Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Education!

 

If people were better educated, fake news would disappear once people’s reactions were to laugh at it rather than believe it.

50% are higher education qualified. People have always believed gossip to some extent ot another.

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

In that case, you'll have to reverse the  decline in education standards, and when you have some of the teachers I have dealt with, that is going to be a major task.

My kids went to the same school as me, big run-of-the-mill Sheffield secondary, and the level they learn at knocks socks the off what we used to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

50% are higher education qualified. People have always believed gossip to some extent ot another.

My kids went to the same school as me, big run-of-the-mill Sheffield secondary, and the level they learn at knocks socks the off what we used to do.

Higher education qualified in what subjects, though?

My nephews and nieces all went to different schools - we are quite a big family spread round the country - and the differences in educational standards is quite alarming.

WHAT they learn today is different, I grant you, but the level -?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Higher education qualified in what subjects, though?

My nephews and nieces all went to different schools - we are quite a big family spread round the country - and the differences in educational standards is quite alarming.

WHAT they learn today is different, I grant you, but the level -?

Sure, lots do degrees in sports behaviour science or whatever. But, it still needs some academic input.

The level they study at GCSE is good too. I have an engineering degree, and I'd say good GCSE grades require a very good level of learning. They study complex ideas in English and other subjects go quite deep too. My kids can speak about lots of topics in good detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

In that case, you'll have to reverse the  decline in education standards, and when you have some of the teachers I have dealt with, that is going to be a major task.

Education isn’t just a question of teachers and book learning it is also about how society sees itself and where it is going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find not watching the television helps. Seriously, try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Education isn’t just a question of teachers and book learning it is also about how society sees itself and where it is going.

With respect, I kind of understand what you are saying, but if those doing the leading can't even add 2+2=4 , how are they going to impart such concepts to their students?

This BBC report was interesting, especially for the weak and mealy-mouthed response: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48717840

Edited by RollingJ
Added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Education isn’t just a question of teachers and book learning it is also about how society sees itself and where it is going.

And how has that type of education changed? Do you think that was something taught in the past, but not now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GivenToFly said:

I find not watching the television helps. Seriously, try it.

What do you do instead? Where do you get your news and entertainment from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

And how has that type of education changed? Do you think that was something taught in the past, but not now?

No, it has never been taught. 

 

The great and the good who decide these things, have never had any real interest in an educated populace other than enough to run things and provide a certain amount of innovation.

 

An educated population is a dangerous prospect for those who fear change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

What do you do instead? Where do you get your news and entertainment from?

Sheffield Forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Sheffield Forum.

A really, really reliable source.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, it has never been taught. 

 

The great and the good who decide these things, have never had any real interest in an educated populace other than enough to run things and provide a certain amount of innovation.

 

An educated population is a dangerous prospect for those who fear change.

So, how would someone such as yourself become more informed, and be able to sort the wheat from the chaff,  whereas another person wouldn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.