Are Some People So Obsessed With Pc They Lose Their Sense Of Humour

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Can I see the results of the study you have conducted which demonstrates that "most" people" share the same view as you as to what is funny or not?

It's an observation. Look around you. How many comedians these days use lazy racial stereotypes in their acts?

On 05/07/2019 at 09:14, Darkwitch14 said:

I was bought up in a family where a good old laugh & some cracking Banter was a daily thing . I love having a good old belly laugh but I seriously think nowadays ,some folk have lost their sense of humour . The PC brigade are doing my nut in .,they take things so seriously by far . A simple thing ,which people with a sense of humour would find funny ,has these people ringing their hands , proper scared of offending .  What a shame that is 

You have ruffled a few feathers on this thread.  We have even got them bragging about their bans, who has had the most and the length of time.  

I do agree with you about PC, it does my nut in at times.

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

It's an observation. Look around you. How many comedians these days use lazy racial stereotypes in their acts?

Ok. Sorry it seemed like you were using "most people" to demonstrate that your own personally held opinion represented countless others without the  evidence to back it up. 

. Although if you only stick to comedians you find funny then you aren't going to know what other jokes are being told elsewhere

21 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What did I say that was offensive? Genuinely mystified.

I'm well aware that society is changing and some 'jokes' are no longer acceptable. What I can't get my head around is that some folk - the OP for one - seem to be mourning the fact that jokes based on cheap racial stereotypes are no longer Ok.

You were dismissive and rude.  You do it quite a lot.

However I don't want this to turn into an attack on you.

The cheap lazy stereotype was one example of a joke.

However, even here we have an unspoken nuance.  I could absolutely make a joke on TV about some stereotypes, the Spanish being so lazy that they need to take a nap in the afternoon, the French  being arrogant or the Americans being fat.

I wouldn't be able to make a joke about a non-white racial prejudice. It isn't a thing about hitting up or down because i couldn't make a joke about a Japanese person.

Now to be clear, I would need a list of "things thag annoy me"  several pages long for this to make an appearance, but the OP presents a valid point.

You are getting deliberately hung up on one example.

Racists jokes can be funny.

3 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

You were dismissive and rude.  You do it quite a lot.

I prefer to characterise it as blunt and plain speaking.

Racists jokes can be funny.

Ok, you've left yourself wide open there haven't you? Tell me a funny racist joke and I'll completely honestly tell you if I think it's funny.

6 minutes ago, Halibut said:

And remember Halibuts opinion represents that of the country and only he determines what is funny or not

There are black and Asian comedians who make jokes about race, usually their own, there are female comedians who use sexist material and LGBQT comedians who use what would be considered homophobic material because they can all get away with it, there seems to be an obsession these days about race and gender particularly, but woe betide those nasty straight white men using stereotypical material about other groups in their comedy eh …. it's a good job some of us can still laugh at ourselves, I pity those with little or no sense of humour, a serious life is often a sad, bitter, grumpy life !

The personal comments can stop now. Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Also, if you want to talk about bans, do so at the Helpdesk, not on a thread.

Thank you.

Can anyone point out who exactly is stopping people making jokes?

There was a play on the radio last week about the first staging of George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion. The producers had to get the Lord Chancellor’s permission to use the word ‘bloody’ on a theatre stage. Has there been legislation passed that I have missed? Has the Home Office issued guidelines on what jokes can and can’t be made?

Because every time someone starts a “boo hoo, I’m not being allowed to say this or that” thread, they never quite get round to saying who exactly is not allowing them.

Maybe we should be told! 😳

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Tell me a funny racist joke.

What do you call an Irishman wearing a bulletproof vest ?

Rick o Shea.

🤣

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

There are black and Asian comedians who make jokes about race, usually their own, there are female comedians who use sexist material and LGBQT comedians who use what would be considered homophobic material because they can all get away with it, there seems to be an obsession these days about race and gender particularly, but woe betide those nasty straight white men using stereotypical material about other groups in their comedy eh …. it's a good job some of us can still laugh at ourselves, I pity those with little or no sense of humour, a serious life is often a sad, bitter, grumpy life !

Pretty sure you've just made that one up.

I find it hilarious when people who don't realise they are being funny , come out with something and it has you crying laughing .They ask you what's funny & that makes you worse . They they then realise what they said & end up crying laughing too 

Edited by Darkwitch14
Missed a word out