1979 Steel strike

A Dutch newspaper called De Groene Amsterdammer did an article on the Stocksbridge steel workers involved in the strike, can anyone remember, has anyone got this article.

I can remember after the strike I started moving the stainless scrap from the bottom of Shepcote Lane up to the top and into the SMACC site. I also ran the stainless scrap from Stocksbridge down to SMACC. Likewise from the wire works at underbank down to SMACC. Made my boss a lot of brass. He started with me and one truck and as the business evolved we had about 15 after a few years.

If I remember correctly, Ropers had the contract before us, but one of their trucks ran over a pickets foot and the Unions had them stopped.

Nowt to do with the Stocksbridge steelworkers strike, but a bit of a tenuous link to it.

Angel1.

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I can remember after the strike I started moving the stainless scrap from the bottom of Shepcote Lane up to the top and into the SMACC site. I also ran the stainless scrap from Stocksbridge down to SMACC. Likewise from the wire works at underbank down to SMACC. Made my boss a lot of brass. He started with me and one truck and as the business evolved we had about 15 after a few years.

If I remember correctly, Ropers had the contract before us, but one of their trucks ran over a pickets foot and the Unions had them stopped.

Nowt to do with the Stocksbridge steelworkers strike, but a bit of a tenuous link to it.

Angel1.

Tenuous liks Part 2

SMACC was part of BSC Stainless products division but was on the BSC Tinsley Park site.

BSC Shepcote Lane was also part of BSC Stainless.

BSC Tinsley Park was a much larger plant than BSC Stocksbridge but was run from Stocksbridge as part of BSC Special Steels.

Both divisions melted/rolled/treated each others stuff.

All were closed during the strike.

You would have driven past my office as you drove up to SMACC.

The Dutch were responsible for checking quotas for types of special steel production at Stocksbridge/Tinsley Park. A number of them worked at both sites. 

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Tenuous liks Part 2

SMACC was part of BSC Stainless products division but was on the BSC Tinsley Park site.

BSC Shepcote Lane was also part of BSC Stainless.

BSC Tinsley Park was a much larger plant than BSC Stocksbridge but was run from Stocksbridge as part of BSC Special Steels.

Both divisions melted/rolled/treated each others stuff.

All were closed during the strike.

You would have driven past my office as you drove up to SMACC.

The Dutch were responsible for checking quotas for types of special steel production at Stocksbridge/Tinsley Park. A number of them worked at both sites. 

As a contractor, I worked at all three BSC plants mentioned here, among others. I actually worked at Tinsley Park briefly as a BSC employee ,in maintenance, around 1970. However I would like to know what SMACC stands for, as I am not getting that bit at all. 

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

As a contractor, I worked at all three BSC plants mentioned here, among others. I actually worked at Tinsley Park briefly as a BSC employee ,in maintenance, around 1970. However I would like to know what SMACC stands for, as I am not getting that bit at all. 

stainless melting and continuous casting :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, ricgem2002 said:

stainless melting and continuous casting :thumbsup:

Cheers mate.