Is competitiveness a good thing?

Interesting questions asked on BBC Radio Sheffield just now, mainly on whether it's good to be competitive, should things like sports days have an emphasis on the taking part or should prizes just be awarded to the winners etc? My personality take on it is that a competitive society generally isn't a good thing, I much prefer a helpful one where people complement rather than compete against each other. However, I heard an opinion on the subject a while ago saying that it's important to teach youngsters how to lose and respond well to this as well as win, which I do agree is a good thing to be taught.

Thoughts?

Surely the whole point of sport is that it is competitive? Kids need to learn how to deal with not winning (try harder) and how to win graciously, otherwise when the get out into the world which like it or not is competitive they will not be well equipped to cope.

competition is what makes the world work, with no competition things would never improve. kids should be taught how to lose,  proper sports days are essential to a child's upbringing and so they learn about winning and losing and striving to be better. usually the ones that have had no competition in their lives are failures later on.

Edited by Borista336

26 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Surely the whole point of sport is that it is competitive? Kids need to learn how to deal with not winning (try harder) and how to win graciously, otherwise when the get out into the world which like it or not is competitive they will not be well equipped to cope.

I agree but lets not be like the Americans about it; their winning is everything attitude that they like to outwardly project, masks a collective  psychological weakness they have.

Edited by Nightbird

3 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

I agree but lets not be like the Americans about it; their winning is everything attitude that they like to outwardly project, masks a collective  psychological weakness they have.

winning is everything or else what is the point of taking part??? if you dont strive to win you never will?

Just now, Borista336 said:

winning is everything or else what is the point of taking part??? if you dont strive to win you never will?

Speaking personally, when playing pool, so long as I've had a good enjoyable close game, I'm not bothered when I lose, but I suppose you think I should go away and quietly kill myself for being such a loser?!

18 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Speaking personally, when playing pool, so long as I've had a good enjoyable close game, I'm not bothered when I lose, but I suppose you think I should go away and quietly kill myself for being such a loser?!

no not at all but surely when you play pool you want to win? at the same time if you lose you just accept it and try to be better next time? why would you want to kill yourself.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

Interesting. How do you know this?

winning isn't everything.

i'd like to run the half marathon next year, and the round-run. I won't win either event. nor will thousands of other people.

you can teach kids about targets, and drive, and training, and the hugely positive wide-ranging benefits of regular exercise, without making it all about winning.

Edited by ads36

Comptitiveness creates motivation which is good.  :lol:

I never liked sport, probably because I was no good at it. At school I didn’t give a toss who won a game, race, match  or threw the furthest javelin, shot etc.I didn’t care if I was last in any race or similar activity.  I never wanted to be Victor Ludorum  (Yes, since you ask, I did go to a Grammar school)

I was naturally good at Maths and at school, I would have always preferred double Algebra on a Friday afternoon to double Football/cricket etc.

Each to his/her own !

13 minutes ago, Mossway said:

I never liked sport, probably because I was no good at it. At school I didn’t give a toss who won a game, race, match  or threw the furthest javelin, shot etc.I didn’t care if I was last in any race or similar activity.  I never wanted to be Victor Ludorum  (Yes, since you ask, I did go to a Grammar school)

I was naturally good at Maths and at school, I would have always preferred double Algebra on a Friday afternoon to double Football/cricket etc.

Each to his/her own !

I was rubbish at algebra, just couldn't see the point to it, complete waste of time couldn't see it helping me in the future. :roll: