Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

 

 

 

The age of the "Deep Fake" is upon us. An age when anything can mean anything to anyone.

 

Marshall  McLuhan was right: " I have insisted that any new structure for codifying experience and moving information,be it alphabet or photography has the power of imposing its structural character and assumptions upon all levels of our private and social lives-even without benefit of concepts or conscious acceptance........That is what I've always meant by "the medium is the

message" (On McLuhan, by Paul Benedetti and Nancy DeHart),

 

Reality will become a quaint notion .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by petemcewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Reality will become a quaint notion .

I think for many people it has been for a while.

 

The biggest problem we have now is that there is seemingly no longer objectivity of analysis in significant sections of the population. What I mean by this is that even if something is demonstrated beyond doubt to be untrue, some people can both accept that it is untrue and yet continue to believe it as long as it fits with their narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rolling J

 

McLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Apparently it is now possible to cobble together -by means of the Internet - what appears to be real people indulging in all kinds of activities.

Like Donald Trump declaring war on Russia-and how do we know it's not real ?

Or a weather bomb of extreme weather is about to hit-so dash out and raid Tesco.

Edited by petemcewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petemcewan said:

Rolling J

 

MvLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Apparently it is now possible to cobble together -by means of the Internet - what appears to be real people indulging in all kinds of activities.

Like Donald Trump declaring war on Russia-and how do we know it's not real ?

Yup, and that quote made about as much sense as 99.9% of the guff posted on Facebook - i.e. none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Rolling J

 

McLuhan was a communications guru, he wrote extensively about mass communications and its social impact.

Apparently it is now possible to cobble together -by means of the Internet - what appears to be real people indulging in all kinds of activities.

Like Donald Trump declaring war on Russia-and how do we know it's not real ?

Or a weather bomb of extreme weather is about to hit-so dash out and raid Tesco.

That could be done in the past too, by controlling newspapers.

The same problem exists now through facebook fake news, but there are also multiple routes for on-the-ground news or evidence to quickly get out too.

Double edged sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think more important is the self selection of news. 

 

People no longer want to be informed but would rather be reassured that their view of the world along with all their prejudices, is the correct one. With almost all views catered for somewhere, it is very easy for most people to find a news source to fit be that fake news on facebook or the online version of The Guardian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think more important is the self selection of news. 

 

People no longer want to be informed but would rather be reassured that their view of the world along with all their prejudices, is the correct one. With almost all views catered for somewhere, it is very easy for most people to find a news source to fit be that fake news on facebook or the online version of The Guardian.

As when they bought the paper copies of the Guardian, or Sun or Morning Star?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Thoughts are:

People will only believe what they think is their version of the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think for many people it has been for a while.

 

The biggest problem we have now is that there is seemingly no longer objectivity of analysis in significant sections of the population. What I mean by this is that even if something is demonstrated beyond doubt to be untrue, some people can both accept that it is untrue and yet continue to believe it as long as it fits with their narrative.

I think what you're trying to say is that despite huge advances in education, literacy and technology, people are stupid, have already been stupid and are likely stupider now than ever before.

 

Dont thank me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

??🤔

I recommend you pick up a copy of Private Eye and seek out Pseud's Corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.