Glastonbury - Environmentally Hypocritical?

4 hours ago, Bash Street said:

It's the old do as I say not as I do culture from the snowflakes, which we are being exposed to time and again. I blame the parents.

If that's the only thing I had to complain about, I'd consider myself fortunate.

7 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Imagine the  environmental cost of putting Glastonbury (or any big festival) on..

All the infrastructure shipped to the site for 3 days, then shipped back

200,000 people driving to the site and back

1000's of acts jetting in from all around the world for a one hour set.

All for a bit of hedonistic entertainment for us selfish humans...

It would be interesting to know the carbon emissions one Glastonbury Festival creates...

Amazing festival though!

In terms of car journeys and plane miles I suspect it doesn't have as significant an effect as you presume it does. Those 200,000 people would mostly have been travelling in their cars or on buses anyway as part of their normal daily lives. And since most people don't go to Glastonbury alone they'll almost certainly have shared a car or whatever. While they're at Glastonbury they're not at home using electricity or gas so you can offset some more of the environmental cost.

As for the acts, very few of them will have travelled from outside the UK and those that did were likely touring anyway. And even if they did only the biggest acts would have done so via flights that weren't already scheduled to fly anyway therefore most of the carbon emissions would have existed regardless of the festival.

Anyway, all you're basically doing to being critical of something making an effort to have less of an environmental impact that they would have had if they didn't make the effort which doesn't sound much like someone who actually care about the environment.

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

the original point of the op wasnt just about rubbish, it was about everything ecological, and i agree, the only way to stop completely is go back to living in caves, living off the land like out ancesters did

Oh please, get real.

4 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Sighs.

I’ve been to Glastonbury several times over the last 30 years and it’s always been the same. It’s all on private land which is restored back to a working farm within weeks of the end of the festival. Even when I first went the environment angle was a massive aspect of it and that has never changed. Even the smallest details like avoiding pee-ing into hedgerows is covered because of the damage that causes.

If you think about it logically then based on your argument the site would be an ecological wasteland because of all the damage caused. It’s very much the opposite.

Don’t believe everything you read in the Faily Mail.

5 hours ago, Bash Street said:

I can explain it to you, which I have, but I can't understand it for you. I clear up after myself, I try not to drop any rubbish anywhere but when I do, I pick it up.

No you can’t because you’ve probably never been to a big festival. You don’t understand how they operate.

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

You forgot to mention one-legged vegan LGBT activists. 

Damn.  I missed them. Which stage did they play? 

Edited by Lex Luthor

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Damn.  I missed them. Which stage did they play? 

😂

11 hours ago, Mister M said:

If that's the only thing I had to complain about, I'd consider myself fortunate.

Here we go, another one whose problems are someone else's fault, go on then, let's hear it.

14 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In three days time the place will be spotless with only the steel and trackways remaining. 

It takes six weeks.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

It takes six weeks.

Nonsense! Most of the litter has already gone. Cans and bottles need to be removed first before any site vehicle movements, otherwise they will be ploughed into the ground. All of the sound and lighting equipment is already off site as are most of the marquees. In a weeks time there will only be the fencing and steelwork remaining which will take another 10 days to dismantle and get off site.

According to this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-48823850

the organisers have said

Co-founder Emily Eavis said the "most eye-opening part of the weekend for me was not seeing any plastic bottles in the bins or on the ground".

Urging people not to leave tents on the site, Ms Eavis added: "I think people are really starting to understand how important it is to treat the land with respect, and to stop living a disposable lifestyle."

The on-site recycling team confirmed this saying it has seen "a massive reduction in the amount of plastic on the site this year - the least ever seen, by a distance".

The festival team pointed out there was never a ban on the public bringing their own plastic bottles on site and said all plastic and cans will be recycled at the on-site recycling centre.

also how many other festivals actually have an on site recycling centre and team?

more on their "bit"

In total, 45 tonnes of aluminium cans were processed on site, while 4,500 litres of cooking oil was turned into biofuel.

More than 1,300 recycling volunteers are at Glastonbury Festival each year, while more than 10,000 trees have been planted locally since 2000.

This year, there were 850 water points on the 900-acre site, with 37 WaterAid refill kiosks.

About 40% of festival-goers travel to Glastonbury using public transport.

Edited by melthebell

19 hours ago, Bash Street said:

It's the old do as I say not as I do culture from the snowflakes, which we are being exposed to time and again. I blame the parents.

Is it?  You think that all the festival goers, even the litter leaving ones, are also telling people to drop less litter?  Have you any evidence of this hypocrisy, or did you have to dream it up in order to become outraged about it.

It's the old "outraged of Sheffield forum", having to invent things in order to then make ill supported claims in public about them and express outrage at it all.

18 hours ago, Mister M said:

7 hours ago, Bash Street said:

😂

Here we go, another one whose problems are someone else's fault, go on then, let's hear it.

Now where in my post did I say that my problems are someone else's? 

No I didn't did I. 

I think you're whining about a relatively trivial matter so you can engage in a whinge about festival goers. I've no idea why.

Edited by Mister M

Posts have been removed, please stay on topic.

Thank you.