Help required RE trade union.

I am needing some advice about a trade union issue. Can anyone help?  Without disclosing too much information. 

Mr x makes a complaint about trade union/one of its representatives. 

After quite a prolonged period of time Mr X is invited to a meeting about the complaint. 

Mr X asks to take a representative with him for moral support mainly.  He is told No unless the rep is a member of the trade union. 

Is this correct? I'm Getting murky info online. Acas is closed. To me it feels wrong as why would d you want to take a representative from the organisation You  are complaining about to a meeting  with you. The rep is only going to advise in favour of the union and not impartially I would have thought. 

I have attempted to get the information from the unions head office but they are as unhelpful as their regional office on this one. 

It would all depend on what procedure the complaint is being dealt with.

You don’t make it clear who the complaint is being made to. The employer or the relevant trade union? If the complaint is to the trade union under their complaints procedure then they are at liberty to decide the rules. If the complaint is to your employer you can choose to have anyone you like (within reason) to attend.  

Sorry, complaint is being made to the union. 

In that case they probably have a right to say that the rules require you are represented by another union member.

I’m not entirely sure why you think that a rep is only going to advise in favour of the union and not impartially. I was a shop steward and union rep for years and always represented members impartially regardless of who the complaint was against.

I’d suggest that you ask them to postpone the meeting whilst you take legal advice.

Get some advice from a solicitor and go from there. It may be that the Union have their own rules to follow, but they don’t supersede employment law.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In that case they probably have a right to say that the rules require you are represented by another union member.

I’m not entirely sure why you think that a rep is only going to advise in favour of the union and not impartially. I was a shop steward and union rep for years and always represented members impartially regardless of who the complaint was against.

I think most people would be concerned that a union rep can't give impartial advice in a complaint against his own union.

15 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I think most people would be concerned that a union rep can't give impartial advice in a complaint against his own union.

Impartial advice is impartial advice.

It is neither for or against anyone.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Impartial advice is impartial advice.

It is neither for or against anyone.

By definition, it can't  be impartial.

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

By definition, it can only be impartial.

You think a union rep can give true impartial advice against his own union and a fellow union colleague??

4 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

You think a union rep can give true impartial advice against his own union and a fellow union colleague??

Having done it myself on a number of occasions, of course they can.

If the union is wrong then pointing that out and remedying that is not going against the union, it is actually supporting it.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Having done it myself on a number of occasions, of course they can.

If the union is wrong then pointing that out and remedying that is not going against the union, it is actually supporting it.

Sorry, I don't agree at all. I'm  not saying it can't  hapoen, but in reality it is a conflucted situation.