The age of the "Deep Fake" is upon us. An age when anything can mean anything to anyone.

Marshall  McLuhan was right: " I have insisted that any new structure for codifying experience and moving information,be it alphabet or photography has the power of imposing its structural character and assumptions upon all levels of our private and social lives-even without benefit of concepts or conscious acceptance........That is what I've always meant by "the medium is the

message" (On McLuhan, by Paul Benedetti and Nancy DeHart),

Reality will become a quaint notion .

Edited by petemcewan

16 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Reality will become a quaint notion .

I think for many people it has been for a while.

The biggest problem we have now is that there is seemingly no longer objectivity of analysis in significant sections of the population. What I mean by this is that even if something is demonstrated beyond doubt to be untrue, some people can both accept that it is untrue and yet continue to believe it as long as it fits with their narrative.

Rolling J

McLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Apparently it is now possible to cobble together -by means of the Internet - what appears to be real people indulging in all kinds of activities.

Like Donald Trump declaring war on Russia-and how do we know it's not real ?

Or a weather bomb of extreme weather is about to hit-so dash out and raid Tesco.

Edited by petemcewan

1 minute ago, petemcewan said:

Rolling J

MvLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Apparently it is now possible to cobble together -by means of the Internet - what appears to be real people indulging in all kinds of activities.

Yup, and that quote made about as much sense as 99.9% of the guff posted on Facebook - i.e. none.

14 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Rolling J

McLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Or a weather bomb of extreme weather is about to hit-so dash out and raid Tesco.

That could be done in the past too, by controlling newspapers.

The same problem exists now through facebook fake news, but there are also multiple routes for on-the-ground news or evidence to quickly get out too.

Double edged sword.

I think more important is the self selection of news. 

People no longer want to be informed but would rather be reassured that their view of the world along with all their prejudices, is the correct one. With almost all views catered for somewhere, it is very easy for most people to find a news source to fit be that fake news on facebook or the online version of The Guardian.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think more important is the self selection of news. 

People no longer want to be informed but would rather be reassured that their view of the world along with all their prejudices, is the correct one. With almost all views catered for somewhere, it is very easy for most people to find a news source to fit be that fake news on facebook or the online version of The Guardian.

As when they bought the paper copies of the Guardian, or Sun or Morning Star?

My Thoughts are:

People will only believe what they think is their version of the truth.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think for many people it has been for a while.

The biggest problem we have now is that there is seemingly no longer objectivity of analysis in significant sections of the population. What I mean by this is that even if something is demonstrated beyond doubt to be untrue, some people can both accept that it is untrue and yet continue to believe it as long as it fits with their narrative.

I think what you're trying to say is that despite huge advances in education, literacy and technology, people are stupid, have already been stupid and are likely stupider now than ever before.

Dont thank me

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

??🤔

I recommend you pick up a copy of Private Eye and seek out Pseud's Corner.