Baseball in England

Just wondering if any of you guys watched that game in London yesterday.Believe me the runs scored is not normal fare. Toronto played both those teams last week at their stadiums.We took 2 of 3 from Boston.We lost all 3 to New York but not by much ie Yankees 22-18 Blue Jays over all 3 games.

When I first arrived here I didn't really like any North American sports but when we moved to Toronto from Kitchener in1984 I got into 

Baseball and have been a fan ever since. Really surprised at the big crowd in London yesterday though.

Edited by Ontarian1981

I went to a major league baseball game somewhere in america a few years back and it was nearly three hours long, and like many US sporting events was full of razzmatazz and interruptions.

Very dull!

Didn’t baseball originate in the U.K? Derby County played at the Baseball Ground but I’ve no idea of the history behind that.

I’ve only seen one baseball match in the States....the Rays against the Jays. It was amazing and typical American razzmatazz. Not cheap but well worth it.

And just like American Football and Ice Hockey, I’ve no idea of the rules.

4 hours ago, Bash Street said:

We call it rounders here mate.😀

....and did you see the recent fuss in Toronto over a game of netball?

50 minutes ago, Morts said:

Derby County played at the Baseball Ground but I’ve no idea of the history behind that.

My Derby County mate says that baseball used to be played there in the 1880’s but it never caught on so ended up being a footie ground.

5 hours ago, Bash Street said:

We call it rounders here mate.😀

That's what I said when I first came over, but they don't wear navy blue knickers. To the best of my knowledge. lol

2 hours ago, Morts said:

Didn’t baseball originate in the U.K? Derby County played at the Baseball Ground but I’ve no idea of the history behind that.

I’ve only seen one baseball match in the States....the Rays against the Jays. It was amazing and typical American razzmatazz. Not cheap but well worth it.

And just like American Football and Ice Hockey, I’ve no idea of the rules.

There are many thoughts on the origin, including one that the game was made up from a rounders and cricket  blend. But there are so many stories that I don't think anybody knows the real origin. I think it was probably started by kids playing in the streets with what they find to hit a ball with, then rules evolved. Basketball or as Jim called it "net ball" lol, was invented by a Canadian doctor or professor. So you could say that championship finally came home, I suppose.

Edited by Ontarian1981