Driver of a Prius that had a can of rebull launched at them...

I have the incident on dashcam if you wish to persue matters.   Have number plates of both vehicles. 

Blue prius, on roundabout heading towards A61 near jct36

1 hour ago, pearlt072 said:

I have the incident on dashcam if you wish to persue matters.   Have number plates of both vehicles. 

Blue prius, on roundabout heading towards A61 near jct36

Good on you for this; I wish that there were more people willing to make the effort to act to help others and see that the crap element are dealt with.

I can see some merits in this "dash-cam" thing.  But I also have some concerns.

The other week I was travelling home from darn sarth.  I'd just left the M25 to join the M40 north.  A collision almost incurred a few yards in front of me.

The driver of a little white hatchback car had left it very late to leave the M25 and join the M40.  He shot across the hatched-area and straight into the outside lane of the M40 almost colliding side-on with another car in the outside lane.  It was only the quick reflexes of the car driver already in the outside lane that prevent a serious accident.  He sort of saw him coming across the hatched area and managed to swerve out of his way.

Unsurprisingly the driver of the car who had just narrowly missed being crashed into, gave the bloke in the other car the finger.  What followed next was a game of cat and mouse for the next 10 miles or so.

The guy in the little white hatchback was doing his best to force the other driver completely off the road.  He was pulling in front of him and trying to force him onto the hard shoulder.  I drive about 700 miles a week, most weeks, and have done for years, but I've never quite seen anything like this before.  I mean, it was downright reckless and dangerous and could have killed the pair of them.  I hung well back until I got the opportunity to speed past in the outside lane.  

Now...

With hindsight I probably should have taken their numbers and reported it to the police. 

I thought about what would have happened if I'd had a dash-cam installed.  I'm pretty sure I would have handed it over and I'd hope that for something this serious, some action would be taken.

However, I also think that there's a real danger that we become a society of snitchers with these things.  Reporting trivial and minor incidents and taking up police time when there are better things for them to be doing.  

It might have resulted in the dangerous driver you saw being prosecuted and removed from the roads, which would be a good thing right...

Perhaps trivial things would be reported, but I doubt that most people would care enough.

I could submit footage of drivers making illegal turns and going up one way streets (the wrong way) on a nearly basis, but I don't, it's not worth the effort.

You could also report it to the Council for littering. 

I did this when I saw someone launch a drinks can from the car in front on a motorway slip road. The Council in question were excellent in following it up and issuing a fixed-penalty notice. Hopefully that person will think again before polluting our environment.

59 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It might have resulted in the dangerous driver you saw being prosecuted and removed from the roads, which would be a good thing right...

Perhaps trivial things would be reported, but I doubt that most people would care enough.

I could submit footage of drivers making illegal turns and going up one way streets (the wrong way) on a nearly basis, but I don't, it's not worth the effort.

I see it several times a day also. 

Almost always have an additional plate attached bearing 1 of 4 councils (Sheffield, Rotherham, Calderdale & Kirklees) 

Sometimes that's true, but I see plenty of regular cars make banned turns.  Quite often across pedestrians, for example at Hillsborough corner they turn across a live pedestrian crossing.  That's never a taxi (that I've seen).

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I can see some merits in this "dash-cam" thing.  But I also have some concerns.

The other week I was travelling home from darn sarth.  I'd just left the M25 to join the M40 north.  A collision almost incurred a few yards in front of me.

The driver of a little white hatchback car had left it very late to leave the M25 and join the M40.  He shot across the hatched-area and straight into the outside lane of the M40 almost colliding side-on with another car in the outside lane.  It was only the quick reflexes of the car driver already in the outside lane that prevent a serious accident.  He sort of saw him coming across the hatched area and managed to swerve out of his way.

Unsurprisingly the driver of the car who had just narrowly missed being crashed into, gave the bloke in the other car the finger.  What followed next was a game of cat and mouse for the next 10 miles or so.

The guy in the little white hatchback was doing his best to force the other driver completely off the road.  He was pulling in front of him and trying to force him onto the hard shoulder.  I drive about 700 miles a week, most weeks, and have done for years, but I've never quite seen anything like this before.  I mean, it was downright reckless and dangerous and could have killed the pair of them.  I hung well back until I got the opportunity to speed past in the outside lane.  

Now...

With hindsight I probably should have taken their numbers and reported it to the police. 

I thought about what would have happened if I'd had a dash-cam installed.  I'm pretty sure I would have handed it over and I'd hope that for something this serious, some action would be taken.

However, I also think that there's a real danger that we become a society of snitchers with these things.  Reporting trivial and minor incidents and taking up police time when there are better things for them to be doing.  

If you have it on camera it's definitely worth reporting and not in anyway 'snitching'.

Next time he might succeed in forcing someone off the road, then beat them to a pulp.  All because he made an illegal maneuver???

People like that don't deserve the privilege of driving.

I think Dash Cams are a good idea, almost like the VAR of driving. 

Some manufacturers are starting to jump on to this as well and include them built in to the interior mirrors, great idea if you ask me, I can't remember which one but one American manufacturer, Chevrolet or one of them has the built in dash cam respond to movement around the vehicle when the car is parked. If it detects anyone trying to break in to the car or damaging the car it will begin to auto record footage inside and outside 

2 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

I think Dash Cams are a good idea, almost like the VAR of driving. 

Some manufacturers are starting to jump on to this as well and include them built in to the interior mirrors, great idea if you ask me, I can't remember which one but one American manufacturer, Chevrolet or one of them has the built in dash cam respond to movement around the vehicle when the car is parked. If it detects anyone trying to break in to the car or damaging the car it will begin to auto record footage inside and outside 

I'm surprised more cars don't just come with 'dash' cams as standard nowadays, given that many have multiple cameras housed at the top of the windscreen/on the tailgate anyway (mine's got two or three up front and a reversing camera)