Are Some People So Obsessed With Pc They Lose Their Sense Of Humour

I was bought up in a family where a good old laugh & some cracking Banter was a daily thing . I love having a good old belly laugh but I seriously think nowadays ,some folk have lost their sense of humour . The PC brigade are doing my nut in .,they take things so seriously by far . A simple thing ,which people with a sense of humour would find funny ,has these people ringing their hands , proper scared of offending .  What a shame that is 

Edited by nikki-red

Are you not going to share what the simple thing was?  It's going to be something offensive obviously, was it a racist joke?  Or maybe a joke about disability, or gay people?  Perhaps a joke about some other minority?

I think it's still okay to laugh at gingers though right?  Tim Minchin did a funny song about it.

You should watch this, it's hilarious.

21 minutes ago, Darkwitch14 said:

I was bought up in a family where a good old laugh & some cracking Banter was a daily thing . I love having a good old belly laugh but I seriously think nowadays ,some folk have lost their sense of humour . The PC brigade are doing my nut in .,they take things so seriously by far . A simple thing ,which people with a sense of humour would find funny ,has these people ringing their hands , proper scared of offending .  What a shame that is 

Give us an example then - of a funny joke that would offend the PC brigade.

I think people who have been the butt of other's jokes whether it be because they are disabled, LGBT or from a diffrent ethnic origin, at some point decided that being the object of ther's derision isn't funny.

Humour, and beig the object of other's jokes is an individual thing, it can depend on context and the intent behind the joke.

Unfortunately, in many instances banter turned into  bullying - and there's nothing funny about that.

There's a weird contradiction about making a post wringing your hands and being upset by a supposed PC brigade who are upset and wring their hands about offensive jokes.

Candidly, I don't know what the fuss is.  A joke is a joke.  People complaining about anti-PC are blowing the PC thing out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Darkwitch14 said:

But surely as a nurse you should be aware of others feelings,  have the ability to show empathy, as well as understand the wider context in which so called 'banter' takes place?

Edited by Mister M

Hmmm... :huh:

... well contrary to popular belief, it is impossible to 'lose' your sense of humour.

Unlike your mobile phone or your designer sunglasses your sense of humour is not a physical entity and so cannot inadvertently be left on the 120 bus or fall from your person into Oblivion at Alton Towers (other theme parks are available).

Your sense of humour is an intangible asset that we all have, but very few of us are able to utilise to its full potential.

It is often suppressed by our more aggressive and yet strangely more socially acceptable assets of faux compassion for others and empathetic rage, but it is never 'lost' but merely lurking within our psyche for the opportunity to express itself... :)

Edited by Mr Bloke

Some people just don't have a sense of humour full stop

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

But surely as a nurse you should be aware of others feelings,  have the ability to show empathy, as well as understand the wider context in which so called 'banter' takes place?

Oh Mister M , I have Empathy in bucket loads . But I have had a proper Banter with some of our patients , we have been in hysterics & they said the laugh made them whole lot better 

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... well contrary to popular belief, it is impossible to 'lose' your sense of humour.

Unlike your mobile phone or your designer sunglasses your sense of humour is not a physical entity and so cannot inadvertently be left on the 120 bus or fall from your person into Oblivion at Alton Towers (other theme parks are available).

Your sense of humour is an intangible asset that we all have, but very few of us are able to utilise to its full potential.

It is often suppressed by our more aggressive and yet strangely more socially acceptable assets of faux compassion for others and empathetic rage, but it is never 'lost' but merely lurking within our psyche for the opportunity to express itself... :)

Mr Bloke , it was a figure of speech mate . But your view is DEEP but interesting 

Being able to banter with some patients doesn't mean that something can't be offensive to others though.

We're still missing the example though...  What kind of thing is it that someone who is too PC doesn't find funny, but should?

3 hours ago, Darkwitch14 said:

A simple thing ,which people with a sense of humour would find funny ,

Really?

I have wicked sense of humour but have never found offensive jokes funny.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

Give us an example then - of a funny joke that would offend the PC brigade.

Oh Halibut I can't possibly do that , I don't want to get chucked off when I only joined yesterday .