Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

21 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

There's a reason why the hard shoulder has had to be made into a lane.  Congestion.  Made worse by muppets doing 50 in lane one and forcing lorries into lane two and squeezing everyone else who is able to drive to the limit in lane 3.

Imagine  a world if the muppet in lane 1 at 50 mph actually went faster, the lorries could stay in lane 1 and lanes 2 and 3 could be used for cars wanting to do 70.

But even that’s not a dead cert. You go down a hill on a motorway you’ll have some HGV drivers dipping their clutch and doing 58-60 and now they’re in lane 3 with cars wanting to do 70. Conversely, you go up a hill and have fully loaded vans only doing 60 in lane 3 (that’s probably me south of Leicester, sorry) and it throws it all out whack.

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Do you understand how the motorway operates?

If you drive below the speed of the average HGV in lane 1, then an HGV doing 5 mph more than you takes up lane 2, for some considerable time, and the drivers who are doing 65, now move into lane 3 to pass that lorry.  The drivers who were doing 70, or heaven forbid 75, now rapidly tailback behind the driver doing 65 in the fast overtaking lane...  And it's pretty much all your fault for driving inappropriately slowly on the motorway.

Boogaloo! Lorries having to use middle lane, so what! it slows maniacs down.  :loopy:

On 08/07/2019 at 10:41, PRESLEY said:

I would rather drive at 50-60mph even when speed limits are 70mph. 

Somebody obviously wasn't paying attention on their speed awareness course.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/332890-speed-awareness-courses/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-8251031

24 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Boogaloo! Lorries having to use middle lane, so what! it slows maniacs down.  :loopy:

I drove to Manchester Airport early one morning, steady 50mph over the Woodhead.. I got a convoy of lorries behind me, tailgating , flashing their lights, beeping horns, and when one passed me a nice hand gesture.. lorry drivers maniacs.

If the speeds where managed like the smart motorways are supposed to be managed then it could be a good thing. The only problem is that people ignore the variable speed limits and create the congestion further along. There is no point in doing 70 mph if you are going to be stood for 5-10 minutes at the M1 roundabout.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Somebody obviously wasn't paying attention on their speed awareness course.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/332890-speed-awareness-courses/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-8251031

Ive never been on a course because I dont speed. I was told it was boring and went on for hours.  Serves speeders right. :suspect:

On 06/07/2019 at 10:47, kevvy said:

Totally agree !

Like the one I've mentioned on Herries Road & Penistone Road junction.Totally  unnecessary.

On 05/07/2019 at 17:45, iansheff said:

Just reading in the Star that there is to be a consultation on reducing the speed limit from Handsworth to the Motorway from 70mph to 50mph with the aim to cut pollution.  I feel it should be left at 70mph, there aren't a lot of buildings on that stretch, what do others think?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/speed-limit-on-sheffield-parkway-set-to-be-cut-423666

To return to the topic in question, the consultation is now open by Rotherham Council. They're are also other proposals included in the scheme including:

• Support to enable bus companies to introduce cleaner buses operating on Rawmarsh Hill and Fitzwilliam Road;
  • Diversion of some buses away from Rawmarsh Hill onto Barbers Avenue
  • A ban on HGV vehicles travelling northbound on Wortley Road and Upper Wortley Road towards the M1
  • Financial support for taxi drivers, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and light goods vehicle (LGV) drivers to change their vehicles to less polluting ones
  • A 50mph speed limit on the Sheffield Parkway, as part of a scheme to reduce congestion at junction 33 of the M1

You can have your say in the consultation at - https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/forms/form/1210/en/clean_air_zone_public_consultation_2019

15 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A dual carriageway with central reservation should be 70mph. I've safely driven at the 70 limit on that road on and off for years and years. If they change it to 50mph for "environmental" reasons, I'll probably just continue to safely use it at 70mph.

But is it worth the risk-points on your license for 3 years, and your insurance premiums being affected for 5 years.

Edited by Janus

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Ive never been on a course because I dont speed. I was told it was boring and went on for hours.  Serves speeders right. :suspect:

Its a speed awareness course, not just an "exceeding the speed" course.

You might be acting all smug, but there's just as much chance of you going on one!

Driving below the speed limit can land you a huge fine

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/driving-below-the-speed-limit-can-land-you-a-huge-fine

However, driving too slowly is an offence, coming under the scope of ‘inconsiderate driving’.

This is defined as driving a vehicle on a road or in a public place without reasonable consideration for other people. In order to prove that you're guilty of this offence, prosecutors must show that another driver was actually inconvenienced by your driving.

A slow moving vehicle on a fast road can be considered an unexpected hazard for other motorists, who may not be expecting you to travel so slowly.

If they have to brake hard, swerve or take evasive action as a result of you dawdling, then there’s a very strong argument that your driving is in breach of the law.

33 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Its a speed awareness course, not just an "exceeding the speed" course.

You might be acting all smug, but there's just as much chance of you going on one!

Driving below the speed limit can land you a huge fine

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/driving-below-the-speed-limit-can-land-you-a-huge-fine

I dont impede traffic.  On a 30 zone I drive at that speed same on a 40 zone I drive at 40.  On a Motorway 50-60.  Pick the bones out of that! :roll:

3 hours ago, Seorch UK said:

The only problem is that people ignore the variable speed limits and create the congestion further along. 

Do you have any evidence for that?

I do a lot of motorway driving and the variable speed limits have made a huge difference in reducing congestion. And it only takes 50-60% of drivers to adhere to the variable limit and then everyone has to comply, as it then becomes impossible to speed!