Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Who next - new President of the European Commission?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

In all of that, you jumped off the pooling of sovereignty in relation to free trade.

How is that squared in the Japanese and Canadian examples?

You did that jumping off, when you asked "how have Japan and Canada reacted to the pooling of their sovereignty", in reply to a post clearly distinguishing the pooling of sovereignty entailed by EU membership, from more trade agreements at arm's length requiring significantly less encroachement on national sovereignty.

 

So, was that yet another strawman of yours, after all that? Or have we reached your threshold of understanding about international trade here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L00b said:

You did that jumping off, when you asked "how have Japan and Canada reacted to the pooling of their sovereignty", in reply to a post clearly distinguishing the pooling of sovereignty entailed by EU membership, from more trade agreements at arm's length requiring significantly less encroachement on national sovereignty.

 

So, was that yet another strawman of yours, after all that? Or have we reached your threshold of understanding about international trade here?

No. Both Japan and Canada have fairly comprehensive fta's starting from a position of very little alignment, and have no pooled sovereignty.

I'm just interested in why a jointly beneficial fta requires the pooling of sovereignty that we have engaged in so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

No. Both Japan and Canada have fairly comprehensive fta's starting from a position of very little alignment, and have no pooled sovereignty.

I'm just interested in why a jointly beneficial fta requires the pooling of sovereignty that we have engaged in so far.

That question continues to highlight your apparent lack of understanding about what the EU is and how it works.

 

And the answer is, quite simply, because the EU is not "a jointly beneficial FTA".

 

CETA is "a jointly beneficial FTA".

 

Do Canadian exporters get frictionless borders under CETA? No, they don't. They get ever less tarriffs applied to their goods by the EU, and reciprocally, as time goes on.

 

Do Canadian banks get highly-lucrative financial passporting rights under CETA? Not even in their dreams.

 

Even the Swiss don't have either of these (frictionless border/passporting rights), and they're in a far closer relationship with the EU than a "jointly beneficial FTA", complete with the Brexiteer-hated freedom of movement.

 

FTAs are for goods mainly, and services associated with those goods to a much lesser extent. If you want to trade services frictionlessly, you need far, far more than "jointly beneficial FTAs".

 

Now, the UK economy is what, 80% services?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2019 at 09:21, melthebell said:

But the point is our government could've but didn't, the Tories are everything carboot is railing against. It is the eu that has put in regulations to keep their excesses in check

Ha ha.

 

The EU has imposed far harsher economic austerity on the working and under class of its member states than any UK Tory government has ever done. The EU ensured that the rights of workers were up for sale to the lowest bidder in Greece with international capital demanding that Greece sold a whole raft of publically owned assets to private Capital.  

 

The people of Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Italy have had austerity of up to 40% imposed on them by their EU rulers, throwing a whole generation into lifelong unemployment.

 

This is the cold hard reality of the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the gravy train drivers:  Bliar or the Welsh windbag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2019 at 20:19, Car Boot said:

Ha ha.

 

The EU has imposed far harsher economic austerity on the working and under class of its member states than any UK Tory government has ever done. The EU ensured that the rights of workers were up for sale to the lowest bidder in Greece with international capital demanding that Greece sold a whole raft of publically owned assets to private Capital.  

 

The people of Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Italy have had austerity of up to 40% imposed on them by their EU rulers, throwing a whole generation into lifelong unemployment.

 

This is the cold hard reality of the EU.

Since when does 1% of the population represent ‘the workers’? Austerity was repeatedly ratified by the people of Greece. 

 

In the meantime, guess which country has the biggest disparity in wealth?

 

thanks for trying. Also, how does this relate to the new EU President?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:58, Voice of reason said:

 

I'm just interested in why a jointly beneficial fta requires the pooling of sovereignty that we have engaged in so far.

Europe including Britain, should pool its sovereignty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2019 at 18:19, Car Boot said:

Ha ha.

 

The EU has imposed far harsher economic austerity on the working and under class of its member states than any UK Tory government has ever done. The EU ensured that the rights of workers were up for sale to the lowest bidder in Greece with international capital demanding that Greece sold a whole raft of publically owned assets to private Capital.  

 

The people of Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Italy have had austerity of up to 40% imposed on them by their EU rulers, throwing a whole generation into lifelong unemployment.

 

This is the cold hard reality of the EU.

Has it? My pay has risen by 235% since 2008. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.