Advice - Relocating To Sheffield

I wouldn't like to commute from Sheffield to either Bradford or Nottingham each day.

I'd be having another rethink if I was you.

Good luck anyway.

2 hours ago, ez8004 said:

What kind of advise is that?!

You have no idea what the jobs are for a start. In fact, You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The first job could be a great additional to furnish their CV with which would give them a far great chance of getting the job they want later for example. 

It is basically a terrible commute for both people involved and whilst they might make it worse, I think it's good advice to seriously consider their options.  Perhaps it's a good stepping stone, perhaps the Sheffield job is a pipe dream and several years of commuting will leave them both hating life.

I do kind of like the factual disputes which can be solved by just looking up the numbers;

Average Salary in Derby, England: Derbyshire, United Kingdom

£25,111

And

Average Salary in Sheffield, England: Sheffield, United Kingdom

£23,546

So, yeah, there's a difference, but it really isn't that much.

A distribution graph of salaries would be even more interesting, and some absolute numbers alongside that.

And from the guardian

Derby North 327 22855
Derby South 328 18634

Sheffield Central 396 18900
Sheffield South East 958 18673
Sheffield, Brightside and Hillsborough 959 15957
Sheffield, Hallam 397 28762
Sheffield, Heeley 398 19259

That's median income (and some kind of code that we can ignore).

And this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43729508

Singles out Derby

A notable exception to this pattern is Derby, which despite being in the top 10 for wages (£595 a week) has relatively low house prices.

Fascinating, right.  Sheffield btw on that scale £474/week on average.

On 06/07/2019 at 08:26, Cyclone said:

I don't think that applies when you're looking at the villages as far out as Aston to be honest.  Which to my understanding is nice enough.

Even nicer and in the same kind of vicinity, Harthill, Todwick, Ulley, maybe Whiston.  All good access to the M1.

Have you checked what the commute is like on the motorway to Nottingham though, I've done it before and my assessment would be dreadful.

It's a pretty awkward position you've got there if you both have to be in the office 5 days/week, Bradford and Nottingham, ouch.

I agree with this. I have had work colleagues live the the above recommended area of Sheffield and its a nightmare to get anywhere even in in Sheffield never mind out of it. Hubby and I have travelled for jobs, he has traveled by train as well as car. Its better the live near the M1 junction 33 to 30. You get better access to trains from Retford and Doncaster than you do from Sheffield. 

We were both used to driving for a living so it didn't bother us so much. I wouldn't be so keen to commute if I had to be in the office 9-5 though. I try and travel before it gets too busy.

On 05/07/2019 at 17:12, lil-minx92 said:

I'll get some stick for this but the M1 side of the city is not where the areas it sounds like you are looking for are sited. Generally- this has been said many times - if you look at the city on a map, the area between 7&10 o'clock houses the most desirable postcodes- S10,S11,S17 and close to. This is generally seen as where the 'professionals' live. Unfortunately for you, its the opposite side of town for the M1 & getting to & from the M1 at rush hour from the western suburbs isn't much fun, although I did it for a few years and you kind of get used to it.

The areas you have mentioned are OK,  but I wouldn't class them as suburbs of Sheffield and it might be pushing it to say they were 'middle class'.

This is spot on - if you want to live among other professionals and have good schools close by you need to look at the postcodes quoted above, plus some parts of S7 (Netheredge) and S8 (Meersbrook).  Check out the ofsted reports, most of the secondary schools in the North of Sheffield don't have their own Sixth Form.  

6 hours ago, Hogg said:

This is spot on - if you want to live among other professionals and have good schools close by you need to look at the postcodes quoted above, plus some parts of S7 (Netheredge) and S8 (Meersbrook).  Check out the ofsted reports, most of the secondary schools in the North of Sheffield don't have their own Sixth Form.  

This sums it up to be honest. If you want to live amongst middle-class professionals (ducks to avoid thrown bricks) you're looking at most, if not all, of S10, S11, S17, parts of S8 (Meersbrook, Beauchief) and S7 (Millhouses, most of Nether Edge).

It seems a lot of people posting here haven't lived on the Rotherham side of the M1 or compared road or train travel. If you don't need good road or train access and work locally then I suppose it doesn't matter. As your post says you need to commute I would not entertain the 'clock face' suggestions. I have considered  houses from Retford to Barnsley along the A1 and M1 and out past Doncaster on the M18  when looking  to move house  but would never consider the 'clock face'  areas on the basis of needing to travel regularly for business meetings. 

1 hour ago, Chez2 said:

It seems a lot of people posting here haven't lived on the Rotherham side of the M1 or compared road or train travel. If you don't need good road or train access and work locally then I suppose it doesn't matter. As your post says you need to commute I would not entertain the 'clock face' suggestions. I have considered  houses from Retford to Barnsley along the A1 and M1 and out past Doncaster on the M18  when looking  to move house  but would never consider the 'clock face'  areas on the basis of needing to travel regularly for business meetings. 

Which is kind of what's been said. If they need to commute using the motorway they will have to put up with a hell of a commute from the 'clock face' areas, or accept they wont find the sort of area they want near the M1, but enjoy a shorter commute.

Simples!

Edited by lil-minx92
to add simples

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Which is kind of what's been said. If they need to commute using the motorway they will have to put up with a hell of a commute from the 'clock face' areas, or accept they wont find the sort of area they want near the M1, but enjoy a shorter commute.

Simples!

....but they will find the area they want, that's what I'm saying. There are suitable areas outside of the 'clock face' areas that have been suggested.  

My advise... don't, the entire city is a building site at the moment, and will probably remain so for the foreseeable as various projects and builds loose funding and get put on hold!

If I had the opportunity to move out of Sheffield, i'd do it pretty much instantly imho!

I have just been from Worksop out to junction 30 of the M1 today and seen how they are getting on with those houses up there. I don't have knowledge of schools in that area but other than that its an ideal location for commuting. They are building 3, 4 and 5 bedroom houses. 

http://www.jones-homes.co.uk/new-homes/clowne/219/van_dyk_village/overview

On 26/07/2019 at 18:46, Chez2 said:

I have just been from Worksop out to junction 30 of the M1 today and seen how they are getting on with those houses up there. I don't have knowledge of schools in that area but other than that its an ideal location for commuting. They are building 3, 4 and 5 bedroom houses. 

http://www.jones-homes.co.uk/new-homes/clowne/219/varn_dyk_village/overview

It’s ideal with a few houses going up now, but I understand there’s going to be 1800 going up in that locale and, as 99% of new residents will be commuters, some of those junctions are going to get pretty busy.