Are Some People So Obsessed With Pc They Lose Their Sense Of Humour

I remember seeing the comedy Roast of Joan Rivers a few years ago on which a female comedian said: "Joan Rivers' vagina is so old it has a separate entrance for black guys." Some people may find that offensive whilst some may find it a witty reference to the days of apartheid.

38 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Seriously? How about 'black people have thick lips and frizzy hair'?

People call me a bald headed old git, do I mind, not in the least.

Snobbery is a lot to do with all this; Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson never did jokes about incontinence but it was ok for David Walliams on the BBC in the 2000's?!  

46 minutes ago, Halibut said:

No, doesn't work - I said 'a funny joke'. That's just a cheap racial stereotype. Did it make you laugh?

This Canadian comedian does it all the time and people love it.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

Snobbery is a lot to do with all this; Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson never did jokes about incontinence but it was ok for David Walliams on the BBC in the 2000's?!  

Your surely not claiming  Manning & Davidson never telling jokes about incontinence is somehow evidence that they had standards?

And although people find different things funny these days, there is some humour from the 1970s that I think is still very funny - Monty Python, Steptoe and Son and Rising Damp  being 3 good examples. 

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

Yeah - one of them's funny, the others just a grubby little fat man airing his prejudices like it's still the 70's.

You're awful, body shaming bully.

Or just classic Hypocrite Halibut.

51 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Your surely not claiming  Manning & Davidson never telling jokes about incontinence is somehow evidence that they had standards?

And although people find different things funny these days, there is some humour from the 1970s that I think is still very funny - Monty Python, Steptoe and Son and Rising Damp  being 3 good examples. 

Comedy is what makes people laugh, some of it may be racist, sexist or offensive in some other manner but it's meant to be taken as what it is, 'comedy', not everyone has the same taste in humour obviously, but that's just like everything else considered to be entertaining some you like some you don't and each to their own. Interesting you mention Rising Damp, because it describes the landlord Rigsby as racist on IMDB...... IMDB Rising Damp but even you accept it was funny and I agree !

2 hours ago, Nightbird said:

There is nothing worse than being lectured to by morally superior goody goodies about what you're supposed to find funny and not.

Absolutely. 

So, if you could find the time to stop lecturing us about what we should and shouldn’t accept as comedy, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

Absolutely. 

So, if you could find the time to stop lecturing us about what we should and shouldn’t accept as comedy, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

What an odd comment!

1 minute ago, Nightbird said:

What an odd comment!

Not at all.

If the meaning of it is too difficult for you to fathom, you should think about sticking to “I’m Bored”.

7 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Why on earth would you assume that?

So witch says "Can't believe people get so offended these days by jokes"

You say "give me an example"

Witch says "I can't because I might get banned".

How does this do anything other than support her original claim?

It takes quite a lot to get you banned, you won't get banned for being outright racist, so I can't imagine a joke so tasteless that it would get you banned.

11 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Comedy is what makes people laugh, some of it may be racist, sexist or offensive in some other manner but it's meant to be taken as what it is, 'comedy', not everyone has the same taste in humour obviously, but that's just like everything else considered to be entertaining some you like some you don't and each to their own. Interesting you mention Rising Damp, because it describes the landlord Rigsby as racist on IMDB...... IMDB Rising Damp but even you accept it was funny and I agree !

Well part of what made Rising Damp funny is the stupidity of the racist Rigsby, so you're not laughing with him, but at him. Contrast that with Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson that played to people's worst instincts.