Guide To Kelham Island

Slightly inspired, went to Church, Pina, Workshop, Riverside,KIT,  Bar Stewards and Crow on Friday!

1 hour ago, jemson said:

Slightly inspired, went to Church, Pina, Workshop, Riverside,KIT,  Bar Stewards and Crow on Friday!

Nice one! 

What did you think? Which was your favourite?

2 hours ago, deejayone said:

Nice one! 

What did you think? Which was your favourite?

All quality in different ways. The Crow Inn I would say was the pick and a nice place to finish off.

1 minute ago, jemson said:

All quality in different ways. The Crow Inn I would say was the pick and a nice place to finish off.

Ironically the one place I haven't tried yet! Will give it a go soon, heard lots of good things.

Yeah, with Chris and Kate (from Rutland) and Adam ex-manager of Shakies, it was always gonna be a real asset imho. Done nicely and great beer.

1 hour ago, Easy livin said:

I used to love kelham island.

Never go there now.   To many people looking for the next cool thing. 

I am sure the trendy crowd love it. But no longer my cup of tea

The Kelham Island Tavern and The Fat Cat have not changed much over the years. Something for everyone in Kelham Island, I would say.

9 minutes ago, jemson said:

Yeah, with Chris and Kate (from Rutland) and Adam ex-manager of Shakies, it was always gonna be a real asset imho. Done nicely and great beer.

Are the curtains up yet?

I enjoyed the guide - good work!

Its been strange seeing Kelham change so much, but its good to see life in the area... though the last year has seen maybe too much life in the area..

I wouldnt say it was a trendy crowd - if anything seems to be a bit older folk who maybe went down West st 10 or 20 years ago. Also can be a  bit of a culture clash  - like in the Gardeners on Saturdays with groups of lads getting the lagers in much to the horror of the bar staff.. I've never seen the pub so full!

I'd say it is a really mixed crowd across the area! There's something for everyone. The traditionalists will go in the likes of Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern and 'trendy' people edge towards Church and Cutlery Works, etc.

Of course there'll be some mixture of people - especially those on a crawl around the area and especially at weekends. Peddler weekend in particular brings a lively crowd down. I think Gardeners has been affected a little by Cutlery Works as people drift between the two and they have a different kind of clientele generally, but the extra custom can only be a good thing, can it not?

On 08/07/2019 at 12:01, Easy livin said:

I used to love kelham island.

Never go there now.   To many people looking for the next cool thing. 

I am sure the trendy crowd love it. But no longer my cup of tea

The sort of bizarre Sheffield attitude that proliferates throughout this forum. It has all sorts of people. People you don't know aren't really why people go out.

19 hours ago, jake said:

I enjoyed the guide - good work!

Its been strange seeing Kelham change so much, but its good to see life in the area... though the last year has seen maybe too much life in the area..

I wouldnt say it was a trendy crowd - if anything seems to be a bit older folk who maybe went down West st 10 or 20 years ago. Also can be a  bit of a culture clash  - like in the Gardeners on Saturdays with groups of lads getting the lagers in much to the horror of the bar staff.. I've never seen the pub so full!

As a community owned and run pub The Gardeners Rest needed all the help it could get. Hopefully the extra income will help it flourish and allow it to offer for more and the community who live and go there. They have decorated the function room upstairs for example and that is available for hire.

Kelham Island is something Sheffield can be immensely proud of, a great place to eat and drink with flourishing local and independent traders and nods to the citys heritage. Lets keep evolving it as much as possible, its fantastic.

On 03/07/2019 at 11:25, deejayone said:

Thank you!

Shhhh... Don't tell the other venues, but Piña is my favourite bar around Kelham currently. You HAVE to try the Tacos... incredible.

The suggestion is great too, thanks. Those places (and more) were going to feature in this video, but it was just getting too long so had to be cut and focussed mainly on food and drink. I'm looking at putting together a video of 'different' things to do in Sheffield soon and they certainly fit in to that theme though... there's also Battleaxe (axe throwing!) off Rutland Road that I want to give a try for it too.

Been to Battleaxe tonight and I would highly recommend it. It’s a fun time suitable for most and you can get dressed in Viking clothes if you want.