Gentleman Jack

So, people I know are raving about this, especially last night's episode but I hate to watch things half way, or more, in 

Is it worth the time investment to watch the series now available on iplayer? 

It started well but its getting a bit slow now as if the writers dont know where to go with it  Hardly anything occurred in   episode 6 which we watched  last night on catch up  We almost switched off due to (yet again) loud intrusive  dramatic music which drowned out dialouge at times I wish the people that do this would come and sit and watch it on a normal TV  to hear just how loud  and innappropriate it is . 

I just cannot take to this programme.

I binge watched them all in one go when it was released a few months ago, it made it much better.

I went to a gig, where the duo played the theme, duo called  O'hooley and Tidow....and it was a great gig too... Don't watch the TV prog though.

8 hours ago, pattricia said:

I just cannot take to this programme.

I'm  with you pattricia, don't like it.

I've been watching it and it's OK, but very slow.  Sally Wainwright normally packs a ridiculous amount of plot into her writing. Too much sometimes - the second series of Happy Valley went bananas on the plot-front, to the extent that some of the sub plots got a bit lost. With Gentleman Jack she's gone to the other extreme.

I tried to watch the first episode but Surrane Jones got on my nerves trying to talk posh.  Pointless really as this is Northern based and she is a flipping Northerner.  Her part would have come across off a lot better if she had stuck with her own accent  .:huh:

I understand that it’s based on a real person.

2 hours ago, Olive said:

I've been watching it and it's OK, but very slow.  Sally Wainwright normally packs a ridiculous amount of plot into her writing. Too much sometimes - the second series of Happy Valley went bananas on the plot-front, to the extent that some of the sub plots got a bit lost. With Gentleman Jack she's gone to the other extreme.

It's hard to pack a lot of plot into anything if you're working from the diaries of a real person.  Anne Lister was the first recognised lesbian and there is a blue plaque recognising this on the church in York where she and Ann Walker committed their lives to each other.  Real life doesn't mirror fictional drama for the level of intrigue and speed of plot turnover I'm afraid, but when you consider how amazingly feminist and outstanding Anne Lister was for her generation, it's really rather stunning.

Shibden Hall is just off the A58 if you drive from Halifax towards Leeds.  The grounds are now a lovely park with a boating lake and a great cafe. 

Family live near by, and it was my niece and nephew's favourite place to play in when they were younger.  They also attended Shibden school.

I’m thoroughly enjoying Gentleman Jack. Thank heavens for Anne Lister’s diaries, which nearly got destroyed.  What a woman of her time she was, living in a mans world.  From the age of 7 she wrote in her diary every day, the intimate parts of her life she wrote in code. 

I’ve never been or heard of Shibden Hall until the programme started, it’s a place I would like to visit.  

I love the closing theme song at the end of each episode.  it’s a catchy little number.

Like others have said, it started really good but seems to have lost its way a little bit. I love it when they say things like "I'm leaving for London on Monday, I should be there by Thursday afternoon".  Makes you realise how slow life was in those days when you can now get to Australia in 24 hours. That would have really blown their minds!!