Hypocritical Much?

So Lidl have applied for planning permission to build a small store in Swallownest. 

Both the Co-op and Nisa have launched a petition to have it rejected. 

The grounds of this petition is that it will be close to 3 schools (close to one but at least 1/2 mile from the other) & that the store will adversely affect air quality. 

Both Co-op and Nisa are within 75-100 metres from the one school and both have multiple deliveries supplied by HGVs. 

I see this as massively hypocritical. I can only assume that it's a nonsense reason to emote the residents of the village to sign said petition. 

Co-op have done this before when Tesco was going to build. They claimed that Tesco would put everyone out of business and create a monopoly. Then after Tesco was rejected Co-op bought Somerfield and another supermarket store in the village, creating the monopoly. 

Standard practice to protect their own interests. Its to be expected.

It happens all the time - i remember the protests over the KFC at Rotherham being close to a school - built on the site of a pub and about 400 yards from Maccy D's.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

So Lidl have applied for planning permission to build a small store in Swallownest. 

Both the Co-op and Nisa have launched a petition to have it rejected. 

The grounds of this petition is that it will be close to 3 schools (close to one but at least 1/2 mile from the other) & that the store will adversely affect air quality. 

Both Co-op and Nisa are within 75-100 metres from the one school and both have multiple deliveries supplied by HGVs. 

I see this as massively hypocritical. I can only assume that it's a nonsense reason to emote the residents of the village to sign said petition. 

Co-op have done this before when Tesco was going to build. They claimed that Tesco would put everyone out of business and create a monopoly. Then after Tesco was rejected Co-op bought Somerfield and another supermarket store in the village, creating the monopoly. 

Isnt this just normal practice to prevent competition?

Aldi also opposed it. Their argument is that "we were thinking of building a store there first"

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Aldi also opposed it. Their argument is that "we were thinking of building a store there first"

And were slowed by NIMBYism. 

The lidl proposed is in an entirely different location