Does the media misrepresent the experiences and interests of everyday people

8 hours ago, Bash Street said:

MSM like to whip us up into a frenzy pushing their lefty/liberal views on us, they brainwash the people who can't think for themselves.

So the Sun, Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph are lefty liberals? They do a good job of hiding it 😎

9 hours ago, Bash Street said:

MSM like to whip us up into a frenzy pushing their lefty/liberal views on us, they brainwash the people who can't think for themselves.

Wrong country - This is the American "Alt Right" reaction to their own MSM which has survived accusation of 'fake news' and now  its accused of being "lefty/liberal", terms with very different meanings in the US.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

So the Sun, Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph are lefty liberals? They do a good job of hiding it 😎

I was thinking more along the lines of The Independent, Guardian,Ch 4 News, BBC News, Sky News, but you knew that anyway didn't you.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Wrong country - This is the American "Alt Right" reaction to their own MSM which has survived accusation of 'fake news' and now  its accused of being "lefty/liberal", terms with very different meanings in the US.

Exactly the same here, fake news all over the shop as well as manipulation. Unfortunately, you'll only see it if you're looking for it.

16 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is not simply sensationalism which sells paper/attracts clicks.

A celeb wearing a new dress also gets good media traction, and that has got to be one of the dullest type of story there is! 😵

It sells some things to some audiences, you won't see it in the FT though.

10 hours ago, Bash Street said:

I was thinking more along the lines of The Independent, Guardian,Ch 4 News, BBC News, Sky News, but you knew that anyway didn't you.

So you were ignoring the fact that half the MSM in the UK has a strong right wing lean.  Trash rags like the Daily Mail, the Sun, the Mirror, and more up market version like the Telegraph and the Times.

Which makes it look fairly balanced then against the few left leaning papers, The Independent and the Guardian.

Frankly if you think that the BBC is left, then that just highlights to me exactly how right you are yourself.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

It sells some things to some audiences, you won't see it in the FT though.

So you were ignoring the fact that half the MSM in the UK has a strong right wing lean.  Trash rags like the Daily Mail, the Sun, the Mirror, and more up market version like the Telegraph and the Times.

Which makes it look fairly balanced then against the few left leaning papers, The Independent and the Guardian.

Frankly if you think that the BBC is left, then that just highlights to me exactly how right you are yourself.

I know I am.

I still don’t understand fully why the majority of people in deprived leave voting areas think leaving the EU is going to help them. They get interviewed often enough but when they do it’s like they are reading straight off their Facebook feed or that day’s gutter press.

That is not a misrepresentation. They simply don’t have thoughts of their own and repeat stuff mindlessly. We’ve had it with the EU, with the disabled, with benefits claimants. Rinse and repeat. 

People are simply being manipulated

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

They simply don’t have thoughts of their own and repeat stuff mindlessly. We’ve had it with the EU, with the disabled, with benefits claimants. Rinse and repeat. 

People are simply being manipulated

Very few people do; for better or worse, we are all products of our environment.

18 hours ago, beefface said:

I was talking (typing?) specifically how the media seem to misrepresent what is really happening, certainly in the world i inhabit. An example would be the imminent arrival of a royal baby “ A nation waits with baited breath” is the kind of stuff the media tend to gush, when on reflection I’ve possibly not encountered one single person who’s mentioned it, or heard anyone talking about it, and when questioning my wife who works in an environment totally populated with women, she neither.  

Perhaps it was because everyone’s breath was “baited”.

Not baited. It's bated. 

23 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Not baited. It's bated. 

Thank you for the correction.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

(...)

I don't think that a 'lefty' BBC would have edited out last years's Boris insult to the French at the request of the Foreign Office:

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnsons-crude-remark-about-the-french-was-cut-by-bbc-11750421

nor that it would have been so selective when inviting British MEPs to QT over the past 10 years, as to manage to invite only UKIP and Brexit Party MEPs (3 Conservative MEPs form the statistical error):

https://mobile.twitter.com/RCorbettMEP/status/1144369238217547776

Edited by L00b
added links

36 minutes ago, L00b said:

I don't think that a 'lefty' BBC would have edited out last years's Boris insult to the French at the request of the Foreign Office:

Or was the very last news organisation to report on the police attending the row at Carrie Symonds house story.

The BBC as an institution, very much sees its role is to act in the interests of the royal family and the Conservative Party.

I attempted to open a topic on a possibly interesting issue. As usual the discussion has degenerated  into the same old left v right, tory v labour cliche. I bet you lot can clear rooms.

Don’t think i’ll bother again.