Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

50mph might have seemed fast in the 1960's when motorways and dual carriageways weren't as common. and cars weren't nearly as reliable. Nowadays on a 70mph limit road in decent conditions and light/moderate traffic it is anything but "flamin fast"...........even "sedate" would hardly be a fair description.

It's just entirely normal I feel.

I drove back from Newcastle yesterday, in a Citroen DS3, hardly a performance vehicle.  Almost the entire journey on cruise control at an indicated 80 (which according to the GPS is actually 75).  It's not "fast" on an appropriate road.  It's just getting home without taking an extra hour!

130 miles, one stop for a coffee, so about 2 hrs in total.  At 50 mph that would be approaching an hour extra, not to mention contributing to congestion as HGVs have to pull out to pass me at 55.

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

50mph might have seemed fast in the 1960's when motorways and dual carriageways weren't as common. and cars weren't nearly as reliable. Nowadays on a 70mph limit road in decent conditions and light/moderate traffic it is anything but "flamin fast"...........even "sedate" would hardly be a fair description.

You must drive when I don't, or you're following law breaking white van drivers! There are days when I can only dream of hitting 70 on motorways!

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

But you also think that driving at 30 mph is racing around, and that 70 mph is a dangerous speed.

30mph is racing around in built up areas.. never said that 70 is dangerous. I"ve often drove at 70 , but prefer 50/60.

What I did say is speed kills, your more likely to be seriously injured at 70 than 50.(if you are involved in an accident)

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's just entirely normal I feel.

I drove back from Newcastle yesterday, in a Citroen DS3, hardly a performance vehicle.  Almost the entire journey on cruise control at an indicated 80 (which according to the GPS is actually 75).  It's not "fast" on an appropriate road.  It's just getting home without taking an extra hour!

130 miles, one stop for a coffee, so about 2 hrs in total.  At 50 mph that would be approaching an hour extra, not to mention contributing to congestion as HGVs have to pull out to pass me at 55.

I've got a Citroen Berlingo - again hardly a sports car - but am happy to do 80mph all day on French motorways (the speed limit over here) - and as the ferry back to England is 400 miles away that's the speed I really need to do on motorways (about a third of journey is non motorway) to get there without an overnight stop.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You must drive when I don't, or you're following law breaking white van drivers! There are days when I can only dream of hitting 70 on motorways!

Must admit much of my driving on motorways in England nowadays is on a Sunday - but unless traffic is really heavy I usually don't have any problems getting up to 70 on the M1 / M42 /M40 /M62/ etc most days of the week.

Daft question,  How many people on here use their Horn.. I don"t even know where the button is.

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

30mph is racing around in built up areas..

Depends on the road - for example by a school with cars parked on both sides of the road then yes, 30 is too high. On Penistone Road and most non estate roads outside rush hour then it isn't "racing" by any means.

You'd fail the driving test if you told the examiner that as well.  You might need to use it to alert someone to your presence.  For example they are about to pull sideways into you, having not looked, or a pedestrian is about to step out into your path (I used mine for that just the other day, I saw her look the wrong way and start to step forwards, horn was the safest thing to do).

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Daft question,  How many people on here use their Horn.. I don"t even know where the button is.

Let’s just hope that your brakes or steering don’t fail at the top of Jenkin Road. 😡

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

You'd fail the driving test if you told the examiner that as well.  You might need to use it to alert someone to your presence.  For example they are about to pull sideways into you, having not looked, or a pedestrian is about to step out into your path (I used mine for that just the other day, I saw her look the wrong way and start to step forwards, horn was the safest thing to do).

Another example of impatience, You"ve seen the hazard, slow down and stop if need be, instead of frightening the living daylights out of someone.

20 minutes ago, Padders said:

30mph is racing around in built up areas.. never said that 70 is dangerous. I"ve often drove at 70 , but prefer 50/60.

What I did say is speed kills, your more likely to be seriously injured at 70 than 50.(if you are involved in an accident)

It simply isn't.  30 mph is entirely appropriate on many roads.  I'll drive down Middlewood Road later, 30 mph is the correct speed to drive at.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Another example of impatience, You"ve seen the hazard, slow down and stop if need be, instead of frightening the living daylights out of someone.

So someone pulling left into you from the right hand lane, you think you can avoid rather than warn...  The more you explain about your driving the worse it gets.  You don't know when or even HOW to use the audible warning device on your car!  You drive inappropriately slowly.  You sound like a real hazard.

You apparently don't understand what "safest thing to do" means.  Not alerting her and attempting instead to stop would be more dangerous.  I could have still avoided her probably had she not responded to the horn, but the risk would have been increased.  I doubt that she was scared, but a little shock might make her look both ways in the future and save her life.

Edited by Cyclone

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Perhaps it's about time you packed in driving and caught the bus or tram.

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Perhaps it's about time you packed in driving and caught the bus or tram.

Nah, they go far to fast for my liking.