Rinse Your Milk Bottles Before Putting In Brown Bin. Pyoo

Given that Sky News is this morning reporting that around 1 in 10 people put dirty nappies out with their recyclables, it could be that the 'pyoo' smell is coming from something more obvious.

Seriously, what are people like?

11 hours ago, scousemouse said:

Bottles tins jars I wash them all out and properly not just a rinse, why wouldn't you.?

Better things to do with your time?

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Given that Sky News is this morning reporting that around 1 in 10 people put dirty nappies out with their recyclables, it could be that the 'pyoo' smell is coming from something more obvious.

Well I can assure you in my case its nothing to do with nappies.

Speaking of nappies though, I was disappointed to see nappies left around Hillsborough park during that Owls In The Park event last weekend. There are some horrible people.

10 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I rinse mine out using hot water, which softens the plastic enough to be able to roll it almost flat. If you then run cold water over it, the flattened shape keeps the new form, therefore taking less room in the bin.

The label asks to "check local recycling" as regards the top.

Have done, with (in my case) the Chesterfield authorities advising that the tops are not able to be recycled, and so are thrown in the ordinary bin.

I bet firing your boiler up to do this negates any environmental benefit of recycling the bottle!

22 minutes ago, bendix said:

To be fair, if you have 2 children in nappies generating say 70 nappies a  week - takes up a lot of space in the black bin- especially if you miss the fortnightly bin collection and have a months worth stored up! pooooooo

42 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

To be fair, if you have 2 children in nappies generating say 70 nappies a  week - takes up a lot of space in the black bin- especially if you miss the fortnightly bin collection and have a months worth stored up! pooooooo

Why on earth would anyone think that  a nappy is recyclable??  What would give them THAT idea????

34 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Why on earth would anyone think that  a nappy is recyclable??  What would give them THAT idea????

I don't imagine they do think its recyclable, but the less scrupulous would just hide them in the brown or blue bins to save a trip to the dump 

Can't they just go in the bin that is used for general waste-no need to hide them.

16 hours ago, Nightbird said:

I should have mentioned that the tops are not on mine; I'm sure I heard somewhere that the tops are not recyclable like the bottles, so I've always removed them before putting them in the recycling bin.  

In Sheffield, the info booklet I received from SCC/Veolia says this regarding the brown bin:

"Empty all bottles, rinse and replace top if possible. Labels can be left on."

49 minutes ago, Janus said:

Can't they just go in the bin that is used for general waste-no need to hide them.

I think the implication was that the black bin is already full to the brim, and so they then put them in recycling as well.

ok. I know of one  family who used to just ignore the recycling-may still be doing so. I can imagine the black bin being full quite quick in that situation.

Years ago in the 60s, I understand that the hardworking mothers would boil wash nappies.  Not sure what people's views are on just one aspect of change,  and consequences of it.

21 hours ago, Jen17 said:

Yuk ! Don't most people rinse their bottles and cans before putting in the bin ?

I do, so he's doing half of what it says to do it correctly, no bottle tops, but then it says clean recycling only