My brother Vernon Nash, Jo Cocker's pianist in the 60s died this morning aged 73

Very sorry to hear that. My husband played with Vernon in the 60 / 70s. Condolences to his family.

Condolences to you and your family, and thank you for the music, Vernon. 

Edited by Lex Luthor

only just seen this ,my memory of seeing Vernon apart from all the times with joe was I was in windermere on honeymoon and my husband spotted him walking round the lake he shouted across to him and he just nodded and walked on  he was a brilliant guy . rip vernon

Thanks to you all. I'm Vernon's wife, Paloma from Madrid- Spain, where we spent together his last 34 years.

Vernon left some writings about his youth. I am selecting some parts to publish them on my blog as a way of honouring him.  I will obviously ask my brother-in-law, Nigel, when I have doubts as to where places are or were. I am currently trying to find the Frecheville Co-op . I assume it was a pub and have found this https://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/former-sheffield-pub-set-for-auction-sale-139014 but I was wondering why "Co-op". He saw Dave Berry there. From what he wrote it must have been 1960 or 1961.

Can anybody help? Ta

2 hours ago, Paloma G-N said:

Thanks to you all. I'm Vernon's wife, Paloma from Madrid- Spain, where we spent together his last 34 years.

Vernon left some writings about his youth. I am selecting some parts to publish them on my blog as a way of honouring him.  I will obviously ask my brother-in-law, Nigel, when I have doubts as to where places are or were. I am currently trying to find the Frecheville Co-op . I assume it was a pub and have found this https://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/former-sheffield-pub-set-for-auction-sale-139014 but I was wondering why "Co-op". He saw Dave Berry there. From what he wrote it must have been 1960 or 1961.

Can anybody help? Ta

Hello Paloma,

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

It might have been the Frecheville Community Centre Vernon was referring too. Many groups/bands played there in the '60s.

echo.

Hi,Paloma,

Vernon was correct. Above Frecheville co-op,which was next to the Birley Hotel,on Birley Moor Road,was a room where there were many live gigs. I,too, used to go to Dave Berry's gigs

So did I , once asked Daves sister for a date ,she told me to go away and multiply . 

Frecheville co-op would be the room over the co-op ( Co-operative society, a pre - supermarket store). The room could be rented for weddings, parties etc, my cousin had her wedding reception there.

4x2