Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

Just reading in the Star that there is to be a consultation on reducing the speed limit from Handsworth to the Motorway from 70mph to 50mph with the aim to cut pollution.  I feel it should be left at 70mph, there aren't a lot of buildings on that stretch, what do others think?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/speed-limit-on-sheffield-parkway-set-to-be-cut-423666

There was a piece on Look North the other day about air quality in Sheffield so this could be just a PR exercise.

I personally don’t have a problem with it as most of the time the average speed on that stretch is less than 50mph.

Is this

http://bit.ly/0114air

I've seen that advertised on the matrix signs.

Hmm, no, this seems to be about a congestion zone with charging for everything except private vehicles (that will come in phase 2).

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There was a piece on Look North the other day about air quality in Sheffield so this could be just a PR exercise.

I personally don’t have a problem with it as most of the time the average speed on that stretch is less than 50mph.

Depends on when you use it, outside rush hour it's normally possible to do 70.

18 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Depends on when you use it, outside rush hour it's normally possible to do 70.

Depends on how good your car is soaking up the bumps from the appalling road surface I guess.

I don't think many people travel on this section at 70 and the ones who do still will so whats the point?

13 hours ago, iansheff said:

Just reading in the Star that there is to be a consultation on reducing the speed limit from Handsworth to the Motorway from 70mph to 50mph with the aim to cut pollution.  I feel it should be left at 70mph, there aren't a lot of buildings on that stretch, what do others think?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/speed-limit-on-sheffield-parkway-set-to-be-cut-423666

I use the parkway on a regular basis. The whole road is 70 mph to most people. I use my cruise control and set it for 50 and there are always cars tearing past me. There should be safety cameras on the parkway. 

If tbe council wants to cut traffic pollution, I suggest they look at the way traffic lights hold up massive queues, and do not stay on green for long enough when there is a big queue. They are supposedly monitored....

10 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I don't think many people travel on this section at 70 and the ones who do still will so whats the point?

What would be the point of travelling at 60, or 50, or 30, or 10?  I travel at 70 if it's safe to do so because generally I'm on my way somewhere and there's no advantage to driving slower and taking longer.

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

If the council wants to cut traffic pollution, I suggest they look at the way traffic lights hold up massive queues, and do not stay on green for long enough when there is a big queue. They are supposedly monitored....

You beat me to it, as someone who walks regularly along penistone road breathing all the crap from vehicles just ticking over and crawling  that short bit of parkways  speed reduction is just an irrelevant pitiful misguided exercise in my opinion. One of the few Sheffield arterial roads that still works to some degree having bridges over crossing roads

How much does reducing the cruising speed of cars reduce the NOx and particulates anyway, i thought the were mainly caused by ticking over and accelerating?

If we can give loads of taxpayers money to foreign firms to build wind farms to reduce climate change then why can't it be spent on uk firms to build road bridges/ underpasses to reduce a more immediate health effecting issue.

2 hours ago, smithy266 said:

If tbe council wants to cut traffic pollution, I suggest they look at the way traffic lights hold up massive queues, and do not stay on green for long enough when there is a big queue. They are supposedly monitored....

Totally agree !

3 hours ago, Lnzab29 said:

There should be safety cameras on the parkway. 

There are.