Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

1 hour ago, Padders said:

70 is the maximum speed you are allowed to do, 71 is breaking the law.. I will mozy along at 50/60 thank you, not risking 3pts on my licence.

As for these guys who say the police can prosecute for driving at 50 on a motorway, deluded, or have I just been lucky.

As I linked earlier you can be prosecuted for careless driving if an officer deems that it's causing an issue. That would get you at least 6 points .

You wouldn't be prosecuted for 71mph. There are too many variables to make such an accurate detection which is why most forces employ a leeway. It used to be 10% plus 2 meaning you could actually travel at 79mph before being flashed for speeding on motorways. However with increases in detection accuracy and accuracy of speedometers some forces have lowered this leeway. 

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

As I linked earlier you can be prosecuted for careless driving if an officer deems that it's causing an issue. That would get you at least 6 points .

You wouldn't be prosecuted for 71mph. There are too many variables to make such an accurate detection which is why most forces employ a leeway. It used to be 10% plus 2 meaning you could actually travel at 79mph before being flashed for speeding on motorways. However with increases in detection accuracy and accuracy of speedometers some forces have lowered this leeway. 

Completely agree... What I"m trying to say is ,driving at 50 in the appropriate lane on the motorway is NOT careless driving.

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

Do you mean careful driver., 30/40 is to slow in good conditions.  I"ve driven all over the country, south coast, cornwall, east west with 2 small children in the back, their safety is paramount to me,  though I must confess they used to say to me, Dad can we pass something, when I did they used to clap and cheer, seems speeding is in everyones DNA.

50 mph on the motorway isn't careful, it's nervous, timid driving and causes a hazard that doesn't need to exist. 

General rule of thumb for the motorway in good conditions, Unless there's traffic ahead or you're exiting at a junction if you're being overtaken by a HGV then you're driving too slow.  Speed up or leave the motorway.

Just to reiterate a point @Cyclone made, why is it that you think that driving at the speed limit in good conditions is tantamount to speeding?

I'd love for you to go and do a Rospa driving assessment. I have no issue in stating that they would find your driving below the required standard.

Edited by Resident

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Just to reiterate a point @Cyclone made, why is it that you think that driving at the speed limit in good conditions is tantamount to speeding?

Simple,  70mph is fast, speed limit has nothing to do with. at 70 mph you are speeding.

If the speed limit was 100mph Cyclone would say 70 is to slow.

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Simple,  70mph is fast, speed limit has nothing to do with. at 70 mph you are speeding.

At 70mph with a 70mph limit, you are NOT speeding. You're deluded.

50 on a clear motorway in good conditions is almost dangerously slow.

Just now, Padders said:

So by your definition moving in any direction whatsoever is speeding. You're travelling at a measurable rate. 

Let me clarify it for you. In a 70mph limit zone, travelling at 70mph is NOT speeding, you have not exceeded the determined limit. Furthermore that limit has been determined as within safe limits in good conditions. 

Current motorway limits were set on DECEMBER 22, 1965. At the time the vast majority of vehicles were still using drum brakes and by today's standard had unsafe chassis design. Many did not have even the luxury of a seat-belt.

Today's vehicles are much safer. I can stop a 2015 12ton vehicle in less time/distance that it would take to stop an Austin/Morris 1100 (best selling car of 1965 weighing in at 0.83ton)

26 minutes ago, Padders said:

Do you mean careful driver., 

No, I mean incompetent. Anybody too nervous to drive near the speed limit bin clear conditions should not be on the road at all, as they're clearly not confident enough in their own driving ability.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Well, that's it then, speed limits everywhere to be dropped to 50.  And then 30.  And then 10.

That's basically your argument.

You'll be able to demonstrate a safety problem with that particular bit of road I assume then, you and makapaka both.

Otherwise you're talking nonsense.

Nope - never said anything about dropping speed limits to 30 and then 10. 

Strawman.

3 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No, I mean incompetent. Anybody too nervous to drive near the speed limit bin clear conditions should not be on the road at all, as they're clearly not confident enough in their own driving ability.

Since when has it been obligatory to drive near the speed limit.

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Since when has it been obligatory to drive near the speed limit.

Read this:

23 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Section 20:

On test you needed to show that you can drive at a realistic speed appropriate to the road and traffic conditions.

You needed to approach all hazards at a safe, controlled speed, without being over cautious or slowing or stopping other road users. You should always be ready to move away from junctions as soon as it is safe and correct to do so.

Driving too slowly can frustrate other drivers which creates danger for yourself and others.

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Read this:

Completely agree with it.

12 minutes ago, Padders said:

What I"m trying to say is ,driving at 50 in the appropriate lane on the motorway is NOT careless driving.

It is careless driving.

Most HGV’s on UK motorways are speed limited to 56mph. If you are doing 50 in lane 1, every HGV and coach which comes up behind you has to pull out into lane 2 to overtake you. That then means that anyone driving at the speed limit in lane 2 then has to pull out into lane to overtake the lorries and buses now in lane 2. If the motorway is particularly busy, you will affect the average motorway speed for up to 5-10 miles behind you.

So if you drive for an hour on a reasonably busy motorway, you will force between 600-1000 vehicles of all sizes to make unplanned overtaking moves each having their own level of risk, simply because you don’t know how to use a motorway.

Like many others on this thread, I suggest that you either improve your driving standards or call it a day and hand in your licence.