Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 17:45, iansheff said:

Just reading in the Star that there is to be a consultation on reducing the speed limit from Handsworth to the Motorway from 70mph to 50mph with the aim to cut pollution.  I feel it should be left at 70mph, there aren't a lot of buildings on that stretch, what do others think?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/speed-limit-on-sheffield-parkway-set-to-be-cut-423666

Maybe you wouldn`t way that if you lived next to it ? I can remember when they were talking about introducing a 50mph speed limit on the M1 though Tinsley as it`s very polluted round there. Loads of drivers came on moaning about it, but I bet hardly any of them actually lived in Tinsley near the motorway. My take on it was those complainants should have been asked if they`d still object to it if they lived near the motorway,  and then take a lie detector test if they said they would still object. There objection would only be accepted if they passed the test....

Have you looked at a map Justin to see where the houses are that you're concerned about?

On 13/07/2019 at 20:55, ECCOnoob said:

Showing him your skills as you put it is demonstrating that you can competently drive at an appropriate speed for the road conditions. 

Do you think that examiner would be impressed by some deliberately being overcautious and driving slowly?   How exactly is that demonstrating competent driving skills?

What about if said learner was being over cautious and decides to trundle along at 40mph on a 60-70mph dual carraigeway?    I take it that is perfectly accepted on your planet.

Good for them. 

They are 6 cars ahead at the next junction and could likely get through the next set of lights one change ahead than they otherwise would have done which will mean they can get through the next set one change ahead and soforth.

Getting those 6 cars ahead may get them in front of that bus which is almost ready to depart or that truck which was just about to start its reverse into a side road orthat level crossing which was almost ready to come down.....

What exactly is the problem?

Oh no problem at all, completely worth while exercise. 

Baffling 

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Ooooo that's worthy of a thread on it's own that one - could you pass your test now. We all see terrible driving, but we are never the terrible drivers!

I passed my PCV first time with 3 minors 9 weeks ago if that counts? 

1 hour ago, Easy livin said:

For those who are now rabbiting on about this mythical ability to drive at a constant 70.

If your car is modern enough.  Post up the average speed driven from the dash display

You might be surprised how slow you actually manage

Nobody claimed to average or to drive at a constant 70.  I know full well that my long term average is barely above 20, but then I mostly drive around on 30/40 limit roads into and through town.

9 hours ago, Padders said:

Nah, they go far to fast for my liking.

Don't feed the troll.

6 hours ago, Easy livin said:

For those who are now rabbiting on about this mythical ability to drive at a constant 70.

If your car is modern enough.  Post up the average speed driven from the dash display

You might be surprised how slow you actually manage

That doesn't prove anything. I might spend a week commuting within Sheffield averaging 15mph but then that would be irrelevant to my correct 70mph use of a motorway at the weekend. 

On 14/07/2019 at 19:46, Cyclone said:

Did you just claim that 30 mph was "racing around"...  Seriously?

They're not mentioned because they're not relevant to the discussion about speed that's currently happening.

Just saying that lots of contributors and  the anti-camera brigade suggest that the authorities focus too much on speed ... and the same people bang on about speed and how too much, too little is viewed by them, by examiners etc. 

I was hoping that, one of these days, contributors to driving threads (“you’d fail your driving test if you did that...”) could initiate discussion about something different ... and the sample DL25 (L-test marking sheet) could be the starting point. 

Edited by DT Ralge

15 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Just saying that lots of contributors and  the anti-camera brigade suggest that the authorities focus too much on speed ... and the same people bang on about speed and how too much, too little is viewed by them, by examiners etc. 

I was hoping that, one of these days, contributors to driving threads (“you’d fail your driving test if you did that...”) could initiate discussion about something different ... and the sample DL25 (L-test marking sheet) could be the starting point. 

Well, I would say it is important to the debate particuarly when responding to some troll who feels they are high and mighty because they choose to drive deliberately and unnecessarilly slow.

One driver test sheet coming up for those who still choose to pretend it is not an issue.   Google found it in less than 5 seconds. 
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/659103/dl25-driving-test-report-form.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-test-report-forms/driving-test-report-explained

I will even be nice and highlight it so everyone is clear.

Section 20:

On test you needed to show that you can drive at a realistic speed appropriate to the road and traffic conditions.

You needed to approach all hazards at a safe, controlled speed, without being over cautious or slowing or stopping other road users. You should always be ready to move away from junctions as soon as it is safe and correct to do so.

Driving too slowly can frustrate other drivers which creates danger for yourself and others.

Edited by ECCOnoob

12 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Start a thread and tell us about it, not something I'm familiar with!

To be fair, people also complain about inappropriate lane use, maneuvers without indication, using phones and people running lights.  Beyond that, it all gets a bit vague though I feel.  I can't see if someone else has poor hazard perception or slow reactions, whereas you can see someone holding up traffic at 30% less than the speed limit or sitting in an overtaking lane for no reason.

That's pretty much totally irrelevant, if you select any 3 or 4 mile portion of journey then the difference will be pretty small.  So what?

That's not a good reason to reduce the speed limit is it.  You could make exactly the same argument about driving from Junc 33 to Junc 34 of the M1, but that doesn't mean we should drive it at 50mp.

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
51 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's pretty much totally irrelevant, if you select any 3 or 4 mile portion of journey then the difference will be pretty small.  So what?

That's not a good reason to reduce the speed limit is it.  You could make exactly the same argument about driving from Junc 33 to Junc 34 of the M1, but that doesn't mean we should drive it at 50mp.

If the speed limit was 50mph - and everyone stuck to it - it would be safer for everyone with minimal impact on travel times though.

I think it should be considered.

22 minutes ago, makapaka said:

If the speed limit was 50mph - and everyone stuck to it - it would be safer for everyone with minimal impact on travel times though.

I think it should be considered.

Depends on how far you're travelling.

For me to use the M6 from Preston to Carlisle:

At 70 mph: 1 hour, 35 minutes

At 50 mph: 2 hours, 13 minutes

I'd rather have that extra 45 minutes not stuck behind the wheel.