Who next - new President of the European Commission?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

So the French proposal is Angela, instead of a French politician. Fancy Macron pushing a candidate with genuine capabilities, rather than a cronyist/nationalistic selection of a meriting high level civil servant. I bet the énarques and polytechniciens (French equivalent to your OxBridge mandarin types) are seething with incandescent rage :D

Germany's actual proposal is Schauble IIRC?

Who is the UK's?

Germany's proposal is manfred weber. I don't know who our proposed, or supported candidate is. As I said, it is so far removed from our control, it is barely worth following, beyond knowing the huge impact that person will have on EU life.

49 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Germany's proposal is manfred weber. I don't know who our proposed, or supported candidate is. As I said, it is so far removed from our control, it is barely worth following, beyond knowing the huge impact that person will have on EU life.

The EU Commission President, in and of him/herself, does not have that big an impact at all: the Council and the Parliament have a much bigger impact.

Sure, it's not a honorific title (like e.g. Ireland's President), but it's less executive in nature than you seem to believe: most of the 'power' associated with the role is PR (figurehead role, particularly relevant for diplomatic (outra-EU) purposes) and soft (selection of Commissioners). The President doesn't propose EU law, for starters: Commissioners do (and he/she must give 1 Commissioner post to each member state).

The job is *all* about consensus politics, something which British politicians are sorely lacking experience in. I'm not surprised Juncker did well in his tenure: Luxembourgish politics have been *all* about consensus politics for decades, both domestically and internationally.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

The EU Commission President, in and of him/herself, does not have that big an impact at all: the Council and the Parliament have a much bigger impact.

Sure, it's not a honorific title (like e.g. Ireland's President), but it's less executive in nature than you seem to believe: most of the 'power' associated with the role is PR (figurehead role, particularly relevant for diplomatic (outra-EU) purposes) and soft (selection of Commissioners). The President doesn't propose EU law, for starters: Commissioners do (and he/she must give 1 Commissioner post to each member state).

The job is *all* about consensus politics, something which British politicians are sorely lacking experience in. I'm not surprised Juncker did well in his tenure: Luxembourgish politics have been *all* about consensus politics for decades, both domestically and internationally.

Yeah, he or she justs selects the comissioners who propose all eu legislation, covering 500 million people.

What are the qualifications required to be President of the European Commission. I suppose they must be mighty impressive.

Angel1.

•  

24 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Yeah, he or she justs selects the comissioners who propose all eu legislation, covering 500 million people.

EU legislation within specific areas of consensually-pooled sovereignty, is the bit you're missing, and wherein such areas exclude taxation, non-EU immigration, defense, etc. (quite a lot, actually).

The UK signed on that particular dot way-back-when in full knowledge of the fact, and has also managed to nab itself the longest list of exceptions to the principle of any member state old and newer, to the extent of enjoying the sweetest EU membership deal by a country mile.

But manifestly, these days it's not good enough for very many Brits anymore, so well...good luck to them, they can discover and enjoy life without the perks, with luck they might find it formative :)

Edited by L00b

56 minutes ago, L00b said:

But manifestly, these days it's not good enough for very many Brits anymore, so well...good luck to them, they can discover and enjoy life without the perks, with luck they might find it formative :)

Very many Brits never enjoyed the so-called 'perks' of EU membership despite living under its rule for the last 46 years.

I guess they won't miss something they never had.

Edited by Car Boot

7 hours ago, horribleblob said:

Angela Merkel would be my choice.

As long the grim reaper doesn't have her ticket.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Very many Brits never enjoyed the so-called 'perks' of EU membership despite living under its rule for the last 46 years.

Did you have any useful contribution to make to this thread about the EU Commission President, or are you lost?  :)

15 minutes ago, L00b said:

Did you have any useful contribution to make to this thread about the EU Commission President, or are you lost?  :)

Why is that not useful? Perhaps understanding why people are dissilusioned is useful, and ovoids propogating a we-know-best atitude that has caused so many problems.

6 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Why is that not useful? Perhaps understanding why people are dissilusioned is useful, and ovoids propogating a we-know-best atitude that has caused so many problems.

Because it's senseless haranguing. When Comrade Boot deigns putting in some effort with articulating his views, I'll be sure to engage constructively. I've been waiting a long time.

I have zero problem with disillusioned, contrarian or opposite-believing people, when they debate and engage rationally, without bad faith. They're few and far-between on here. In the EU/Brexit sphere, unbeliever, long before your time, was one of these rare exceptions, and there are threads' worth of intelligent debate still there to prove it.

12 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Everyone on zero hour  contract employment has benefitted from EU legislation. Not many people there you seem to believe. 

Stop making statements with no facts to back them up please. 

Edited by ez8004

16 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Everyone on zero hour  contract employment has benefitted from EU legislation. Not many people there you seem to believe. 

Stop making statements with no facts to back them up please. 

I'm no fan of Car Boot, but to say, as you seem to, that we needed the EU to provide the legislation is disingenuous - an 'out of the EU' UK could just as easily have implemented it.