William Hill Plans 700 Store Closures Putting 4,500 Jobs At Risk

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

With old fashioned modern bandits (1980s-now), they work much the same way. They have a percentage payout key, which can be 70-98%.

I knew the percentage payouts of every place in Sheffield. This is defined by the chance of people coming back. So static/long term customers places have high payout percentages, and places like motorway service stations or holiday resorts set far closer to the legal minimum of 70%.

To add to this they also have a game card which determines the level of payouts.

There was one game card, I saw used on Barcrest machines, one called The Guv'nor, which would take money and pay nothing out for ages... then when it reaches a point, it pays out for fun.

This type of game card is used for picking out people who know will come back whether beg or steal.

-

Another game card, was used with things like OXO machines. (basically, 3 reels, either blank, or X or O.

This game card was designed for old people. It would bore a gambler as it just takes the money more slowly, and no big win.

so using my 2 examples:

1. Young person has seen big payouts on one machine, so puts his tenner in it,. and loses it in 2 mins.

2. Old person is guided towards and tea and coffeed to the OXOs. This person only has a tenner, but the sequence is:

- put pound in get 2 back

- put 2 in get 0 back

- put 1 more in get 4 back

- etc. I'm sure you get the picture.

They have tenner and spend 3 hours in there, and have coffee and cake and nice staff and chat with others. So they come back again tomorrow or whenever pension cheque.

They get something for their money! (or so they think!) the machine still has the money, they enjoyed themselves, all happy.

Get rich quick are what FOBT are about.

23 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

With old fashioned modern bandits (1980s-now), they work much the same way. They have a percentage payout key, which can be 70-98%.

In the old days I worked in a bar which had a fruit machine that payed out tokens over a certain amount. These tokens could either be put back into the machine or exchanged for beer at the bar. One of my jobs before we opened, was to put the pint glasses full of tokens back into the machines. This was done by opening a panel at the back of the machine and loading the coin mech with the tokens. One day, the bar manager was away so instead of putting the tokens into the back of the machine I put them into the front and played the machine. I started with about £80 worth of tokens and kept putting any winnings back in until I had nothing left.

I have never played a fruit machine since.

The £2 max bet on fixed odds terminals regulation was completely pointless.

Addicts will just go online for their fix. 

The writing has been on the wall for a long time for betting shops. As the older punters who mainly populate the shops start to die off, the next generation of punters are of the internet age.

You'll hear many more stories quite soon from the other bookmakers closing shops.

I'd doubt there will be any physical betting shops left within the next 10 years or so.

Whats the point of reducing max stake per spin to  2£? It takes 50 spins to burn the 100£.

Its a mugs game.

Only legal and profitable way to get some money out of the bookies is so called "matched betting", which is basically extracting

the cash from bonus/free bets offer from online bookies.

That is also not long term, because bookies will strip you from promotions after some time.

13 hours ago, croat77 said:

Whats the point of reducing max stake per spin to  2£? It takes 50 spins to burn the 100£.

Its a mugs game.

Only legal and profitable way to get some money out of the bookies is so called "matched betting", which is basically extracting

the cash from bonus/free bets offer from online bookies.

That is also not long term, because bookies will strip you from promotions after some time.

I disagree, I have done matched betting but after you have used all of the bookies initial offers, the money you can extract s limited.

I make very good money betting on horses and, more successfully, football.

On 04/07/2019 at 23:35, Eater Sundae said:

How does cartoon horse racing work?  How do they avoid insider betting (by the animators’  friends)? Or is there still some sort of chance outcome built in?

It is based in chance.  A horse prices at 2/1 means that the bookie is saying it will win approximately 1 in 3 times.  As long as the amount of animations in which that horse wins is less than 1 in 3, that "horse" should return a profit.  Repeat this for all horse in the race.

On 10 July 2019 at 08:35, JamesR123 said:

I disagree, I have done matched betting but after you have used all of the bookies initial offers, the money you can extract s limited.

I make very good money betting on horses and, more successfully, football.

It is based in chance.  A horse prices at 2/1 means that the bookie is saying it will win approximately 1 in 3 times.  As long as the amount of animations in which that horse wins is less than 1 in 3, that "horse" should return a profit.  Repeat this for all horse in the race.

Got any tips?

I got 3 out of 4 today on my lucky 15 :) Football won't be bet on until new season

What a load of baloney, William Hill blaming the reduction in the amount spent in the fixed game terminal for potential staff redundancies. 

The fact is they, (& no doubt the other high street bookies), will use the same excuse, while increasing & encouraging the use on of their online gaming services, meaning they can get rid of the physical buildings on which they have to pay business rates & utilities, while at the same time using their offshore HQ's, in favourable tax places like the Channel Islands & Gibraltar to continue to increase profits. 

Go into any High St bookies & as well as the dreaded FOT's, you'll see other gaming machines that you can put as much money into as you like to bet on all the days sporting events from horses to football matches, anywhere in the world with hundreds of betting combinations available.  I know because I generally use them to bet on football matches during our UK season. 

And why you may be asking do I use them rather than walk another 10 feet & put my bet on at the counter with a member of staff?  Simple.  The odds are better on the machine. 

It's been this way for ages.  The staff in betting shops are now an expensive, salary burden on the established High St bookies who are facing competition from the new online bookies. 

As I said.  The FOT argument is just a convenient excuse to get rid of staff. 

Edited by Baron99

They've got quite the image problem as well, I noticed the bookies near my friends place had shut down recently.

It was an absolutely revolting place, even from the outside you could see it was a total dive.

You're not going to temp people into physical shops if they appear rough as guts, they'll just spend money online instead.