for the 50 bit, as it would be in the 70 bit if the experts reduced it. Or I could just nerd it up like you quoting absolute nonsense because you think your driving skills preclude you from such decreases. 

It is everyone else's problem, not mine, since if the 70 limit was reduced I'd have no problems with that. But feel free to quote how many top gear magazines you've read which should give you a pass from the upcoming speed limit cut.

1 hour ago, redbig said:

Strawman ? Nope, no idea. 50 is fine for the 50 bit, as it would be in the 70 bit if the experts reduced it. Or I could just nerd it up like you quoting absolute nonsense because you think your driving skills preclude you from such decreases. 

It is everyone else's problem, not mine, since if the 70 limit was reduced I'd have no problems with that. But feel free to quote how many top gear magazines you've read which should give you a pass from the upcoming speed limit cut.

But the limit in the Rotherham section isn't 50 currently, it's 70. 50 is not fine in a 70, it's overly cautious and causes other cars to make manoeuvres. It displays a lack of driving competence.

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

But the limit in the Rotherham section isn't 50 currently, it's 70. 50 is not fine in a 70, it's overly cautious and causes other cars to make manoeuvres. It displays a lack of driving competence.

It also shows a lack of situational awareness and a lack of care and thought towards other road users, due to the manoeuvres they need to make to get past, as WiseOwl182 rightly says.

If you're driving something that can't get beyond 50 (a loaded HGV or a wide load for example), then that's fine but if your vehicle can achieve the limit then you should do so if traffic conditions permit, it's just good, polite driving.

If you're an experienced driver, you will doubtless have encountered a slow moving wide load on a motorway. These things tend to take up two lanes and chug along at 50/60 at best. You'll frequently find a queue of traffic extending back a considerable distance, (sometimes miles), as other traffic queues to get past it in the remaining lane. The same principle occurs if someone drives at 50 in the nearside lane on the 2 lane 70 section of the Parkway.

13 hours ago, redbig said:

A strawman is where you introduce a point that nobody has made, pretend that they DID make it, and then proceed to argue against it.

I've no idea how my driving skills are relevant to the proposed reduction, perhaps you could explain?

There isn't an upcoming cut, there's a proposal which we're discussing and which seem to have failed to make any points about whatsoever instead preferring to just attack me.

16 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes I know, and if it was reduced the 50 that would be fine (in my opinion), I'm not saying it's fine to do 50 in the 70 zone

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

A strawman is where you introduce a point that nobody has made, pretend that they DID make it, and then proceed to argue against it.

I've no idea how my driving skills are relevant to the proposed reduction, perhaps you could explain?

There isn't an upcoming cut, there's a proposal which we're discussing and which seem to have failed to make any points about whatsoever instead preferring to just attack me.

Which point? You've lost me.

I know what we're discussing, I've said 50 would be fine by me, only to be told about qualified professionals etc etc. Again it's just my opinion, if the 70 was reduced to 50 I'd have no problems with that

On 19/07/2019 at 13:33, redbig said:

70mph is too fast on the parkway, 50-60 is about right. 

On 19/07/2019 at 18:59, ECCOnoob said:

says who?

On 19/07/2019 at 20:38, redbig said:

Says me. And apparently the qualified professionals who set it at 50... (Don't you feel silly now?). No idea about the Rotherham bit, I get on and off at handsworth, and 60 is plenty even at 10mph over the limit

Seems a lot of self righteous people on here, tend to get them on all car threads, the "my driving skills are so great" brigade. In fact I'm replying to one by the sounds of it 

That's you.  Strawmanning.

You claim that the speed limit is set at 50, when we're discussing the part of the parkway where the speed limit is NSL (70 for cars).  You claimed that 70 was "too fast", but then in subsequent posts quickly retreat to talking about an entirely different bit of road that isn't under discussion by anyone except you.

Oh, and you were the one who started talking about qualified professionals.

And finally, you said you don't even use the part under discussion, so I'm unsurprised that you'd have no problem...  But you've also given no justification for why the limit should be reduced, something that nobody in support of reducing it can actually give apparently.

Edited by Cyclone

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

That's you.  Strawmanning.

You claim that the speed limit is set at 50, when we're discussing the part of the parkway where the speed limit is NSL (70 for cars).  You claimed that 70 was "too fast", but then in subsequent posts quickly retreat to talking about an entirely different bit of road that isn't under discussion by anyone except you.

Oh, and you were the one who started talking about qualified professionals.

And finally, you said you don't even use the part under discussion, so I'm unsurprised that you'd have no problem...  But you've also given no justification for why the limit should be reduced, something that nobody in support of reducing it can actually give apparently.

Quite clearly says 50-60 is right in the bit that I drive on regularly (the 50 bit), not sure what's confusing you about that?

Quickly retreat? In the 2nd post I clearly state it's the 50 zone, you should know because you've just reposted it ?

I don't think it should be reduced, but if it was i couldn't give a monkeys because, as clearly stated, 50-60 on there is fine by me, why do I need to justify that? You don't seem to want to accept it's just someone else's opinion

Yeah, you see though there are several different posts quoted there.  And you didn't mention the 50 section (that nobody but you was talking about) in that first post did you.

So yeah, a quick retreat, in that second post, after realising that nobody else was talking about the 50 zone.

Now you don't think it should be reduced.  It's fine by you if it is, but you don't think it should be.  But you think that 50 - 60 is the right speed, but only in the 50mph section, which we aren't talking about at all!

Yeah, you added a lot to this thread, thanks for all that.

Edited by Cyclone

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Yeah, you see though there are several different posts quoted there.  And you didn't mention the 50 section (that nobody but you was talking about) in that first post did you.

So yeah, a quick retreat, in that second post, after realising that nobody else was talking about the 50 zone.

Now you don't think it should be reduced.  It's fine by you if it is, but you don't think it should be.  But you think that 50 - 60 is the right speed, but only in the 50mph section, which we aren't talking about at all!

Yeah, you added a lot to this thread, thanks for all that.

What on earth are you on about? I knew exactly which section you were talking about, all I said was 50/60 is plenty for "the parkway", it clearly says that.

50/60 is fine for the parkway. All of it. In my opinion. Can I make it any clearer? 

All you've added is this self righteous "how dare they reduce the limit". 

Didn't you have to drive at 60 mph to make use of the measured mile on the NSL section of the Parkway?