Bad language from a legend

3 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

You can quote whatever "evidence" you like, but that doesn't change the basic premise that if you knowingly speak or act in a way that others may find offensive, then that is disrespectful.   It doesn't matter whether those who are offended by it are the majority or the minority.  You have a choice, and you are choosing to act in a way that you know may cause others offence, when you don't have to.

It's really that simple.  

I suppose you are right.  Evidence should always come after personal opinion ;)

If it doesn't matter whether the offended people are in the minority, does that mean that Christians should stop practicing their beliefs because some people are offended by them?

What about women voting?  That will offend some people, how dare they chose to act in a way that may cause others offense?

The thing with offense is that someone is going to be offended by pretty much everything we do.  As individuals we are to make our decision regarding out freedom to act vs our potential to offend. 

We all draw a personal line somewhere.  I do not find it acceptable for instance to worship a god that slaughtered children.  I do find it acceptable to say a naughty word in a licenced establishment. 

Your line is different.  

My original comment, that most people find swearing in public acceptable has accurate.

You are in the minority, which doesn't make you wrong by the way.  But you are wrong when you say most people agree with you.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

You can quote whatever "evidence" you like, but that doesn't change the basic premise that if you knowingly speak or act in a way that others may find offensive, then that is disrespectful.   It doesn't matter whether those who are offended by it are the majority or the minority.  You have a choice, and you are choosing to act in a way that you know may cause others offence, when you don't have to.

It's really that simple.  

You’re missing their point though which is quite valid.

the previous poster said he was offended by Christianity - does that mean people should have to stop any public displays of worship?

People have always swore - it means nothing really.

swearing at someone is different to simply swearing in conversation also.

i don’t think it should be done around children due to the meanings behind

some of the swear words. 

Anyway. Who was it? Hirsty, right?

In the early 70s I called in The Golden Ball Whiston for a pint on my way home,to my surprise stood at the bar holding court was Fred Truman !.Well old fiery Fred was churning it out at the top of his voice to all and sundry using every expletive in the book and some more besides!.Now I am no shrinking violet and I can turn it out a bit myself but he impressed me with his complete indifference to other people around him and what a big headed get he was,he went down in my estimation that night alright!.Someone said he was in the area to visit his mother who lived in Whiston,true or not I don,t know!.

I can remember being warned about using 'offensive' language just for the sake of it, with the added comment that swearing constantly showed a limited intellect and vocabulary.

12 hours ago, jane2008 said:

No it isn't acceptable and I would tell you to your face if you were in earshot of my Mum or Daughter.  I must be odd too then

I agree, it's disgusting behavior. I would be having a word also. There may be places where effing and jeffing is ok, male only company maybe. But never in earshot of Ladies or children.

Angel1

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I agree, it's disgusting behavior. I would be having a word also. There may be places where effing and jeffing is ok, male only company maybe. But never in earshot of Ladies or children.

Angel1

Ladies swear too.

But never in earshot of Ladies

Another poster who doesn’t seem to realise that it is 2019! 🙄

Angel1

What century do you live in?  

How anyone can defend swearing in public places is totally beyond me, It"s called bad language, and that's what it is, end of.

Loutish behaviour.

how most people swear it doesnt have a meaning anyway, i.e What the f--- is that, whats that mean?