Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I dont say its correct - the Highways authority do.   They set the maximum legal speed limits which they have deemed safe to drive at by competent trained licenced drivers in normal road contitions on on that particular section of the parkway - it is set at 70mph all the way from J33 motorway exit to the Handsworth slip roads. 

We appear to be at crossed wires here.   I dont know why you keep bringing up the 50 section because that it not the issue.   The issue is people repeatedly making these ludicrous suggestions that people driving at 70mph in the 70mph zone are somehow "speeders" "driving too fast"  "dangerous"      That is simpy not the case. 

You appear to be advocating that it should be reduced without providing any reason or knowledge. 

Again, I'm talking about the 50 zone, I'm not advocating any reduction, but if it WAS reduced then 50-60 would be fine on that stretch.... Again, in my opinion.

And I don't think 70 in a 70 is dangerous at all

19 hours ago, redbig said:

70mph is too fast on the parkway, 50-60 is about right. 

The speed limit is 70mph on the Rotherham section. It's a dual carriageway with central reservation so how is that too fast?

19 hours ago, francypants said:

Seems to me that men who think they have to drive at the speed limit all the time in big cars have something to prove.   Small appendages come to mind.................

Nice bit of sexist misandry but irrelevant. Seems to me people like to drive at the limit allowed to get to where they're going as quickly as LEGALLY ALLOWED to do so.

8 hours ago, Crissie said:

No I don't think Cyclone's an expert driver, other than in his (or her) own eyes. But they fall in with a number of contributors on here of the opinion that the key sign of a 'good' driver is to go as fast as is legally allowed, and consider all other views to be "ludicrous", "laughable", "incompetent", "incapable" and so on.....

It's not unreasonable to go just under speed limit, say 65 in a 70. The "ludicrous" and "incompetent" statements are aimed towards those claiming 70 in a 70 is too fast, and proudly announcing they drive at 50 on motorways in clear conditions and don't mind holding traffic up and forcing them into manoeuvres.

1 hour ago, crookesjoe said:

It's boring mate, when people post and use words like 'sophistry', it just alienates people. I'd say 90% of people don't even know what 'sophistry' even means. 

You would come across better if you just spoke like a normal person, no need for the faux fancy vernacular.

Hmmm... :huh:

... with respect, I think you may be underestimating the intelligence of some of us forummers.

Anyway, what's a cable railway system got to do with speeds on the parkway? :confused:

1 hour ago, redbig said:

No I'm not misunderstanding it, I do between 50-60 on it (in the 50 zone) and that's plenty on that road, in my opinion.

Yep, and I'm talking about the 50 zone where 50-60 is fine, in my opinion. But mine doesn't count because old Cyclone can't have his driving skills questioned 

No, 50 to 60 isn't fine in the 50mph zone. That's speeding. The limit is 50 due to the configuration of the junctions. The 70 limit section is what is under discussion, and that section is clearly safe to be a 70 limit, and currently is a 70 limit, so driving at 70 on it is not "speeding" or "formula one".

Edited by WiseOwl182

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's not unreasonable to go just under speed limit, say 65 in a 70. The "ludicrous" and "incompetent" statements are aimed towards those claiming 70 in a 70 is too fast, and proudly announcing they drive at 50 on motorways in clear conditions and don't mind holding traffic up and forcing them into manoeuvres.

How on earth are you holding traffic up in clear conditions, unless of course you are in the middle or outside lane.. then I agree with you.

Just now, Padders said:

How on earth are you holding traffic up in clear conditions, unless of course you are in the middle or outside lane.. then I agree with you.

You could be in the middle or outside lane, or you could be causing HGVs to overtake in the middle lane and therefore cause a knock on effect of pushing out 65mph drivers into the outside lane, so that there are no longer any lanes left for anyone wanting to drive at the 70 limit, therefore causing them to brake and triggering a concertina traffic jam.

12 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No, 50 to 60 isn't fine in the 50mph zone. That's speeding. The limit is 50 due to the configuration of the junctions. The 70 limit section is what is under discussion, and that section is clearly safe to be a 70 limit, and currently is a 70 limit, so driving at 70 on it is not "speeding" or "formula one".

Fine as in "that's fast enough". I'm discussing the 50 zone, as clearly stated. I never said it was speeding, I do 70 on it, and if it was reduced to 60 is have no problems with it, especially in rush hour

6 minutes ago, redbig said:

Fine as in "that's fast enough". I'm discussing the 50 zone, as clearly stated. I never said it was speeding, I do 70 on it, and if it was reduced to 60 is have no problems with it, especially in rush hour

Hmmm... :huh:

... and that's another thing! :rant:

Can anyone explain to me why it's called 'rush hour' when it's clearly the time of day when everyone seems to decide to drive as slow as possible? :confused:

My god this thread has well and truly come off the rails. 

The antagonists are are so desprate to give a wind up they have started arguing with themselves.

WiseOwl182 I admire your attempt to try and maintain sanity to this debate but we lost him man.....   Just chuck a blanket over it.....  it's gone.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, crookesjoe said:

It's boring mate, when people post and use words like 'sophistry', it just alienates people. I'd say 90% of people don't even know what 'sophistry' even means. 

You would come across better if you just spoke like a normal person, no need for the faux fancy vernacular.

So we should dumb down our posts because you and/or have no inclination to improve your own vocabulary? 

The mere suggestion is astonishingly asinine. 

Bickering and insulting posts and follow-ons removed. If you are unable to remain civil then don't post.