Advice - Relocating To Sheffield

Hi all

My partner has gotten a new job at Bradford University (hoping to get a job at Sheffield University in a couple of years) We currently live in Derby and I work in Nottingham City. We need to move north and feel that a suburb of Sheffield city would be a good mid point (Bradford/Notts)

However we have absolutely no idea what each area is like so if anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

We are both professionals and would probably be considered definitely middle class. We currently live in a good quality, quiet suburb of Derby and our son attends a fantastic primary school which feeds into an outstanding 'top 3' secondary school in Derby. We are wanting a similar living experience in Sheffield. Also across the side of the city which the M1 is on as we will both be using that each day to travel to work. So far I've done some reading around sothall, Beighton, Wales, Aston etc but would really love the opinions of people who actually live in Sheffield.

Many thanks

I'll get some stick for this but the M1 side of the city is not where the areas it sounds like you are looking for are sited. Generally- this has been said many times - if you look at the city on a map, the area between 7&10 o'clock houses the most desirable postcodes- S10,S11,S17 and close to. This is generally seen as where the 'professionals' live. Unfortunately for you, its the opposite side of town for the M1 & getting to & from the M1 at rush hour from the western suburbs isn't much fun, although I did it for a few years and you kind of get used to it.

The areas you have mentioned are OK,  but I wouldn't class them as suburbs of Sheffield and it might be pushing it to say they were 'middle class'.

I don't think that applies when you're looking at the villages as far out as Aston to be honest.  Which to my understanding is nice enough.

Even nicer and in the same kind of vicinity, Harthill, Todwick, Ulley, maybe Whiston.  All good access to the M1.

Have you checked what the commute is like on the motorway to Nottingham though, I've done it before and my assessment would be dreadful.

It's a pretty awkward position you've got there if you both have to be in the office 5 days/week, Bradford and Nottingham, ouch.

15 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I'll get some stick for this but the M1 side of the city is not where the areas it sounds like you are looking for are sited. Generally- this has been said many times - if you look at the city on a map, the area between 7&10 o'clock houses the most desirable postcodes- S10,S11,S17 and close to. This is generally seen as where the 'professionals' live. Unfortunately for you, its the opposite side of town for the M1 & getting to & from the M1 at rush hour from the western suburbs isn't much fun, although I did it for a few years and you kind of get used to it.

The areas you have mentioned are OK,  but I wouldn't class them as suburbs of Sheffield and it might be pushing it to say they were 'middle class'.

I agree with the idea behind what you say, but I think looking at Sheffield as a  clock face from 6 to 10 o'clock would be a better guide for the middle class areas.

On 05/07/2019 at 10:38, Icklepoyser said:

Hi all

My partner has gotten a new job at Bradford University (hoping to get a job at Sheffield University in a couple of years) We currently live in Derby and I work in Nottingham City. We need to move north and feel that a suburb of Sheffield city would be a good mid point (Bradford/Notts)

However we have absolutely no idea what each area is like so if anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

We are both professionals and would probably be considered definitely middle class. We currently live in a good quality, quiet suburb of Derby and our son attends a fantastic primary school which feeds into an outstanding 'top 3' secondary school in Derby. We are wanting a similar living experience in Sheffield. Also across the side of the city which the M1 is on as we will both be using that each day to travel to work. So far I've done some reading around sothall, Beighton, Wales, Aston etc but would really love the opinions of people who actually live in Sheffield.

Many thanks

I definitely think Derby is a more pleasant city than Sheffield. Also but arguably far more critically, you get far better value in property in Derby than Sheffield. I never quite understood this as the average salary in Derby is far higher than Sheffield. 

I am am going to hazard a guess that you currently live in the Eccelsbourne catchment area such as Allestree or Darley Abbey. These are very nice places to start with and it will be quite a challenge to find something similar in Sheffield. 

The 'good schools' and more affluent areas are generally on the West side of the city, the South West corner mainly. That's the key thing that drives the house prices up.  The M1 is on the East side, where houses are cheaper and there are also the various urban and rural bits of Rotherham,  N Derbyshire and N Notts.

So you have to decide which thing is more important to you.  Personally I'd find an area you really want to live in and worry about the commuting afterwards. The commute will be a pain whatever you do by the sounds of it.

On 06/07/2019 at 08:26, Cyclone said:

I don't think that applies when you're looking at the villages as far out as Aston to be honest.  Which to my understanding is nice enough.

Even nicer and in the same kind of vicinity, Harthill, Todwick, Ulley, maybe Whiston.  All good access to the M1.

Have you checked what the commute is like on the motorway to Nottingham though, I've done it before and my assessment would be dreadful.

It's a pretty awkward position you've got there if you both have to be in the office 5 days/week, Bradford and Nottingham, ouch.

Its also a hellish drive to Bradford using both the M1 and M62. Probably better off buying in Leeds and training it to Nottingham! 

6 hours ago, ez8004 said:

I definitely think Derby is a more pleasant city than Sheffield. Also but arguably far more critically, you get far better value in property in Derby than Sheffield. I never quite understood this as the average salary in Derby is far higher than Sheffield. 

I am am going to hazard a guess that you currently live in the Eccelsbourne catchment area such as Allestree or Darley Abbey. These are very nice places to start with and it will be quite a challenge to find something similar in Sheffield

Of course it wont. Prices might be higher though. 

As Sheffield has twice the population of Derby, although the average wage is lower, there will be more people earning above the average wage than in Derby- probably the reason for the (alleged) higher house prices in the better areas.

On 05/07/2019 at 10:38, Icklepoyser said:

My partner has gotten a new job at Bradford University (hoping to get a job at Sheffield University in a couple of years)...

I would probably turn that first job down and deliberately wait until the second offer happens before relocating... those commutes will take their toll.

53 minutes ago, Hippogriff said:

I would probably turn that first job down and deliberately wait until the second offer happens before relocating... those commutes will take their toll.

What kind of advise is that?!

You have no idea what the jobs are for a start. In fact, You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The first job could be a great additional to furnish their CV with which would give them a far great chance of getting the job they want later for example. 

4 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Of course it wont. Prices might be higher though. 

As Sheffield has twice the population of Derby, although the average wage is lower, there will be more people earning above the average wage than in Derby- probably the reason for the (alleged) higher house prices in the better areas.

Really, with what industry in Sheffield that would support your statement? The steel industry? Pull the other one. 

Derby has an a average wage of 25% more than Sheffield. The population size of Sheffield is no where near able to make up for that in absolute terms. 

The reason house prices in Sheffield are higher is probably because the demand outstrips supply. 

26 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Really, with what industry in Sheffield that would support your statement? The steel industry? Pull the other one. 

Derby has an a average wage of 25% more than Sheffield. The population size of Sheffield is no where near able to make up for that in absolute terms. 

The reason house prices in Sheffield are higher is probably because the demand outstrips supply. 

Twice the population means there is likely to be a lot more high earners-its not rocket science.  There isnt really a dominant industry in Sheffield in which all the high earners work (is there one in Derby?), but there are a lot of well paid engineering jobs, and two big universities, teaching hospitals etc employing thousands of professionals

What I suspect pulls Sheffield down in the average earnings listings is the large number of unemployed. It is often said Sheffield is a city of two halves - the haves' and the have nots - broadly split between east and west with not much in-between. I think the Sheffield Hallam ward has the highest concentration of high earners in the country outside of London.

If you dont think Sheffield has any areas that rival nice areas of Derby its because you haven't seen them! And yes I know Derby fairly well.

Anyway..we digress!