Do You Think The Food Allergies Today Is Caused By Junk Food ?

I am sure we didn't have the food allergies people  have today back when we were young . In my opinion ,it is down to all the junk some eat . I think most junk food contains no nutritional value at all . What do you think ? 

Edited by nikki-red

I think a lot of allergies are attributed to this obsession people have with killing 99.9% of germs...a sterile environment is unhealthy.

Growing up with never being ill is not healthy, it screws up your immune system, and the immune system being off balance is what causes allergies.

19 minutes ago, Darkwitch14 said:

I am sure we didn't have the food allergies people  have today back when we were young . In my opinion ,it is down to all the junk some eat . I think most junk food contains no nutritional value at all . What do you think ? 

Of course you would have had food allergies when you were young you just would not have known about it or done anything about it.

Back in those days if someone had a gripy belly or excessive wind after consuming dairy products or gluten or wheat nobody would have thought about food intolerance they will have just thought it was a gripey  belly and wind and told you to man up.

Awareness and acceptance has been the big change over the years as has the increasing provision of alternatives.  As time goes on those are only getting better and better and people with such intolerances are starting to be able to eat with other people without the stigma and fuss they used to have.

Whilst it is clear that junk food is not healthy at all and people need to be conscious of that, I don't really see any link between junk food itself and food intolerance.    

Surely if someone is allergic to say wheat or gluten it wouldn't matter whether it was a piece of healthy brown bread or a unhealthy burger bun.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

There is a lot of information out there that vaccines are a cause.

I am sure there are other reasons too.

Allergies are linked to kids not having enough exposure to dirt and germs. We need good bacteria in our gut as well which junk food won’t provide. Basically kids should play outside, get dirty sometimes and eat real food with lots of fruit veg and fibre (and nuts!). Eating processed rubbish now and again is OK but we shouldn’t live on it.

1 hour ago, MAC33 said:

Do you have any unbiased, scientific, peer reviewed research that shows that this is the case?  I know that you are desperate to push this as your agenda, but as I said on the other thread, I'm not prepared for you to peddle this with no proof on this forum.

Please do show which journals you have used in forming your opinion.

If you can't show decent research as evidence to back up your opinion, it will be removed.

If you persist in posting this with no proof then I'll suspend your account until you recognise that we have the right to refuse to host any topic as we see fit.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Of course you would have had food allergies when you were young you just would not have known about it or done anything about it.

Back in those days if someone had a gripy belly or excessive wind after consuming dairy products or gluten or wheat nobody would have thought about food intolerance they will have just thought it was a gripey  belly and wind and told you to man up.

Awareness and acceptance has been the big change over the years as has the increasing provision of alternatives.  As time goes on those are only getting better and better and people with such intolerances are starting to be able to eat with other people without the stigma and fuss they used to have.

Whilst it is clear that junk food is not healthy at all and people need to be conscious of that, I don't really see any link between junk food itself and food intolerance.    

Surely if someone is allergic to say wheat or gluten it wouldn't matter whether it was a piece of healthy brown bread or a unhealthy burger bun.  

There was always that one, " must have been that dodgy pie"  Lol

25 minutes ago, redruby said:

Allergies are linked to kids not having enough exposure to dirt and germs. We need good bacteria in our gut as well which junk food won’t provide. Basically kids should play outside, get dirty sometimes and eat real food with lots of fruit veg and fibre (and nuts!). Eating processed rubbish now and again is OK but we shouldn’t live on it.

Exactly right.

2 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I think a lot of allergies are attributed to this obsession people have with killing 99.9% of germs...a sterile environment is unhealthy.

Growing up with never being ill is not healthy, it screws up your immune system, and the immune system being off balance is what causes allergies.

You are correct , this is why healthcare professionals are rarely sick, they are constantly in the presence of germs and sickness.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I agree with much of what you say, but there is a caveat. Selective breeding and food processing have both changed the nature of  our food markedly in the last 50 years.

For example, there has been roughly a 25% increase in the annual amount of gluten consumed by the average person. This comes partly from high gluten wheat and partly from additives. So it is possible that the type of food we eat has contributed to the increase in food allergies. Better diagnosis will also have played a part, as you rightly say.

Of course, we know in basic factual terms what causes an allergy, and what causes anaphylaxis.  Why so many people have intolerances, allergies and anaphylaxis issues is the real question here.

I have intolerances, but I'm lucky enough that none of them have developed further.  My OH has ended up in hospital with his allergies, and so have my father, my brother in law and loads of other people I know, and this sort of allergy is really no joke.

It's really not about whether you've got a gripey belly after eating dairy products or gluten, it's about whether or not your baby has a wide enough airway to actually breathe after being in the same room as someone who has eaten something containing peanuts.

My intolerances make me puke, but that's all.  The response is unpleasant, undignified, but it's not deadly.  As far as I'm concerned this is fundamentally different to those who have the genuinely life threatening allergies and anaphylaxis.  We just can't put the two in the same thought.

4 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

This.

3 hours ago, MAC33 said:

You've confused FUD with information.

1 hour ago, medusa said:

Of course, we know in basic factual terms what causes an allergy, and what causes anaphylaxis.  Why so many people have intolerances, allergies and anaphylaxis issues is the real question here.

I have intolerances, but I'm lucky enough that none of them have developed further.  My OH has ended up in hospital with his allergies, and so have my father, my brother in law and loads of other people I know, and this sort of allergy is really no joke.

It's really not about whether you've got a gripey belly after eating dairy products or gluten, it's about whether or not your baby has a wide enough airway to actually breathe after being in the same room as someone who has eaten something containing peanuts.

My intolerances make me puke, but that's all.  The response is unpleasant, undignified, but it's not deadly.  As far as I'm concerned this is fundamentally different to those who have the genuinely life threatening allergies and anaphylaxis.  We just can't put the two in the same thought.

It's unhelpful to only discuss life threatening responses though, there are increasing diagnosis of people with Coeliacs or (slightly different) gluten intolerance.  There are more diagnosis of people with allergies to all manner of things, with the reaction ranging from mild to severe.

To only discuss the most severe is to ignore the majority of the cases for some reason.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

This.

You've confused FUD with information.

It's unhelpful to only discuss life threatening responses though, there are increasing diagnosis of people with Coeliacs or (slightly different) gluten intolerance.  There are more diagnosis of people with allergies to all manner of things, with the reaction ranging from mild to severe.

To only discuss the most severe is to ignore the majority of the cases for some reason.

Yeah, I have seasonal allergies like grass ,trees, ragweed etc and all year round like dust mites etc.But I have had them since my teens and lived with them. Allergic reactions to drugs can be hairy and scary. I had a reaction to a tetanus shot 20 years ago, now if I have a bad cut I have to show my card to any medic who stitches me up and hope for the best. Yet I had received tetanus shots  in years previously with no reaction. I got wounded quite a bit in my line of work. lol

A study conducted in 2012 and published in 2017 in the Journal of Translational Science compared chronic health problems in vaccinated and unvaccinated 6-to-12-year-olds—in other words, children born between 2000 and 2006. The results lend credence to Fraser’s thinking about vaccination and allergy trends. Among many striking results, the authors found that vaccinated children had a significantly greater odds of having a diagnosed allergic condition compared to unvaccinated children: 10.4% versus 0.4% for allergic rhinitis, 22.2% versus 6.9% for “other” allergies and 9.5% versus 3.6% for eczema and other forms of atopic dermatitis. Other studies also have linked vaccines to atopic conditions and allergic sensitization.

https://worldmercuryproject.org/news/over-vaccinated-children-and-the-allergy-epidemic/

Edited by MAC33