Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

You're actually disagreeing with reality, not me.  What do you think is in the wrong, the criteria for the driving test?  It's like disagreeing that water is wet...

21 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You're actually disagreeing with reality, not me.  What do you think is in the wrong, the criteria for the driving test?  It's like disagreeing that water is wet...

Hmmm... :huh:

... well actually Mr Cyclone, I think you need to have a word with your mate Mr Google.

He seems to think that water itself is not wet, but is a liquid that sticks to the surface of solids making them wet.

Oh what fun you two must have together... :hihi:

By that definition a single molecule of water wouldn't be wet, but a collection of them by definition are saturated with themselves, covered with themselves, and so they are wet.   But this is just sophistry.

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Thats not big and not Clever.   Infact Stupid and deserves to be banned from driving for life. Anyhow how do you know  what speed he was doing have you got a speed gun or summat.  :suspect:

No I checked my speedo as I passed him 😂😂😂but seriously it was on news 

1 hour ago, redbig said:

Says me. And apparently the qualified professionals who set it at 50... (Don't you feel silly now?). No idea about the Rotherham bit, I get on and off at handsworth, and 60 is plenty even at 10mph over the limit

Seems a lot of self righteous people on here, tend to get them on all car threads, the "my driving skills are so great" brigade. In fact I'm replying to one by the sounds of it 

At no point have I said any such thing.

What I have tried to establish is what makes you such an expert and your opinion so valid over and above qualified and experienced professionals in the highways authoirty who set the maximum safe speed limit on such part of the road to 70mph.    Perhaps if you actually drove on the 'Rotherham bit' you would actually have a clue what we are talking about. 

Just because you say its too much and "60 is plenty" doesnt make it correct. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I"m going round in circles here (at 30mph) I"m not disputing your above post, but driving at 50/60 is not too slow.

....In your opinion.    An opinion which is totally ludicrous when we are talking about the equivillent of 30% slower the legally set limits.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

You could"nt make it up. I"ve heard everything now....Failing you driving test at 50/60 mph.

If your driving test took you onto a dual carraigeway with a 70mph limit and your slow speed was causing a hazard to others or making them conduct a dangerous overtake unnecessarilly then YES it would be a fail. 

This has been pointed out to you several times now and you have been shown the evidence for it within a driving test mark sheet.    Why is this so hard to understand.

People do fail tests for NOT MAINTAINING PROGRESSION. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

51 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

B....In your opinion.    An opinion which is totally ludicrous when we are talking about the equivillent of 30% slower the legally set limits. 

If your driving test took you onto a dual carraigeway with a 70mph limit and your slow speed was causing a hazard to others or making them conduct a dangerous overtake unnecessarilly then YES it would be a fail. 

This has been pointed out to you several times now and you have been shown the evidence for it within a driving test mark sheet.    Why is this so hard to understand.

People do fail tests for NOT MAINTAINING PROGRESSION. 

Forgive me, I'm not so young as I used to be, but in my day driving tests never went on 70 mph roads (possibly a shortcoming, but time dictated what could be done) - do they now?

And really, I think it's only fair to defend Padders; an opinion can't be totally ludicrous, it's simply an opinion. Just as whist I disagree with some of your own opinions, I don't feel the need to insult them.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

At no point have I said any such thing.

What I have tried to establish is what makes you such an expert and your opinion so valid over and above qualified and experienced professionals in the highways authoirty who set the maximum safe speed limit on such part of the road to 70mph.    Perhaps if you actually drove on the 'Rotherham bit' you would actually have a clue what we are talking about. 

Just because you say its too much and "60 is plenty" doesnt make it correct. 

No but that's what you sound like, don't know if you realise? 

Who says I'm an expert? By that I take it you think you are ? The experts have set it at 50mph (the bit after handsworth as i clearly said in my post). 

Back at YOU, just because YOU say it's correct it doesn't make it so. My opinion is no more valid than yours. That's what I said about these car people, they get so uptight if someone questions their point of view, like the car is an extension of their ego. Weird, but each to their own. 

Can I suggest that all the drivers who have no time constraints use the A6178 to Tinsley to join the M1 so making the Parkway less congested for those of us who haven't got all day.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, redbig said:

No but that's what you sound like, don't know if you realise? 

Who says I'm an expert? By that I take it you think you are ? The experts have set it at 50mph (the bit after handsworth as i clearly said in my post). 

Back at YOU, just because YOU say it's correct it doesn't make it so. My opinion is no more valid than yours. That's what I said about these car people, they get so uptight if someone questions their point of view, like the car is an extension of their ego. Weird, but each to their own. 

Maybe you've misunderstood. Nobody is arguing the Handsworth towards City Centre should be 70. 

That bit is 50mph because an idiot designed the junctions to have vehicles joining the carriageway as others are trying to leave causing conflict and then a bigger idiot ok'd the building of it.  Handsworth to J33 has 1 junction in between and is of the normal off slip > on slip setup that we have on the motorways. 

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It is, it's literally too slow on a 70mph limit road, it's so slow that you would be given faults or failed on your driving test.  It's the very definition of too slow.

There is no other definition of what speed is acceptable than that defined for the test, you can't decide for yourself what speed is okay, that's not how it works. 

No, again you're wrong here Cyclone. It is - correctly imho - a subjective decision based upon prevailing conditions, you MUST decide for yourself, that's one of the attributes of a good driver. What you deem to be the right speed for you, may not be the same speed that I nor the examiner feel is safe given the same conditions. 

What the examiner is looking for
The examiner is assessing your ability to

1. Approach junctions and hazards at the correct speed
  2. Use speed to maintain a safe gap between you and other vehicles
  3. Always drive at a speed sufficient to stop well within in the distance you can see to be clear.

Driving faults recorded
18 Use of speed:

• Drives in excess of the speed limit.
  • Drives at a speed, which is too fast for the road, traffic or weather conditions.
  • Drives too fast on the approach to certain hazards.
  • Drives too fast on the approach to junctions.