Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

No such thing as deceleration, being pedantic, it's just acceleration with a particular vector.

Potential doesn't do anything, that's why it's a potential.  QED speed doesn't kill.

If you want more proof, think about how fast we're rotating on the surface of the earth, think about how fast we orbit the sun, think about how fast the sun is moving within the galaxy.  Speed is not harmful in any way.

Is this an admission that you can't explain...

I’m fairly sure that you understand basic physics. I’m also fairly sure that you will have some pedantic reason for denying reality.

So, let’s just leave it this way. If you aren’t travelling quickly, stopping quickly won’t hurt. On the other hand, if you are travelling quickly, stoping quickly might well hurt or even kill. The quicker you go and the quicker you stop, the more dangerous things become.

Denying reality...  Which bit did you believe was inaccurate in what I said?

If you aren't travelling quickly, then you can't stop quickly, I didn't say otherwise.  No, the quicker you go is irrelevant, as you've already acknowledged, it's acceleration that's dangerous, not speed.  And when we talk about roads, it's inappropriate speed that is dangerous and that includes driving too slowly.

55 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Denying reality...  Which bit did you believe was inaccurate in what I said?

If you aren't travelling quickly, then you can't stop quickly, I didn't say otherwise.  No, the quicker you go is irrelevant, as you've already acknowledged, it's acceleration that's dangerous, not speed.  And when we talk about roads, it's inappropriate speed that is dangerous and that includes driving too slowly.

Say what ?

"...the quicker you go is irrelevant,...it's acceleration that's dangerous, not speed"

"it's inappropriate speed that is dangerous...".

"QED speed doesn't kill."

Perhaps using the correct term velocity would reduce the confusion.

This would then enable mass and then inertia and momentum to be used to descibe the results of collisions.

In all cases the effect of increasing velocity on the mass create far greater forces during a collision. 

It is these forces that causes damage to structures and bodies.

Increasing the velocity of a mass increases the forces that need to be dissapated in a collision.

Increase the velocity of a collision between a car and a bumble bee enough and the bee will go through the windscreen of your car and your skull.

Increased velocity makes  does makes road collisions more destructive.

Motorways are safer because their design attempts to elimate high velocity collisions.

Unfortunately humans cannot be relied on to decide what is "inappropriate"

1 hour ago, redbig said:

Say what ?

I said that speed isn't harmful.  It doesn't hurt you in anyway.  You can literally go as fast as you like and you won't suffer any harm.

Acceleration on the other hand, that's quite bad, but what's even worse is having bits of car poke holes in you, or abrading your body away on the road surface.

52 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

Not timid here,

Frugal.

i get close to 20% more efficiency  plodding along with the lorries.  and that is worth far more to me than the saving of a few minutes on a journey. 

Perhaps if your time is cheap or you don't value it much.

But travelling at the same speed as lorries at least won't cause them to overtake, unlike the poster who professes to travel at only 50mph, and thus contributes considerably to motorway congestion.

45 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Motorways are safer because their design attempts to elimate high velocity collisions.

Motorways are safer because they are effectively very wide, usually well surfaced single track roads with no pedestrians, cyclists, side turnings, kerbs or street furniture.

I don’t know the exact figures but I suspect that the accidents per mile figures, for a UK motorway is around the 1000x less than other road types mark.

57 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"...the quicker you go is irrelevant,...it's acceleration that's dangerous, not speed"

"it's inappropriate speed that is dangerous...".

"QED speed doesn't kill."

Perhaps using the correct term velocity would reduce the confusion.

This would then enable mass and then inertia and momentum to be used to descibe the results of collisions.

In all cases the effect of increasing velocity on the mass create far greater forces during a collision. 

It is these forces that causes damage to structures and bodies.

Increasing the velocity of a mass increases the forces that need to be dissapated in a collision.

Increase the velocity of a collision between a car and a bumble bee enough and the bee will go through the windscreen of your car and your skull.

Increased velocity makes  does makes road collisions more destructive.

Unfortunately humans cannot be relied on to decide what is "inappropriate"

Velocity is just speed with a vector.  Inertia and momentum are just ways of measuring energy in systems.  It's still acceleration that's the key.  Sufficient acceleration causes internal injuries or joint stress injuries.  For example, your brain suffering sufficient acceleration to cause it to hit the inside of your skull and deform or bruise it.  AKA concussion, or worse.  Surprisingly the human body can withstand extremely high levels of acceleration though, there were some famous rocket sled experiments done to test this.  At least it can when the acceleration is uniform and distributed.  It deals with crush and penetrating injuries considerably less well.

Edited by Cyclone

I'm with Cyclone on this. Happening worryingly often lately. Speed doesn't kill, collisions do. 70mph on a dual carriageway or motorway in good weather conditions and visibility is perfectly safe. Plodding along at 50mph on a clear motorway with a 70 limit is arguably more dangerous than 70mph.

I drove home tonight, at 60 mph for the large part, sometimes 50.  But whilst driving at such a leisurely speed I had time to think about trains.  Imagine how scared some of the earlier posters must be.  I've been on the Japanese bullet train doing 200+ mph.  But even an old UK intercity 125 must terrify them, the shear danger of travelling that fast!

On 09/07/2019 at 20:38, PRESLEY said:

Everybody  cant drive at 70mph at the same time. Grow up. :roll:.  

That's a really odd thing to say. If everyone on the motorway was driving at exactly the same speed there would be no congestion what-so-ever. Distances between vehicles would remain constant.

On 09/07/2019 at 20:21, PRESLEY said:

Depending if there is a high volume of traffic on the motorway you somtimes have to go at 50 in the slow lane, less buisier then I go at 60.  I have never been penalised for this and never will be.  Dont tell me how to drive  Ive  been driving 45years no accidents and  no police pulling me over.  So shuvv  your version of  impeding traffic where the sun doesn't shine.:rant:

Never say never and all that.  Fingers crossed for you.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Easy livin said:

Not timid here,

Frugal.

i get close to 20% more efficiency  plodding along with the lorries.  and that is worth far more to me than the saving of a few minutes on a journey. 

Lol - living in France my motorway / dual carriageway journeys these days are usually to catch ferries from Caen to Portsmouth, then up to Sheffield, and back - a minimum 7 and a half hour journey this side and about 4 hours in England.

Travelling at speed limits (esp the 130kph on motorways over here) saves loads more than a few minutes than if I'd plodded along with the lorries.

Miss the ferry and you've a 10/12 hour wait for the next one (happened once when a lorry shed its load and caused a 3 hour hold up - cost £80 for a hotel room).

On 06/07/2019 at 10:51, Top Cats Hat said:

There are.

There is ONE speed camera.

If there are any other 'Safety Camera's' on there, then they are totally ineffective, as I've been bombing down there at 90+mph for the last 20 or so years with no consequence.