Calling anonymously from a mobile

On 25/06/2019 at 13:59, RollingJ said:

Not possible, I'm afraid, as far as I can tell on a mobile, unless  Bash Street's suggestion works.

going into the phones dialler/caller settings, and select to hide your number or not show it, will cause the other end to not see your number.... (141 doesn't work on all networks) - you would however, have to turn this setting on / off between calls as/when you need it..

18 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

going into the phones dialler/caller settings, and select to hide your number or not show it, will cause the other end to not see your number.... (141 doesn't work on all networks) - you would however, have to turn this setting on / off between calls as/when you need it..

Isn't that mentioned earlier? - I'll go check.

OK, not specifically.

Edited by RollingJ

Put 141 in front of the number you are calling and it withholds the callers number. Try it by calling your landline from your mobile with 141 in front, it does work because I have just tried it and says withheld on my landline. I am using GiffGaff so o2 should work as well.

Edited by iansheff

15 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Put 141 in front of the number you are calling and it withholds the callers number. Try it by calling your landline from your mobile with 141 in front, it does work because I have just tried it and says withheld on my landline. I am using GiffGaff so o2 should work as well.

not all networks allow it, 3 don't - and when you try to use 141 there's a message telling you that you can't, EE allow it for certain numbers - not sure about O2 but I think they allow it as standard, and Voda i'm not sure etc..

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

not all networks allow it, 3 don't - and when you try to use 141 there's a message telling you that you can't, EE allow it for certain numbers - not sure about O2 but I think they allow it as standard, and Voda i'm not sure etc..

I would imagine o2 does as GiffGaff uses o2.

I heard about an apps from play store do the same. But it will pick a random number. Not just anonymous.

Does anyone know if it is possible to block withheld calls on Virgin.

On 28/06/2019 at 18:52, Ghozer said:

On 3 you dial #31#. Been using it for years :D

I am the last person who should be on a tech chat thread. However I am intrigued by the pre occupation with anonimity on a phone call. Why does one wish to make a phone call, in this era of call display, and be concerned about the recipient knowing who you are? I, for one, look who is calling,and if it says "unknown name" or " private name" I simply don't pick up the phone. I wll check if a message is left later on.

On 26/06/2019 at 13:54, andysm said:

Have you tried:

#31#[phone number]

?

This definitely works from an O2 mobile to a UK landline.

Whether it works on other networks?

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I am the last person who should be on a tech chat thread. However I am intrigued by the pre occupation with anonimity on a phone call. Why does one wish to make a phone call, in this era of call display, and be concerned about the recipient knowing who you are? I, for one, look who is calling,and if it says "unknown name" or " private name" I simply don't pick up the phone. I wll check if a message is left later on.

The reason I withhold my number is if I have an unrecognised number that has called me,  I call them back on my mobile.  As soon as they answer you usually know if it is a cold caller and if it doesn't ring you can just block it. I have had 2 calls from a number with a Sheffield dialling code, I rang withholding my number to find it was from "future home insulation" I have never heard of them and I am registered with the TPS, the number is now blocked. I usually report all these types of calls to the ICO on their website.

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

The reason I withhold my number is if I have an unrecognised number that has called me,  I call them back on my mobile.  As soon as they answer you usually know if it is a cold caller and if it doesn't ring you can just block it. I have had 2 calls from a number with a Sheffield dialling code, I rang withholding my number to find it was from "future home insulation" I have never heard of them and I am registered with the TPS, the number is now blocked. I usually report all these types of calls to the ICO on their website.

OK thanks, I was not being judgemental or anything, I was seriously curious about the reasons behind it. Personally, if the number is not familiar or has no name with it, I ignore it on my landline or my mobile. If no message or a sales pitch is on the voice mail, I delete it and forget about it. Thanks again for your reply.