Do You Put Gravy On Your Chips?

Southerner's don't, so is it just a Northern thing? 

7 minutes ago, poppet2 said:

Southerner's don't, so is it just a Northern thing? 

In Canada we put gravy on and cheese curds too, it's called Poutine. Look it up, it's really good. Regarding your question though, when I lived over there I loved gravy, curry or just about anything on my chips, fried eggs, beans  and of course malt vinegar.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Yuck, I can't think of anything worse on chips than gravy, mushy peas or salt and vinegar every time...

Down South, you wouldn't even have a choice, let alone Gravy. 

1 hour ago, poppet2 said:

Down South, you wouldn't even have a choice, let alone Gravy. 

It's quite common over here in a bar or restaurant if you order chips with your meal  for the waiter to say "would you like gravy on the fries?"

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:25, Ontarian1981 said:

/British In Canada we put gravy on and cheese curds too, it's called Poutine. Look it up, it's really good. Regarding your question though, when I lived over there I loved gravy, curry or just about anything on my chips, fried eggs, beans  and of course malt vinegar.

10 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

It's quite common over here in a bar or restaurant if you order chips with your meal  for the waiter to say "would you like gravy on the fries?"

Gravy (especially onion) goes with any English/British style meal, except fish and chips and breakfasts.

Edited by St Petre
Add

On 06/07/2019 at 17:00, Ontarian1981 said:

There's a new Poutine restaurant at the Cutlery Works in Neepsend. It's called Gravy Train I think. Haven't tried it yet though.

1 hour ago, Stanleybobs said:

There's a new Poutine restaurant at the Cutlery Works in Neepsend. It's called Gravy Train I think. Haven't tried it yet though.

Give it a go, ,if they get the flavour of the gravy right and put cheese curds in it, as opposed to grated , you will like it, I'm sure.They did a show about rating  Canadian inventions and Poutine was not far behind, Insulin, the Telephone and theSpace Arm. Lol

Surely it depends what you're having with your chips?  I don't imagine that  a meaty gravy would go very well with fish, chips and mushy peas,  but if you are having just a portion of chips, or a pie and chips, gravy would be a good accompaniment. I was born and grew up in Sheffield, but I've lived and worked in London for the past 40 years. They definitely don't do chips and gravy in the chip-shops down here, but they all do chips with chip-shop curry sauce - which many Londoners love to eat.  

Gravy is fine with a pasty or meat and potato pie and chips - the Harlequin on Howard Street used to do that brilliantly - 45 years ago!