Calling anonymously from a mobile

Is it possible to make calls anonymously from a mobile on a call by call basis, rather than just turning off number display in settings?

A webpage I found suggested dialing 141 before the pone number (as you would on a landline) but this doesn't work for me.

Thanks

Edited by Grahamfff

What mobile do you have? I know it is possible on Apple phones, but I have seen a couple of android ones where the ability is either absent or very well hidden.

Try looking in the phones handbook.

Try knocking the 0 off the front of the mobile number.

37 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

What mobile do you have? I know it is possible on Apple phones, but I have seen a couple of android ones where the ability is either absent or very well hidden.

Try looking in the phones handbook. 

My phone is an iPhone, but I'd like to know for other phones too. Is it not a phone network issue rather than specific to particular handsets?

No, @Grahamfff, it is a model/OS issue, which is why I suggested looking in the phones handbook.

Sorry, didn't notice you knew about the option in settings.

Edited by RollingJ

38 minutes ago, Grahamfff said:

Is it not a phone network issue rather than specific to particular handsets?

It is a network issue in as much as the network knows your number and depending on how the call is routed the recipient can end up with the callers number regardless of what was done on the handset. I know a few people who have been caught out thinking that they are calling anonymously and it turns out that they aren’t.

Didn't know that, @Top Cats Hat, but I have never suffered from the problem, or heard others that have. You live and learn.:)

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Didn't know that, @Top Cats Hat, but I have never suffered from the problem, or heard others that have. You live and learn.:)

It doesn’t happen that often but what I’m saying is that you can’t be 100% sure that your number won’t appear. It is particularly common with calls from abroad where the local network doesn’t pass on the ‘number witheld’ information to the UK network.

Understood - as I get/make very few calls from abroad or know people there, that is probably why I've never, AFAIK, experienced it.

So using settings to withhold the number will usually work; but what about call-by-call withholding of the number?

1 minute ago, Grahamfff said:

So using settings to withhold the number will usually work; but what about call-by-call withholding of the number?

Not possible, I'm afraid, as far as I can tell on a mobile, unless  Bash Street's suggestion works.

Have you tried:

#31#[phone number]

?